Now THIS is de-cluttered... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post

I went back and checked ---she says she takes the jars with her to the super market :-)

I still don't get that. I stock up on stuff before I run out. To use her same jars, she would have to totally run out of something to be able to go back and fill up the jar again. No wonder they need a second car for her errands!
#62 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 AM

it's really not a big deal. you just bring that jar when you run out. on bike. and i'm not organized AT ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post

I went back and checked ---she says she takes the jars with her to the super market :-)

I still don't get that. I stock up on stuff before I run out. To use her same jars, she would have to totally run out of something to be able to go back and fill up the jar again. No wonder they need a second car for her errands!

#63 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 PM

What do they do with leftover food that's gone bad, etc?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#64 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I would imagine they might have one or two extra jars that they use for shopping and then transfer to the storage jar when they return home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View PostWhat do they do with leftover food that's gone bad, etc?

compost, I would presume...

We will never get to the point of zero waste, though I admire it immensely. We do compost all vegetable, dairy and egg products. We don't eat a ton of meat, and what little we do usually gets fed to the dog as treats when there are leftovers.

#65 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post

Quote:

I would imagine they might have one or two extra jars that they use for shopping and then transfer to the storage jar when they return home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View PostWhat do they do with leftover food that's gone bad, etc?

We will never get to the point of zero waste, though I admire it immensely. We do compost all vegetable, dairy and egg products. We don't eat a ton of meat, and what little we do usually gets fed to the dog as treats when there are leftovers.

But milk and meats cant go in the compost. I compost whatever I can but some still goes in the trash.

I'm guessing they dont' have a dog becuase there's waste associated with taht too...

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#66 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But milk and meats cant go in the compost. I compost whatever I can but some still goes in the trash.

I'm guessing they dont' have a dog becuase there's waste associated with taht too...

Mill Valley (like its neighbor San Francisco) composts food waste.  So meat and pretty much everything else can go into compost there.

#67 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mill Valley (like its neighbor San Francisco) composts food waste.  So meat and pretty much everything else can go into compost there.

I wish we had that here! Food in the trash stinks up teh kitchen. Its freezing out so I've been putting old food in a bag outside and it freezes quickly but stray cats still try to get at it...

#68 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 05:28 PM

#69 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Yes! I could look through Sara's house pics all day!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#70 of 97 Old 01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

a bokashi bin is also a possibility for meat waste and some dairy waste (not milk because it is too wet, but it can handle cheese). it ferments the stuff first, then you can compost it like normal compost. it doesn't require a hot compost. 

#71 of 97 Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM

I put (some) meat waste out for the crows. Does anyone else (besides me and my mom and grandmom) do this?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#72 of 97 Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That was a good article, thanks for sharing!

Decluttering 500/2010
#73 of 97 Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

I put (some) meat waste out for the crows. Does anyone else (besides me and my mom and grandmom) do this?

Not many crows out in the minus 30. Maybe stray cats.

#74 of 97 Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

We have chickens and put all of our food scraps that don't go into compost (and aren't chicken!) out for them.

Healthcare is a human right!
#75 of 97 Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM

You can compost meat, sure you can. You do risk having animals come rummage through your pile though.

The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins says that if you compost humanure, the pile gets very hot and also naturally deters rather than attracts animals, and he composts all meat and bones with no problem. The bones take a long time to decompose so when you have a finished batch you'll probably find bones in it, but that's no problem.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#76 of 97 Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

You can compost meat, sure you can. You do risk having animals come rummage through your pile though.

The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins says that if you compost humanure, the pile gets very hot and also naturally deters rather than attracts animals, and he composts all meat and bones with no problem. The bones take a long time to decompose so when you have a finished batch you'll probably find bones in it, but that's no problem.

K so I googled humanure becuase I've never heard of it. Sounds interesting. The thing that makes it seem unfeasible is it takes longer to compost this way. 1 to 2 years I think it said? And there has to be a certain amount of time between the last addition of humanure and the time you use it. I only have one of those black bins... I don't have tons and tons of space to store several years worth... I mean I could probably add some this year and use it next year... But that would only allow a few months worth of adding it. Kwim?

I dunno. Can you explain it more? It says there are specific regulations to ensure all pathogens are killed....

#77 of 97 Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

K so I googled humanure becuase I've never heard of it. Sounds interesting. The thing that makes it seem unfeasible is it takes longer to compost this way. 1 to 2 years I think it said? And there has to be a certain amount of time between the last addition of humanure and the time you use it. I only have one of those black bins... I don't have tons and tons of space to store several years worth... I mean I could probably add some this year and use it next year... But that would only allow a few months worth of adding it. Kwim?

I dunno. Can you explain it more? It says there are specific regulations to ensure all pathogens are killed....

