31 days to a new housekeeping habit challenge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any interest in this?

Pick one housekeeping habit that you'd like to work on in January and commit to doing it every single day.

Whether it's committing to a morning or evening routine, spending fifteen minutes decluttering or even just taking out the garbage: pick one thing that needs to become second nature and a life long habit.

To join:

1) Who you are

2) What your housekeeping struggles are

3) Your goal and how you plan to get there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 AM

1) Who you are 
A WOHM to 3 kids, and wife to a WAHD.

Everything.  Being too tired to do anything after work and no time to do anything before work.  Then the family is just sitting around doing nothing--take that back, they are making messes for me to clean. 

My goal:  To have a house that "cleans itself" by having set routines or habits that get done.  To start with, I'd like to have the kitchen clean before I go to bed every night.  I make dinner, but first I end up having to do the dishes from the previous night and all that day...which starts a vicious cycle because not all the dishes fit in the dishwasher, so I have to leave some for "later"...which tonight's dishes get added to, then DH says "don't worry about the dishes, honey"  so I don't and then...wash, rinse, repeat.  (Seriously, when I hear someone tell me not to worry about something, that means they are going to do it--not, oh, leave it and come back to it when it will be harder because at this point you have to do it.)

Key:  (I'm borrowing yours, since my goal is similar)

flowersforyou.gif Kitchen clean after every meal - not the goal, but would be great!

dishes.gif Kitchen cleaned for the day

inthet.gif Nothing got done because I was genuinely too sick (should be rare--I get sick less than once a year)

bag.gif Could have done it, but didn't

irked.gif  Not home to do it...(due to work)...what will it look like when I get home?

joy.gifDH did the kitchen!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1) Who you are

SAHM to 5 kids... homeschooling the older ones

We have no routine, and I'm s-l-o-w at doing everything, especially things that aren't routine.  I have a few good habits started, but I have a long way to go.

I think the most pressing thing right now is a morning routine.  Our dinner/evening routine is running OK, and it won't take much effort to improve it, but our morning routine is all over the place.  Mostly because I get distracted by a bunch of stuff I want to do.  I'm a morning person and want to do everything in the morning, but I really need to focus on getting the kids into the habit of a morning routine so we can get on with our day, and make time for my other projects (mostly decluttering right now) in the afternoon or late evening.  I do want to make a quick organizing/decluttering project part of my morning routine, though, like one shelf in a cupboard or the top of a closet.  Small steps.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM

1) Who you are

I'm a single stay at home mama to a sweet little sonny boy who's 3 months old.

Getting the dishes done! I really don't like doing the dishes and I seem to have so many of them all the time, which is hard to understand since I'm the only one here. I have no routine for anything right now and I know I really need to have one. So my goal is to come up with a nice routine and get it started and then stick to it.

My first goal is to have the dishes done each night before bed. It should be pretty easy and I should NOT have any excuses for them not being done. My kitchen is pretty small, more like a galley really so it takes me about 5 minutes to wipe the counter and stove after washing the dishes, which should only take about 10-15 minutes at most. So dishes should be washed each night before bed and then put away when I wake up in the morning.

dishes.gif Dishes done each night 

Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

1 - SAHM with 3 children aged 11 to 3

2 - reading too much about how to get things done .... and not doing it even !

especially for my weekly routine and monthly routine

(worked all of last year on my daily routine, am managing 8 out of 9 tasks on it, most days)

3 - find a way not to feel upset if I don't spend as much time online as I used to & actually implementing what I've been researching so far, either what I printed out from others of what I wrote for myself already

Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM

1) Who you are

SAHM to a 4yo and 2yo.

Never learned good housekeeping habits as a child and have big emotional roadblocks to learning them as an adult. Lack of routine combined with perfectionist tendencies, so if I don't have the energy/time etc. to do a perfect job, I tend to do nothing.

