Motivated Moms 2011 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgale View Post

Just curious if anyone who works outside the home has found this doable?  I am gone for 48 hours per week--usually 2 24 hour shifts though, so I'm almost always home at least 4 full days.  Would you just skip the days you were gone or add those chores onto other days?  I think if I were home everyday it would be much easier to get into a routine...

Jessi

I think it is doable, but I personally would just cross off the days of the chores your are working your shift rather than adding them to the days you are home. Especially if the 2 shifts you do rotate, then eventually everything would get done. If you see something not getting done, you can always add it, but why not start slow, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Just curious if anyone who works outside the home has found this doable?  I am gone for 48 hours per week--usually 2 24 hour shifts though, so I'm almost always home at least 4 full days.  Would you just skip the days you were gone or add those chores onto other days?  I think if I were home everyday it would be much easier to get into a routine...

Jessi

I find that I tend to sort of clump the days together.  Some of our days are just too busy to come home and do the things on the list.  I always do the bathrooms on Sunday night instead of Monday just to get a head start on the week.  And a lot of times I play catch up on Friday/Saturday.

But even if we don't get everything done on the list then it is ok.  It just really helps me prioritize what needs to be done each week. 

#33 of 43 Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Jessi

I WOH and I really like it.  I'm a teacher, so when I'm on a break, I'm really on top of things, but when school's in session not so much.  Sometimes if I have a really busy day, I'll try to catch up on tasks from a previous day if I have time, but if by the end of the week when I print my new list they're not done, I forget them.  Even when I am really busy and can't do everything, though, I really like having the list up on my fridge.  I like being able to check things off and feel like I'm doing *something*, even if it's something small.  I also like that fact that with the list I stay reminded of tasks, even if I don't get them done every week.  I find that I don't have as many of those moments where I go omg, I haven't mopped my kitchen floor in MONTHS!  Or, shoot, when's the last time I actually changed the kids' sheets...things like that.

#34 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 AM

I love the MM lists and of course all the things I put off (cleaning light fixtures for one) are finally getting done. BUT! Am I obsessed with the list and neglecting my boy? EEKS. Anybody else feel this way?

bf, cd, no circ, selective vax, attempting toddler ec'ing, kick off your shoes at the door while we trying to simplify our lives kinda family.
#35 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgyrl View Post

I love the MM lists and of course all the things I put off (cleaning light fixtures for one) are finally getting done. BUT! Am I obsessed with the list and neglecting my boy? EEKS. Anybody else feel this way?

How long have you been doing MM?  Are you "white knuckling" it?  I did the list perfectly for the first few weeks, but then backed off and did the majority of the list the majority of the time once I got in the rhythm of MM.  I think I also try to include my kiddos in completing the list whenever possible (help load the laundry, wash the windows, dust, wipe off the kitchen table, pick up clutter, etc.).   I *really* need to put them to work cleaning our shower, bc that is the one main area that I'm having trouble staying on top  of.

~maddymama

#36 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 PM

I try to get my tasks done by 9am(homeschool time) aside from supper.  Then I drop things and we do our school and have time together.  I think it helps me to focus intensely on what I need to do then I can then have time w/ the kids and it actually frees me up because then I don't feel divided trying to do things and pay attention to them at the same time.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#37 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 02:21 PM

I'd like to try it out this year to see if it works for us (thanks for the code PP!).

For those of you who have used the system before, what layout would you recommend? I plan on keeping it in a binder on the kitchen counter.

#38 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgyrl View Post

How long have you been doing MM?  Are you "white knuckling" it?  I did the list perfectly for the first few weeks, but then backed off and did the majority of the list the majority of the time once I got in the rhythm of MM.  I think I also try to include my kiddos in completing the list whenever possible (help load the laundry, wash the windows, dust, wipe off the kitchen table, pick up clutter, etc.).   I *really* need to put them to work cleaning our shower, bc that is the one main area that I'm having trouble staying on top  of.

~maddymama

I've only been doing MM for 3 weeks...what is 'white knuckling'? I am not trying to get everything done or I'd lose my mind. My DS (2yo) already helps with laundry, washing, wiping, he's a bit of a clean-a-holic to be honest. Perhaps I need to just get into the rhythm and make more freezer batches for food 'cause I try to make most things from scratch and that is super time-consuming.  It's just those extra things I never get to (like the light fixtures) suddenly feel like I'm cleaning all the time...

bf, cd, no circ, selective vax, attempting toddler ec'ing, kick off your shoes at the door while we trying to simplify our lives kinda family.
#39 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 PM

I cook from scratch as well, it is a necessity w/ cooking gluten/dairy/soy and mostly grain free.  I multi-task a lot, put on the eggs for breakfast and run and start a load of clothes, or unload the dishes while something is cooking.  I use the crockpot for supper and that is a time that the kids can be involved as well, it doesn't have to be kid time or task time.  Lunch is often quick things- maybe leftovers or some soup or tuna/egg salad.  

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#40 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM

white knuckling is when you have to do it all and be perfect and have such a tight grip on it that it consumes your life.  Think of some diets that people are on food wise for losing weight that they individual "CAN NOT CHEAT ON" or else they loose it.  That's an example of white knuckling it. If you can leave a task or two and feel good about yourself then you probably aren't white knuckling it. 

BTW, I don't clean the light fixtures.  Eventually I will, but right now I do the best I can with most tasks daily... I average between 75% and 100% of completing the tasks daily.  It also gets easier to get into a routine the more you do it.

~maddymama

#41 of 43 Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

I just downloaded the app for my iPad. I did as much as I could today and it felt good. I am excited if this makes a difference in my house.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#42 of 43 Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 AM

I purchased the 2011 book a few weeks ago. I guess I didn't factor in that I have to actually do the tasks each day to reap the benefits of having a clean house. Apparently having the pdf unopened and ignored in my computer is not enough. LOL

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#43 of 43 Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamam View Post

For those of you who have used the system before, what layout would you recommend? I plan on keeping it in a binder on the kitchen counter.

I only print out two weeks at a time -- i.e., one page front and back -- and stick it to the fridge.  That way I can glance at it throughout the day on my way past -- so if I'm heading upstairs to change a diaper, for instance, I can go, "oh, ok, while I'm up there I should clean the toilet."  I also add my other random to-do items to the list as they come up -- like "go to post office" or whatever -- so most of my day's tasks end up in the same, visible place.  At the end of two weeks, I "forward" any tasks that REALLY need doing ASAP but haven't been done (like last week, I never did the refrigerator door, and it really needs it, so I added it to this week's list), but I just cross everything else off and then toss the page in the recycling basket. 

It helps to keep only the items for the current week visible, for me.  A binder on the kitchen counter would be way too much clutter, for me, but I have a very small kitchen so counter space is at a premium. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page