As a fellow family cloth user, welcome to the idea of humanure composting!

Disclaimer: I don't do it. Not yet. But I am considering it.

But I do recommend the book, check it out.

Yes, Joseph Jenkins recommends having a rotating system of compost with 2 piles. One pile (Pile A) sits and ages. The other (Pile B), you add to all year. Then when the year is up, you harvest Pile A and let Pile B sit and age. You start creating a new pile where you harvested Pile A.

Yes, that requires a bit of space - not tons, but certainly isn't something you can do in an apartment or anything. 

Some people choose to let their piles age 2 years. Joseph Jenkins does not, but he says if you are concerned and plan to use the compost on food crops, it's certainly something you can do. If that is the case, you can have 3 piles. But anyway, if you have one dedicated pile, you only need twice the space - which may be too much for some, but it's not a crazy amount of space, like needing 10 piles or something.

Since reading his book, I've upgraded my compost heap from a small bin to a 4 foot diameter chicken wire pile (and I have a second length of chicken wire in my basement for when I've filled the first). But I haven't put anything, er, "personal" in the pile yet, just the usual leaves and kitchen wastes. I'm totally sold on the method, though.

#78 of 97 Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Quote:

As a fellow family cloth user, welcome to the idea of humanure composting!

Disclaimer: I don't do it. Not yet. But I am considering it.

But I do recommend the book, check it out.

Yes, Joseph Jenkins recommends having a rotating system of compost with 2 piles. One pile (Pile A) sits and ages. The other (Pile B), you add to all year. Then when the year is up, you harvest Pile A and let Pile B sit and age. You start creating a new pile where you harvested Pile A.

Yes, that requires a bit of space - not tons, but certainly isn't something you can do in an apartment or anything. 

Some people choose to let their piles age 2 years. Joseph Jenkins does not, but he says if you are concerned and plan to use the compost on food crops, it's certainly something you can do. If that is the case, you can have 3 piles. But anyway, if you have one dedicated pile, you only need twice the space - which may be too much for some, but it's not a crazy amount of space, like needing 10 piles or something.

Since reading his book, I've upgraded my compost heap from a small bin to a 4 foot diameter chicken wire pile (and I have a second length of chicken wire in my basement for when I've filled the first). But I haven't put anything, er, "personal" in the pile yet, just the usual leaves and kitchen wastes. I'm totally sold on the method, though.

Sounds very interesting! I love that I'd be able to do something with DS's poopy diapers. Seems stupid to use a cloth diaper and then have to flush the toilet lol. (although I know you are suposed to dump the poop with sposies too)

2 questions. How do they suggest you "collect" the humanure?

Can you just assume that if it's been aging for a year that all pathogens are dead?

ETA. We miiiight be able to fit a second bin. The one we have is between the shed and the fence, so we could potentially use the farther away one as the aging one if we can't sneak past. If we CAN squeeze past the first one then no worries.

#79 of 97 Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Since we're kind of taking this thread off topic, I will bump up a thread in The Mindful Home for you!

#80 of 97 Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Back on topic, I have to say that we don't have many physical books in our house.  But I do have tons of books and love to read, they are all stored handily on my e-reader and I can take my entire library with me wherever I go and it takes up less space than a paperback book!  that is one way to have books without actually having them take up space.

And used furniture/clothes, etc... I can't do it.  I just can't.  I know it is better, and I used to be fine with secondhand stuff.  Until someone I know got bedbugs from bringing 2nd hand stuff into their house.  Now, anything second hand just icks me out.  Especially since I know thta this person has donated stuff to the second hand shop while she still had the problem.  So yeah, no second hand for me.  And I realize that we could get bedbugs anywhere, but it's not as likely.

#81 of 97 Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

I still like this home a lot better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyjanssens/sets/72157600025082938/with/435508468/

I am in love with this house!!!!!  It's exactly my taste too!!!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#82 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM

I've been looking at Bea's Zero-Waste Home blog and it's quite inspiring.  She has a ton of great ideas on there for reducing waste and streamlining the home.

She also mentions on the blog that the white living room furniture and the Le Parfait jars were all bought second-hand, since a few PPs were questioning whether they were new or not.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#83 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM

I too, have been reading her blog and find many aspects of it inspiring.  It definitely clarifies quite a lot of the questions that have been brought up in this thread, but also reinforces some of the negative points that have been brought up.