Many parts of 2lilsweetfoxes' dishes scenario are so familiar. Over the years, even before kids, there have been many times when DH and I bought dinner because there was a big pile of dishes to do before we could start cooking.

Focus on the kitchen - my main goal is to clean up shortly after dinner each evening. I tend to leave it for 'later', then it gets late and I leave it for 'the morning', then something else happens and it doesn't get touched until afternoon or even the next evening... you get the picture. DH does help, but the kitchen is mainly my responsibility.

Other goals:

Sell or otherwise get rid of the big fridge in the corner. It wouldn't fit in the fridge space when we moved in, so we've bought one that does fit and just need to get the old one out of here.

Organise all the bits and pieces that accumulate on top of the microwave and corners of the benchtops but that don't actually belong in the kitchen.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:35 PM

SAHM to 15 mo and  6.5 YO dd's

I am just a mess. I'm working with an organizer to get it together, but I feel like I can rarely relax in my own home because my to-do list is so long. I had a tough couple of years before my second dd was born. I was sick, then dealt with infertility, then miscarriages, then fertility treatments, then a nervous pregnancy where I had to spend a lot of time on the couch in the first 2 trimesters. The first year with a baby isn't the best time for getting it all together, so here I am. I'm good at keeping up with floors, bathrooms, wiping counters and such, but the dishes and laundry need to be more consistent. And the clutter has to go. I don't know what to pick. I guess I can add things each month, so just pick something.

It'll have to be the kitchen. DH and I are going to clean it after dinner every night.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM

1) Who you are
I
am Tiffany, SAHM to 2 little ones under 3. I am hoping to go back to school come fall.

My housekeeping struggle is keeping up with everything. It seems like my little ones make  a new mess for everyone 1 I get cleaned. Add DH working nights (thankfully he is going back to days on the 4th of this month) and a very clingy youngest and nothing gets done. We have a very small house and its cluttered and disorganized. After 5 moves in 3 years I have lost track of what we have and all sense of organization.

My goal is to get organized again and get back into a routine- so that my house stays clean but I don't feel like I am cleaning all the time, which is how it feels now. I want my house to run smoothly so I can start taking classes in the fall to finish my degree.  To start with I am going to keep the kitchen clean. I deep cleaned it yesterday and now I want to keep it that way. Which mostly means washing the dishes every day and wiping the counter every day.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Happy New Year!

It's so comforting to know that I'm not alone in this.  Sometimes I get so depressed especially around the holidays because I visit other people's immaculate houses and I just want to cry.  I've always looked for quick solutions (and yes, even Flylady is a relatively quick solution for some of us) and then I realized that it took me years to make my bad habits so I will not get new habits over night.  Everyone always talks about baby steps, but babies have to learn how to roll over before they can sit up before they can crawl and only then walk!  Hence, the idea for this challenge.

aratiaw you described my situation perfectly!  I always leave things till later and then it just gets worse.  We were visiting my IL's over Christmas and after Christmas dinner, when everybody was too full to do anything but go take a nap, my 67 yo MIL went straight to washing all the dishes by hand!  DH and I tried to convince her to put them off till later and she wouldn't hear of it.  There was nothing else to do but help.  It honestly didn't take as long as I expected and we were still able to nap a little later, but the kitchen was clean!  She was more tired than any of us because she had gotten up early to cook, but the habit of cleaning immediately after a meal is so ingrained in her that it would be against her nature to put it off, even if none of us had helped her.  That's when I realized that is the reason why my kitchen is always dirty and her's is always clean.  But, it will take a long time to get into such a habit.

IsaFrench, I've been reading housekeeping books since I was a little girl.  Nothing has sunk in :(

Welcome everyone and let's help each other along by being accountable!

