Really old toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What to do with toys from my childhood that are sentimental, but just stuffed in a box and cluttering up the closets?  Cabbage Patch Kids were big when I was a child, and I have about 4 of them plus a Koosa (CPK pet) and various other stuffed animals/dolls.  It feels just wrong to toss them, but they are pretty old, and I am sure no thrift store type places would want them. I just can't figure out what to do with them.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I donated all the toys from my childhood except maybe 1 or 2 I thought my girls would like. When they didn't like them I donated those as well. Another thought would be a shelter. Honestly someone would probably love those toys as much as you did when you were a kid so donating them wouldn't be a bad thing.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'd sell them on ebay - the old toys really go for quite a bit, even in lesser condition.

Our thrift shops sell them - I watch for vintage little people stuff for my DD as she loves my old ones.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#4 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Thrift stores take everything around here.  You can either bag it and drop it at the door or they have these drop boxes in grocery store parking lots.  CPK arent 'really old' though.  I had one too and its not really at collector level or anything.  Now my grandma' toys those are REALLY old and collectables!

What I did when cleaning out was to keep one or 2 really special things, maybe a CPK doll, a Care Bear, Smurf figure etc and donate the rest (or see if its selling for $$ on ebay).  I also gave some stuff an inhome daycare.  Inhome daycare's are always needing toys it seems and the mom's really appreciate anything.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 AM

Oh my goodness....definitely sell the Cabbage Patch Kids on ebay! They are very sought after....

SAHM to three
#6 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM

I donated all my old toys except 1 tub when ds was a baby. I decided to keep one bin just for sentimental reasons, and I do put some out to be played with, and ds has actually taken over a couple of the stuffed animals. I don't think it is wrong to keep some if they hold sentimental value, but just pick out your favorites and donate the rest.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#7 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I think I will try to take them to Goodwill tomorrow. I just feel so badly about dumping them there.  I guess I am just sentimental about them. I did check out E-Bay and Koosa's are not being bid on that are prices as low as $5, so not worth it to me.  Not much going for CPK's either.  DS has two that he just loves, I guess I am going to just bite the bullet and let them go.  I also have a bunch of Vermont Teddy Bears that need to go too.  I NEED to let these things go.  *sigh*

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#8 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Do you have a friend who could take them in for you? Sometimes with sentimental objects its easier if someone else is the one to take them in and give them away.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I made one trip to Goodwill this morning with a ton of stuff, including the toys.  Now to hoe out the rest and make another trip there!  It was hard to put it all into boxes, but once they were closed up, it wasn't too bad to drop them off and I feel so much lighter now!  Off to purge more!!!

#10 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 PM

I have one box (about 1ft square, maybe a tad bigger) with sentimental stuff. Do you have something like that? I like being able to have just a few things (a couple toys & books -- actually I need to pull the books out for DS soon!) and some 'memories' (awards, a few pieces from the collections I had as a kid like stamps, coins, & fans, photo buttons from 5th grade)... all those things that you don't want hanging around your house but are fun to look through once or twice a year & show to your spouse & kids... I don't feel having just one box weighs me down in any way & it certainly isn't taking up much space in our crawlspace. :) Decluttering feels great but a few 'souvenirs' of your past can be very meaningful as well. 

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Well done, old toys are the hardest!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page