For instance, they do leave some trash behind in the stores.  She talked of buying a new pair of shoes and leaving the shoe box in the store.  Also, she said she buys her milk in reusable glass jars but that the lids are recyclable plastic.  The expectation is that she just return the jar, but she returns the jar and lid, to reinforce to the company that they need to think of lid alternatives.  Well, I buy my milk in the same way, and I know that the vendor actually does a secondary rinse of the jars before returning them to the creamery.  I'm sure that Whole Foods or whoever she is buying the milk from probably tosses the plastic lids for her, and they don't make it back to the creamery and her point isn't made.  She still generated trash, someone else is putting it in the landfill/ recycling for her.

I don't recall reading that the couch and furniture is second hand, although *most* of the jars are.

While I understand that her family has taken the last 3 years to get to where they are and it wasn't an overnight change, I also recognize that their life isn't realistic for many families.  She lives in a very progressive area where the are quite a few stores that sell a large assortment of goods in bulk and sell alternatives to mainstream products.  Many families don't have those kinds of resources.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#84 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

I don't recall reading that the couch and furniture is second hand, although *most* of the jars are.

The furniture was mentioned in this article: http://www.marinij.com/millvalley/ci_14933605

It's not really worth getting into an argument about, I was just saying that the blog had lots of great ideas.  I know there are some times that I don't know if x, y or z is the most sustainable choice, and it seems that she's done a ton of research along those lines.  It's a good read if anyone is looking for some new ideas: http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#85 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

The furniture was mentioned in this article: http://www.marinij.com/millvalley/ci_14933605

It's not really worth getting into an argument about, I was just saying that the blog had lots of great ideas.  I know there are some times that I don't know if x, y or z is the most sustainable choice, and it seems that she's done a ton of research along those lines.  It's a good read if anyone is looking for some new ideas: http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/

I hope you don't think I was trying to argue, I'm sorry if I came across that way.  I was just mentioning that her blog didn't say anything about the furniture being second hand, but I'm very glad it is.  I admire her and her family for all of the things they're doing, I just get the impression (from reading some of the comments on her blog) that she really thinks that *most* people can live this way.  I came away from reading her blog last night with a number of ideas that I can implement in my own family, but I also recognize that being a homeschooling family with 4 (soon to be 5) children is different than her family.

One of the things, for instance, that I was curious about, is their source of meat.  Just b/c they're buying meat at WF doesn't mean it's from a clean source, I'm sure some CAFOs supply WF.  Doesn't that change her footprint?  Which is the better of the 2 evils, choosing a clean, grass fed source of meat that sustainably manages their farm (as my family has found) but packages their meat in vacuum sealed packages, OR CAFO meat that is packaged in glass jars??  I just don't feel that everything is as cut and dry as she makes it out to be.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#86 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Ugh. I just read her blog, and while there were some cool ideas, I found her attitude to be SO smug and holier-than-thou in many posts. It completely turned me off. I also think imposing such a strict regime for children (for lack of a better word), no matter what it is, is unhealthy but hey...it's their life.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#87 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

I still like this home a lot better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyjanssens/sets/72157600025082938/with/435508468/

Me, too!  Love her style.  Haven't they moved on to another space now?

There are many good ideas in the Sunset article, but I just find it extreme and unrealistic for many.  I also don't find their space inviting or warm at all.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#88 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Yeah this!   Some of it I'm assuming in her 'Frenchness' coming through. I've known several French folks in my lifetime, and a bit of that smugness is just being French IMO. A real cultural thing.  But, that aside, her attitude towards her husband....awful!  She chides him like a child in the blog for accepting a bottle of water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Ugh. I just read her blog, and while there were some cool ideas, I found her attitude to be SO smug and holier-than-thou in many posts. It completely turned me off. I also think imposing such a strict regime for children (for lack of a better word), no matter what it is, is unhealthy but hey...it's their life.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#89 of 97 Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

Hankerchief are not always better. They can actually cause more germs and waste water to wash them -- now I am for using washable butt wipes (which they don't use) but tissues are generally one use so you are not reputting germs on your face or sharing it with others.

Unless you suffer from hay fever, dust allergies, pet dander allergies, or have problems with sudden changes in temperature. There are lots and lots of reasons to have a runny nose that have nothing to do with germs.

And 50 handkerchiefs take up considerably less room in the washer than one towel. If a family does at least one regular load of laundry a week they aren't going to do any more laundry if they add in handkerchiefs.

Mind you, paper tissues filled with lotion are the best things ever for colds. (Second best is a big stash of handkerchiefs and some coconut oil, but it always feels so wrong to toss them in the laundry (no different in terms of germ exposure than tossing tissues in the trash, actually better around here because laundry happens more often than the trash goes out) after a single use.)

#90 of 97 Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

For me the big thing that bugs me is that they aren't actually zero waste, they are simply pawning it off.  So it feels hypocritical to me.

Past that, I think the lifestyle choices are to each their own. :)  I'm terribly thrilled with my pictures on the walls.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page