1. hearts.gifAdding a new smiley because DH swept me off my feet by cleaning the kitchen and even scrubbing the floor!  Today would have been a bag.gif otherwise because I wasn't able to clean the kitchen yesterday like I had intended to (to start with a clean slate) and was too tired from the New Year's celebrations and couldn't get up to do *anything* purely from being overwhelmed (the kitchen was very icky).  DH made me take a nap with Ladybug and indicated that he would take one too (he had stayed up later than I did), but when I woke up I came into a clean living room and kitchen.  I am so in love with my husband.

Key:

flowersforyou.gif Kitchen clean after every meal - not the goal, but would be great!

inthet.gif Nothing got done because I was genuinely too sick

hearts.gifDH saves the day!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM

1: Who are you?

I am a SAHM to 3 kids, ages 5 and almost 2 (twins)

2: What your housekeeping struggles are:

Keeping the kitchen and the front room picked up.

3: Your goal and how do you plan to get there?

Make sure I clean the kitchen before going to bed to make sure the sink is shiny and ready to go for the next day.  For the front room:  Clean it as soon as the twins go down for their afternoon nap.  That mean, clean up clutter, put toys away and vacuum the rug and clean of the top of the cabinet.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
Old 01-01-2011, 08:49 PM

day # 1 and the kitchen is done! Yay!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 PM

1) Who you are

SAHM to 10 y/o & 4 y/o girls.

As is the case with many of you I struggle cleaning up after dinner. I leave some food on the table in case the girls want to finish up within an hour or two after the meal. Then I forget about it.

I also struggle with laundry. My 10 y/o likes to change her clothes multiple times a day, and I have to sort the clothes, and I end up with several loads I can't get done by the end of the day. It all ends up piling up.

I need to set up a strict schedule, print it out, and display it. I'll be working on that tomorrow. Just found this post and wanted to say I'm in!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Jan. 1 dishes.gif All the dishes are clean and drying in the rack, except one. It's the casserole dish though so I'm allowing myself the smiley b/c it does need a good soak, BUT it must be done tomorrow morning right after I put all those clean dishes away.

So today was a great start for me and my 2 challenges of creating a new habit with my housecleaning and having a nice. healthy home cooked meal. Thanks for helping me mamas!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM

End of January 1st and my sink is shiny for the morning!!!  The living room will be picked up tomorrow but since it's Sunday, I won't worry about how clean it is but I will declutter tomorrow night so it's ready for kids to play on Monday.  I will make sure it's ready for my dh to walk through the door right after I put the twins down for their morning nap.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 AM

Starting a little late, but really, that's how things go around here (thus, why I need to be here eyesroll.gif)

1) Who you are

Tanya, SAHM to a 7yo DD and 4yo son, relaxed homeschoolers

I never had good routines to start with, but these last few years, I've been working on health stuff for me and the kids, and that was the priority, and everything else came in second.  Now I want to start creating a peaceful, relaxing home, instead of the chaos and piles of unfiled papers that exist here now. 

I'm starting small, I've still got some fatigue and I am, again, making dietary changes that _should_ meet the needs of everyone, but that takes a lot of mental energy.  So small goals for me.

So I'm starting with laundry.  I run loads fine, but getting stuff folded and then put away in a timely fashion, that does me in, and then that disorder breeds more disorder elsewhere and it snowballs.  My goal will be to have everything that's done drying folded and put away by bedtime each night.  Realistically it should be done by 3pm because sometimes my energy fades fast after that point and just getting dinner done is hard.  And I want to include the kids, to help teach them better skills and routines than I learned as a child. 

I'm going to call that pass/fail, with a high pass for including the kids. 

And I think I want to say that I'll take 15 minutes to tidy or organize something.  Don't care what, plenty to choose from, but a month of 15-minuteses will do wonders around here.  That'll just be pass/fail. 

Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 AM

1) Who you are

SAHM to a 2 year old boy

2) What your housekeeping struggles are

I had a really great example growing up, my mom, but she didn't teach me anything. She is super tidy, but never let my sister or I help out around the house. Her mother lives with her now and they constantly fight about chores because my mom has to have everything done a certain way. Also, I'm a huge procrastinator, so I keep putting chores off until they are way too much to tackle.

