Where do you put clothes that aren't exactly dirty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where do you put clothes that have been worn (and IMO, should not just get folded and put back in the closet) but could easily be worn again before genuinely needing a wash?

We usually have one pair of comfy pants and a sweater out for sleepwear through the week, I try to either put them under our pillows or in one designated spot through the day.

It's those pair of pants you throw on for 2 hrs at the end of the day, or the extra sweater if you get cold that seem to add up for us. Or sometimes something you've worn for a whole day, but could get away with wearing again. DH often leaves his clothes in the middle of the floor, I put them in the laundry basket, then he goes searching for them since they weren't really dirty.

I'm happy to just do a small load every night to get everything back to perfectly clean and ready to go, but DH thinks it's too much washing. I think we could do with less washing IF those in between items had a place to call home, but I can't seem to fathom where that would be or how it would work without items getting left there, in limbo, for weeks at a time.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If they're clean enough to wear again, they're clean enough for the closet.  Dh throws his over a chair, but that bugs me so mine go in the closet.

#3 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM

hooks! each dc has a hook or hooks for pj's as well as the pair of jeans that can be worn again or hoodie.

amyandelle likes this.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#4 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

I bought command hooks-I'm an addict, they are everywhere.  In my toddler's room, our room, the baby's room (that only holds his stuff) and the bathroom, plus I'm going today to buy some for the hallway.  We hang jeans that can be re-worn, sweaters that get thrown on throughout the day, etc.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#5 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM

I picked up a over the door hook thing from mashalls. It has four hooks on it and hangs on our closet door.

#6 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM

They go back in the closet!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#7 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

I bought command hooks-I'm an addict, they are everywhere.  In my toddler's room, our room, the baby's room (that only holds his stuff) and the bathroom, plus I'm going today to buy some for the hallway.  We hang jeans that can be re-worn, sweaters that get thrown on throughout the day, etc.

I think this might work well for us. We've moved a lot (for DH's schooling, then back again to a different house), so each place has had a different set-up. I like that they can be put up and removed. I haven't wanted to drill and dismount, and our doors at the last place (for over-the-door hooks) were a very tight fit so we couldn't use them and here we have no doors (loft and sliding closet doors). I'll keep an eye out for them....probably 3 per person- one for PJS, one for tops, one for bottoms, and maybe one for a bag/backpack?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM

You know, I used to think they shouldn't go back in the closet or dresser, but about a week ago, I really thought about it.  WHY shouldn't they just get put back away?  I couldn't come up with a real reason.  As a previous poster said, if they were clean enough to wear again, then they are clean enough to touch other clothes, so why not just put them back where they came from.

So now, that's what I do:D  Especially since in some cases it might be another day or two before I wear them again.

#9 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM

Agreed, if they are clean enough to wear again, we mostly put back in the closet.  We have hooks and over the door hangers too for various things. (Including bathroom towels. DS's take their towel back to their room and hang on the hook behind the door. This way, they can use their towel all week as it's just used to dry off a clean body after a shower!)

The jeans you wear each night, or sweater you put on when you're cold would be in logical places. I have a sweatshirt that hangs over the back of my home office chair where I'll need it. And the jeans to be worn again are laid over the back of a chair near my bed. Since I'm going to wear the items regularly, I don't put them away.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#10 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM

I just put them in the basket haha.  However with all the rearranging and decluttering I've been doing, I'm considering designating a drawer in the dresser our 'worn but not dirty' spot.

I'm too lazy to hang things back up or I'd just put them away again haha.. shoving in a drawer or basket works better for me.

#11 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM

We have a walk-in closet and DH has a basket on his side that he throws those clothes into.  I usually fold mine and put them on top of the laundry hamper.

#12 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM

I have a second laundry hamper for "recycling"  ...clothes that can be worn again ... as well as hooks on the back of the door for the most frequently worn items (PJs, work uniform, favourite sweater)

#13 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 05:11 PM

We just fold them and either set them on the bedside table or on top of our dresser until we wear them again.  Sometimes I just lay it over the end of the bed.   

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#14 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Folded on the top of the dresser so they are easy to get to for the next day. A lot of time (specially since I don't have very much clothing) I wear skirts at least 2 days before washing and its 2 days in a row I wear them there doesn't seem much sense to hanging them back up. Sweaters/jackets get hung back up. DH likes to hang his uniform on the extra towel rod in the bathroom he shaves/gets dressed in. Or he throws it across the back of the couch. Whatever works as long as its not on my floor.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 PM

When I'm good, they get hung up in the closet. When I'm lazy, they get tossed over a footstool/sewing basket we keep in the closet. About once a week,  I hang everything that is on the footstool.

Except for sweaters, I don't put things back in dresser drawers, as I feel they are probably slightly damp from wearing and need to be aired out, rather than in a drawer.

Once a sweater hangs for a while or sits on the wire shelf, it can go back in a drawer.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#16 of 23 Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Girl View Post

They go back in the closet!

Yep, I hang mine back up. Dh's sit on a bench in the master bedroom. The kids both have hooks on the back of the doors.

#17 of 23 Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Right now I have a basket in my closet where I lay things that have been worn but I'll rewear.  However, once my closet is a little more cleared out (decluttering is underway!) I have a peg rack I plan to hang up for this purpose.  I'm going to do the same for DD so that her play clothes, especially, can be worn more than once.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#18 of 23 Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM

I usually drape them over the dresser or hamper.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#19 of 23 Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

You know, I used to think they shouldn't go back in the closet or dresser, but about a week ago, I really thought about it.  WHY shouldn't they just get put back away?  I couldn't come up with a real reason.  As a previous poster said, if they were clean enough to wear again, then they are clean enough to touch other clothes, so why not just put them back where they came from.

So now, that's what I do:D  Especially since in some cases it might be another day or two before I wear them again.

Exactly! I used to think they needed a special place, but changed my mind when I really thought about it.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#20 of 23 Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM

I have a small wire mesh cart: the kind with 3 shelves. It's great because the wire mesh allows clothes to dry out (such as work out clothes that are icky but that I will wear again). Also jeans (I'll wear them for a few days, but they are not clean/unwrinkled enough to go back in the closet) and sweatshirts. And bras, because I'll wear them more than once unless they are icky.

For "good" sweaters, dress pants or other nicer clothes that could be worn again if they hang up for a while, I have a fancy hanger in the closet. Everything to the left of the hanger is clean, things to the right have been worn once or more.

#21 of 23 Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 AM

In my bedroom, I've got a special lined basket just for this. Couldn't live without it. thumb.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#22 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM

interesting thread... I've been thinking about this too as we settle into a new, small apartment where 4 of us are sharing one closet and one dresser (and one bedroom, and one laundry basket, and no in-apt laundry). I am wondering if an overdoor hook would be good for this exact purpose- I've been resisting getting one b/c ime they get totally overloaded and then just kind of create more mess. But we do have a door that is rarely getting closed and they could kind of hide back there...

I'd been thinking of designated hooks in the closet for this, but the closet is truly very small and now I am thinking there is nowhere for those hooks to realistically go. We already hang all adult clothes other than socks and underwear, plus kids things that need to hang. So, what I mean is, its full. (that said we obviously don't own a lot of clothes).

A special hamper or basket just for this might also work on the closet floor...

dissertating mom to three

#23 of 23 Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Wool sweaters get folded up and go back into the dresser.  Anything else gets folded and placed on the shelf on my nightstand.  I'll wear jeans or something a second time even if the baby spit up on them or something, but I don't consider that clean enough for the closet.  If I washed everything the baby spits up on or his brother wipes his food covered hands on, I think I'd wash everything I own every single day.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page