Critique my idea for food storage shelves. Show me yours! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH is building me a set of shelves in the basement for our food storage.  It will house both home-canned goods and store-bought staples.  I have a basic idea of what I want, but I'd like to see other mama's photos to get some inspiration. 

Here's my basic idea:  It'll be 4 feet wide, 18" deep (to accomodate 4 mason jars), and approximately 6 feet tall.  Bottom shelf will be 18" high for bigger items, like our water storage, sugar, and flour, some of it possibly stored in 3 gallon pails.  The next 2 shelves will be 12-15" high to accomodate cereals, pastas, rice, beans, etc. which I plan to store in 1/2 gallon mason jars or (for cereal) in their original box.  Shelves 4-6 will be 10" apart and house quart, pint, and half-pint mason jars of sauces, broth, veggies, and jams.  Also some store-bought canned goods such as soup.  The very top will hold my canning equipment, dehydrator, and maybe some extra kitchen gear.

We bought some heavy-duty wall mounted double-track metal shelf brackets (like these: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,550857,00.html                except much heavier).  DH has some extra 3/4" plywood that we will be using for the shelves.  The brackets are rated to hold 150 lbs each, and we'll be using 3 per shelf.

How does this sound?  Also, are there any mistakes you made when designing yours?  Any must-haves that I should include?

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#2 of 2 Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love This Old Housethumb.gif

I think your shelves sound perfect! I am wanting to do something very similar. I have smalll kitchen cabinets with only 4 shelves to hold all my stuff. The other cabinets are for dishes. I was thinking, why not create a pantry at the foot of my basement stairs, very close to the kitchen. I can keep canned goods,etc there that I don't use too often or just don't have room for. Wish my DH was as crafty as yours! I think you have a good idea! Can't think of anything to tell you that you could add...

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page