3) Your goal and how you plan to get there

I ordered the Motivated Moms planner to help me know what needs to be done each day. It's all spelled out for me so all I need to do is make the time to do it!

joy.giflurk.gif

Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

1. hearts.gif

2. bag.gif This is awful, it's only the second day.

Key:

inthet.gif Nothing got done because I was genuinely too sick

hearts.gifDH saves the day!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Jan.1. dishes.gif

Jan. 2. dishes.gif All clean,except the cheese grater and the glass that I've been drinking from all day. The cheese grater will get washed before bed, but I want to use it to make my snack with as soon as my sons goes to sleep.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM

Day 2 for me:  Living room is ok.  My dh picked up toys and put away shoes earlier.  I have 2 baskets of clothes to fold.  The kitchen is ok but could use some help.  I know my sink isn't shiny but I will take care of it before I go to bed.  My dh helped in there earlier and put some things away.  I would like to make sure my table is cleared off too.  I am going to take the time to get sippy cups ready for tomorrow too.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Who you are:

My name is Amy.  I am a SAHM to 3 girls--as of the end of this month, they will be 11, 8, 5.  I homeschool the two oldest.  The littlest goes to a preschool 3 mornings/week.

Housekeeping struggles:

UGH. . . I read about myself in so many of the previous posts.  I know I am late for joining, but this really ties in with some of my new year's resolutions.  I find that I feel unsettled if things aren't taken care of, but we really get busy and interrupted frequently throughout the day so things slip by and get piled up (esp with dishes and paperwork).  

GOAL for the month:  Have the main area (kitchen/living/dining) tidy before bed.  That way I can start the day feeling on top of things.  The biggest part of this will be the kitchen, but the others have to be there as well.  I did start this on the first so I will just keep adding to this post. 

KEY:

joy.gif  YES--Job done!

shrug.gif   About half way done.

hide.gif  Not done at all.

DAY

1 ............  joy.gif

2 ............ joy.gif

3 ............  shrug.gif  (had laundry on the couch that needed to be in sleeping kids' rooms)

4 ............ joy.gif

5.............  hide.gif  (technically, some is done. . . but quite frankly I am very grumpy tonight and left the kitchen longing for me.  Because it is the worst part of my goal I labled todayas not done at all.)

6............. shrug.gif

7................joy.gif

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM

Did about half of the dishes. Better than none, I guess.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:36 PM

1) Who you are

I'm a WAHM, wife of a WAHF, Mom of two.  

All of it.

I want a tidy uncluttered clean home.  I plan on getting there 15 minutes at a time :)

Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM

1) who you are
I'm Marina WOHM of 1 yo DS and 3 furkids dog2.gif I do have housecleaning help every other week but in between the house falls apart

2) My housekeeping struggles are many but the main issues that bother me - stuff that isn't picked up and put away and dog hair everywhere.

3) My goal - on I'm going to start with 2 small but important tasks - getting DS's toys picked up every night and clearing the dining table (it ends up catching everything from shopping, to mail, to random stuff and looks terrible).
My bonus tasks are vacuuming the house (ideally it would get done every 3 days) and mopping the kitchen floor (I really don't do that enough bag.gif).

Key - I will have a smiley for each main task and a bonus smiley if bonus task gets done.

luxlove.gif DH did the task
partners.gif we did it together
whistling.gif task got half done
hide.gif I procrastinated
irked.gif I couldn't do it because fate interfered

broc1.gif bonus task got done
faint.gif DH did a bonus task

sleepytime.gif
Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Task 1 - DS's toys luxlove.gif (I picked up a stack of books but he really did 95%)
Task 2 - dining table partners.gif

No bonus tasks tonight but a pretty good start.

