My thread to keep myself on task while I purge for my move! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am moving to a beautiful new apartment on January 22.  I am getting the keys next Friday and will start bringing things over, but I won't have my  moving truck until 1/22.  I am getting so freaked out about my purge that I took today off from work to pack, donate things to Goodwill and throw stuff out (garbage day is tomorrow).  I figured I could post here with my progress.  Feel free to cheer me on!

So far today:

One LARGE car load to Goodwill,

Three boxes packed

Five trash bags filled and waiting outside for garbage day

One room completely ready to go!

Off to do more....

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Good for you!!! Good luck in getting rid of what you need and want to get rid of!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

partytime.gif You can do it! smile.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

One more car load to Goodwill done!  Taking a short lunch break and then back at it!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Thats great that you get the keys a week before the movers. The keys early will really help you. You can start to take over some smaller items and get a few things settled. I always ended up signing the lease, getting the keys, the movers all on the same stinking day.  (Probably cuz  I was just too cheap to pay for 2 places for even one day).

Im sure you can do it!  Just keep focused and keep working.  Declutter, donate, trash and only take what MAKES YOU HAPPY!

I promised DS and myself in our next place we would only have things that made us happy!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM

I love getting the keys early so I can get in there and clean and slowly unpack and organize a little. With the way they move here in this province it's pretty impossible to get the keys early though.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I am super excited to get the keys early too.  DS is having such a hard time with moving.  He is stressing out in a huge way.  I am thinking I am going to take this fancy camping cot that I have for me and an air mattress for him and "camp" out for the first week until we get the moving truck.  That way things are coming *TO* our  new house rather than leaving our old house and we end up sleeping in a big empty house at the end.  I figure it will get him motivated to want to bring toys/clothes/etc over rather than feeling like his stuff is just going away.

I have so much more to do though.  I think I am going to feel so freaked out next week.  I have so many things left to organize and get rid of.  I need to remember to breathe.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

One more large box filled to donate

One large trashbag filled to donate

One broken toy box in the pile for the trash

One set of car ramps in the trunk for a co-worker.

Getting there!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM

I can totally understand the children stressing issue, we don't move for oh 99 days or so (not that Im counting or anything) and its already stressing the girls out.

Good luck on your move! Its great to get the keys ahead of time, you can do everything needed to the new apartment, move in small items, allow your son to adjust to it before moving the boxes and all.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

4 more boxes packed

1 more large garbage bag ready to go to Goodwill

Large built-in linen closet emptied completely and cleaned!

1 large dresser completely packed/purged and totally empty

Unfortunately, I just found out that I am not likely to get the keys next Friday.  I am so bummed.  I really wanted the weekend to get going on things, but it looks like I will just have a few days after work.  Hoping I can get at least a few car loads of stuff over there.  I really hate moving everything in one day.  I have a bunch of help, but it just feels like so much more stuff when I have to schlep it all in one day.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

My goals for today:

Purge desk area

organize DS's art supplies

Do laundry and dishes

I really need to tackle the basement, but I have a feeling that will be the last thing I do before our big move. It is just a big mess down there.  Thankfully there isn't much stuff, it is just a big spread out mess.  Crossing my fingers that I will actually get the above done today!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM

You go girl! The new place will be wonderful. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM

I will be joining you..I have 5 weeks to get the house packed and moved...purge, purge purge, purge purge is my motivation right now...less is more...organized and neat makes me happy. : ) Here I go!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so not doing so hot on my list, but I did haul a BUNCH of stuff out of the basement and it is all in the car to go over to Goodwill!  This will be my third jam-packed car load to go over there.  Every time I go through stuff, I find more and more that I am willing to let go.  It is almost an addiction.  "How little can I pare it down to?"  I let go of more childhood toys, a huge plastic easel that has been in my basement for two years that I sort of wanted to give to DS, but didn't want the massive plastic *thing* in my living space, an over the door ironing board that I have owned for about 5 years and have used ONCE, huge garbage bags of DS's outgrown clothes, old toys, and clothes of my own that just don't fit anymore.  Can't believe how empty my house is getting!  Don't get me wrong, it still has tons of junk, but not nearly as much as I am used to. 

I was so happy this morning.  DS went into my bedroom, sat down in front of a little basket of books, spread them all out around him so he could choose one and just sat and read for a long time.  After he was done, he put them all back and my room was clean!  It is so nice to see clean, clear spaces instead of magazines, bits of paper, dirty clothes, toys strewn about, etc.  Hoping that by taking much less stuff to the new place that it just won't be able to get as messy. I am sure it will still get cluttered, but if I have less, I can stay on top of it more. 

Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscharm74 View Post

I will be joining you..I have 5 weeks to get the house packed and moved...purge, purge purge, purge purge is my motivation right now...less is more...organized and neat makes me happy. : ) Here I go!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Yes!  I had a little longer than that when I started, but it was so hard to get motivated until I had about 3 or so weeks till move date.  I took a day off work last week that was the day before garbage/recycling day and just threw out like a mad woman. I loaded my car to the gills twice to donate and then I bought some huge black garbage bags and tossed everything that wasn't able to be donated or recycled.  It felt heavenly!  You can do it!! Feel free to post your progress here too. I would love to cheer you on!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Thanks Pumpkin~~ I packed up 4 boxes and purged a tote filled with goodies. The past few weeks have bee N-U-T-S so I forget I had 2 large garbage bags ready for donation already in the Jeep. : )

I can now see part of my living room floor now..YIPPPEEE~~~~~

The paper purge is next...I have GOT to get my paperwork in order. It's driving me nuts. Then I am going to clean out the kitchen junk drawer. : ) Little steps make big progress.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Pumpkin~~ I packed up 4 boxes and purged a tote filled with goodies. The past few weeks have bee N-U-T-S so I forget I had 2 large garbage bags ready for donation already in the Jeep. : )

I can now see part of my living room floor now..YIPPPEEE~~~~~

The paper purge is next...I have GOT to get my paperwork in order. It's driving me nuts. Then I am going to clean out the kitchen junk drawer. : ) Little steps make big progress.

Yup, paperwork is a huge issue for me too.  I know I just need to sit down and DO it, but it is so intimidating.  I am so not wanting to have a huge box filled with paper/desk/office junk.  Not a good way to get started in a new place.  Great job on your progress!!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks...y'all are very motivating!!! : )

I cleaned out a spot in the extra bedroom to put the packed boxes. My goal is too keep it simple and small. I am trying to work out the small stuff so the larger stuff is easier. : )

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I was super excited to take down my Christmas tree this year so I could have a space to pile boxes.  The pile isn't too big, but it definitely eats up about a quarter of my living room.  I am nearly totally packed though, so it feels good to be almost done.  I definitely still have a lot to ditch, but the pile of *done* boxes is manageable.

Although living without that stuff feels pretty good too!  I almost want to not unpack things for a while to see if I can live without even more stuff once I get there.  :)

Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Cleaned out a big broken toy box that I was using for shoe storage today.  Nearly all of the shoes in there were in such bad shape or did not fit well that I tossed almost all of them.  The toy box is broken beyond repair, so I bagged up all of the "toss" shoes and put them right back in the toy box to all go out on trash day.  I also boxed up the shoes that I am planning to keep so they are ready to move! 

Also hauled my white water kayak out of the basement with all of it's attached gear.  A friend is coming over tomorrow to take all of it away and hopefully give me a fair price for it.  I had a pretty major accident in it a four years ago and am anxious to have it out of my life.  Hooray for ever more purging!!

Forgot to add that I cleaned off my kitchen table (paper catcher area) today too.  Tossed/recycled/filed it all and actually had dinner at a clean and clear table with DS for once!  Woo Hoo!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM

You are doing great!!! I got my wish..we are moving to a TINY apartment until we can buy a house. I am challenging myself to pack only I know we can truly use in our smaller apartment, with the exception items like the lawn mower, garden supplies (Plan on doing a porch garden), our bikes and a few other holiday items in bins. So much can go and now, with hubby on board, I have the excuse to get rid of so much. YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You are doing great!!! I got my wish..we are moving to a TINY apartment until we can buy a house. I am challenging myself to pack only I know we can truly use in our smaller apartment, with the exception items like the lawn mower, garden supplies (Plan on doing a porch garden), our bikes and a few other holiday items in bins. So much can go and now, with hubby on board, I have the excuse to get rid of so much. YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!

So awesome!  Nothing like moving to a teeny, tiny place to give you the motivation to PURGE, PURGE, PURGE! 

I got another huge chunk done today.  I had to take the trash and recycling out today and it took me at least 10 trips to take it all out.  The garbage and recycling get picked up on Friday mornings, and we don't have communal dumpsters or recycling bins here, so Thursdays have been huge purge days for me lately.

