Now THIS is de-cluttered... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I completely agree. I couldn't stand that.

And "Memories get stale when photos are displayed for too long" I disagree. I love pictures of my kids and artwork that they've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

I think it's a little fake. Sure, there's no waste now, but how much was tossed to get to that point?  Everything looked new.  Why weren't they using old food jars instead of the matching jars in the pantry, you know? 

The concept is awesome, but it's too staged for my liking.  It also seems a little joyless.  I like art and books and things, and you can buy these things used and make art yourself. 

I'm not an eco-saint, but I think this seems more like a show house/project than a replicable way of living.  I'm a "both" "and" kind of gal though. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I was irked at the reference that they send the little plastic strip back to Netflex. That's making it somebody else's problem.

See, I find that whenever somebody declares themselves to following a relatively strict lifestyle, like Zero Impact Man, the couple who did the year of local food, or even vegans, people come out in hordes to throw stones and call them hypocrites by "catching" them in things like "you're vegan but bugs and worms were killed to make your potatoes" or whatever. That annoys me. I try to live responsibly and I can only applaud someone who take it to the next level. I don't feel compelled to say SEE!!!! They DO have waste!!!! (And yes, of course they do, I could come up with a huge list of things, starting with the REST of the envelope that goes back to Netflix which probably isn't recycled or composted). But all the same, that bit about the Netflix strip annoyed me, not because it is evidence that they DO have a little waste, but because they pawned it off.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#93 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM

I love the other place that was quoted-the small apartment. So homey and inspiring!

#94 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 PM

I wasn't reacting so much to the zero waste point, but more so the 'super control' point. It's one thing to be vegan, to eat local, etc. But her way of living encompasses everything from food to play to decorating one's area. And this control extends into her kids' lives. It's one thing to raise one's kids as vegans/locavores/low impact, etc. But for her, it seems that she's stripped a lot of ways for her kids to have control over their own environment. For example, for her, photos make memories stale. What about her sons? Maybe they'd like to put up pictures. Maybe they'd like to have a few more toys. Or a few more clothes.

It's an extreme in the sense that everyone else in the house has to follow these incredibly strict rules that encompass everything. It almost feels like there is no breathing room. And the lack of 'decoration' (colors, plants, whatever) is also odd for me. I'm not saying to clutter things up, but it seems like almost anyone can move in there, like a sterile hospital room.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#95 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

I wasn't reacting so much to the zero waste point, but more so the 'super control' point. It's one thing to be vegan, to eat local, etc. But her way of living encompasses everything from food to play to decorating one's area. And this control extends into her kids' lives. It's one thing to raise one's kids as vegans/locavores/low impact, etc. But for her, it seems that she's stripped a lot of ways for her kids to have control over their own environment. For example, for her, photos make memories stale. What about her sons? Maybe they'd like to put up pictures. Maybe they'd like to have a few more toys. Or a few more clothes.

It's an extreme in the sense that everyone else in the house has to follow these incredibly strict rules that encompass everything. It almost feels like there is no breathing room. And the lack of 'decoration' (colors, plants, whatever) is also odd for me. I'm not saying to clutter things up, but it seems like almost anyone can move in there, like a sterile hospital room.

Ami

Ami, I wasn't sure if you thought my pet peeve about people throwing stones at people who follow a strict path was a response to you, it wasnt, it was just a general comment to offset my annoyance about the Netflix tab. I didn't want it to sound like a little strip of plastic made me think the whole low impact exercise was pointless. I think that whatever we can do makes it worthwhile. But anyway, it wasn't a reply to you or anyone else in the thread.

I agree with you that a home should be a home, even if low impact and uncluttered, and the home "belongs" to the children as well. It's not that I think children get to decorate the home democratically (heh, my DD will have her own house someday and that will be her turn to choose colors and themes in the kitchen and living room!) but it's almost as if this family is attempting to erase the very existence of its inhabitants. 

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#96 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

Ami

Ami, I wasn't sure if you thought my pet peeve about people throwing stones at people who follow a strict path was a response to you, it wasnt, it was just a general comment to offset my annoyance about the Netflix tab. I didn't want it to sound like a little strip of plastic made me think the whole low impact exercise was pointless. I think that whatever we can do makes it worthwhile. But anyway, it wasn't a reply to you or anyone else in the thread.

I agree with you that a home should be a home, even if low impact and uncluttered, and the home "belongs" to the children as well. It's not that I think children get to decorate the home democratically (heh, my DD will have her own house someday and that will be her turn to choose colors and themes in the kitchen and living room!) but it's almost as if this family is attempting to erase the very existence of its inhabitants. 

I wasn't responding to your post in particular. :) I was thinking about why people reacted so negatively to this article to the extent of pointing out the netflix strip. And I really think it boils down to what you said in the bolded. I also don't give ds equal decoration control (dinosaurs and robots are so not my taste, lol), but it seems like she doesn't allow her kids any control. In any area. Food is controlled to reduce waste. Okay. Now toys are reduced. Photos are reduced. Clothes are reduced. Personal grooming items are reduced. And on and on it goes.

I wonder if it is healthy to have that much control over one's children/spouse. Ds is only three, but I couldn't imagine severely limiting his toys that way. He is old enough to say that he wants certain things (like legos--they are everywhere!!!).  He makes drawings that he wants put up on the fridge. Somehow I'm not sure if that would fly in her house. And I find that creepy. If her idea of 'zero waste' looks like the way she is living, and since it is implied to be the 'best' way, well, then, I don't want to live that way. Maybe people are reacting to that underlying message. Or I could be wrong. Trying to think about things outside of the concrete realities.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#97 of 97 Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Haven't read the entire thread- but I agree with lots of the PP's in that the space just looked sterile to me.  After reading that article, I walked in our kitchen and saw the fridge covered in kids' art work and thought: "I LIKE that clutter." (for once!). :)

I much prefer the look in some of the other minimalist, but in COLOR :) homes that others have posted links to.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page