Key

sleepytime.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 AM

1) Who you are

Stay/Work at home mommie to 3 girls (12, 8, 6) and a step-son (12) that we see rarely (once a month-ish or less)

I do really good at the beginning of the week - monday is my bathroom day, I get that done and the girls help (each of them get 3 chores after school), but as the rest of the week carries on, I don't keep up with stuff.

I've had many plans over the years - some that have worked really well (think Fly-lady binder with checklists for kids to check off with dry-erase markers), other that didn't (powerpoint presentation slide for each day of the week (I have to have my laptop up and open to know what to do - if I don't get on my computer - I don't do any of it)

My plan is to do one room or one set of rooms each day, keep up with laundry (a different thing each day) and keep up with the girls' bedrooms each day - it can usually be days that go by when I don't look in there rooms (dh does the tucking in at night) and that is disasterious. I also need to make sure I sweep and dust every other day (DD#2 is allegic to dustmites and vacumming and dusting needs to be done when she's at school and more regularly.

I also need to keep up with the dishes more. I try to do the pans as we're rinsing dinner dishes. Our dishwasher sucks so we have to rinse everything really good and even then stuff stiff comes out dirty. I need to hand wash all our tupperware or else it doesn't get clean or gets hard water stain spots on it and is not so clean.

Okay so the one thing I probably need to work on is sticking to my plan and getting the dishes done each night. I also want to exercise for 30 minutes/day. Drink 2 glasses water/day.

Monday - Bathroom, Tuesday - Bedroom, Wednesday - Kitchen, Thursday - Dinning Room, Friday - Living/Music Room, Saturday - Kid's Bedroom

The Plan for today (Monday):

• Laundry - Wash, Fold, Put Away Wipes, Napkins, Washcloths, Rags
  • Vacuum & Dust Living Room
  • Clean Shower/Tub
  • Write Bathroom Chore List for afterschool for girls (Clean Sinks, Sweep Floor, Clean Toilets, Scoop Litter Box, Trash Can Game, Clean Mirrors)
  • Take Trash Out to Curb (we sometimes miss it and then it piles up) I used to count on DH to do this, but he always forgets once he gets home from work at night. So I need to start doing it during the day.
  • Extra - Mail an Embroidery Order, Start un-decorating the house with Christmas Stuff (maybe one room a day until it's done)

Key:

energy.gifDone, yeah

run.gifstill more to do

duh.gif didn't do anything

shrug.gif something suddenly came up

Hoping to keep up with this thread and keep myself motivated,

Erin

lady.gifNatural, Dancing, Sewing WAHMommie to 3 beautiful girls reading.gif  Peace.gif wave.gif and an awesome step-son nut.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post

Key

Just realized I forgot a smiley for when I alone do the task - LOL! I am really not expecting DH to do everything every night. orngtongue.gif My -I got it done smiley would be this thumb.gif

sleepytime.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM

I like everyone else's sliding scales better than my pass/fail.  Because I'm going to see a long string of fails if I only allow 2 choices for myself. 

Yesterday: 15 minutes of organizing happened, a few areas are noticeably better.  Laundry?  Got the new loads put away, and maybe 1/3 of the pre-existing mountain.  It looks a lot better anyway. 

Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

I like everyone else's sliding scales better than my pass/fail.  Because I'm going to see a long string of fails if I only allow 2 choices for myself. 

I never liked Yoda's "Do or Do Not, There is No Try."  I'm not a little green alien and half the time the best a person can do is try :)

Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Jan 3 -- so far, I've only had a smooth morning routine for one day, but the other two were sleep in/enjoy the rest of vacation days, so I let them slide.  I have been putting a bit more effort into our evening routine, and it has made a big difference.  Apparently, I wasn't too far away from being able to finish up cleaning the kitchen and vacuum, and it makes a big difference the next morning.

Tomorrow, we're back to normal and I have high hopes for our morning routine.  I have to get to bed early tonight, though.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

User Tag List