I can't believe that I am nearly done.  My basement was the biggest project that I needed to tackle and I got one room of it done (2 rooms total) completely today.  The only things in that room are what are going into storage at my new place.  My bike, bike trailer, DS's bike, our camping gear, beach gear, and 2 tubs of DS's baby clothes.  It feels like such a teeny tiny pile of stuff, but really it is much bigger than I would like it.  I want to cut down our beach and camping gear if I can at all in the next year.  We really don't need to stuff our car completely full for just two people to go to the beach or camping.

I also took down three of my four tapestries with wool blankets under them that line some of my outside walls.  They were harder to get down and took much longer than I had anticipated, so I am grateful they are done.  I also packed a couple more boxes and loaded up my trunk with more stuff to donate. 

I am really starting to feel like our new place will be such a clean, clear space for us.  I have a plan for much more storage than I think we will need, and a plan in place to prevent clutter from accumulating in our main living spaces.  Just hoping that it all works out!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Good work on the purging!!

I can't use moving to a smaller apartment as a reason to purge because every apartment Ive looked at near my DH's new duty station is a lot bigger than what we are living in for the room size we want (3 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms for sleeping and one for a playroom because toys in the bedroom don't work for the girls).. so Ive come up with another motivation. DH wants to take the girls to Disney World while we are on vacation, I don't want to spend the money we have saved on the move so I made the compromise that any money he makes off of purging can go into a Disney fund. Hes motivated now to part with things he wouldn't have parted with otherwise.. And the bonus we get some family fun when we get back stateside!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Cleaned out 2 of my 3 drawers in the kitchen.  The only one left has sandwich bags, plastic wrap and tin foil in it, which I am pretty sure I will need next week at some point.  Also removed all of the canned goods from my "food" cupboard and washed down the inside.  Emptied the fridge of magnets and washed the front of that, took down most of the pictures, and the rest of the wall hangings throughout my apartment.  Put a large box up in my bedroom ready to stuff with the bedding and pillows off my bed on the day that I actually leave.

Really wish I had gotten more done, but it is slowly getting there.  My hopes for this weekend are to finish up the kitchen and move most of the stuff in the basement up into the main living area of the house so there is nothing to haul out of there except for my washing machine.  Also hoping to get the majority of DS's toys packed up and just leave him enough to get by for the next week so the clutter can be cut waayyyy back.  I would like to pack out suit cases to live out of and get our dressers/closets packed  up too, but I am not sure I am quite ready for that.  We are so close!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that ALL of the usable things that I put out for trash day were taken by folks!  I am so excited about that!! I felt terrible about trashing some of the things that I put out there, but so, so, so happy that things were taken to be used by other people.  Yippee!

Oh, I also brought 3 baby gates, a bed frame, an extra cat carrier and a small cooler to a Reuse Zone too.  I can't believe how much junk I have gotten rid of over the past month or so.  It feels crazy, and I can't wait to unpack to really see how little I have left!  (or how much!)

Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Sounds like you have been busy. I came to the conclusion on Thurday, after work a very long 10 hour day and coming home to a very sick son, I have had enough. I sat down and made an actual list of what I envision as our home, what is in it, down to the towels and toilet paper. : ). Things that are not working but need to be replace with something that does are on a seperate list (IE: a bag for travelling- we have these terrible soft sided duffles that never work the right way. We do travel quite a bit, so I found something I like and I am saving my money for it for Mother's Day. ) I printed out my list and I am purging according to what is on here. I decided I am not going to move all of this stuff in order to shove it into the next space. I want peace and happiness from here on out. DH is not quite on board but the thing is, he never was nor is he really interested. SO I just pack up what I can and out it goes and he doesn't even think about it. I have a whole Jeep load to donate and it feels wonderful. : )  I just keep the mental picture in my mind of how I would like things to be and keep working towards that. : )

Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sounds like you have been busy. I came to the conclusion on Thurday, after work a very long 10 hour day and coming home to a very sick son, I have had enough. I sat down and made an actual list of what I envision as our home, what is in it, down to the towels and toilet paper. : ). Things that are not working but need to be replace with something that does are on a seperate list (IE: a bag for travelling- we have these terrible soft sided duffles that never work the right way. We do travel quite a bit, so I found something I like and I am saving my money for it for Mother's Day. ) I printed out my list and I am purging according to what is on here. I decided I am not going to move all of this stuff in order to shove it into the next space. I want peace and happiness from here on out. DH is not quite on board but the thing is, he never was nor is he really interested. SO I just pack up what I can and out it goes and he doesn't even think about it. I have a whole Jeep load to donate and it feels wonderful. : )  I just keep the mental picture in my mind of how I would like things to be and keep working towards that. : )

Yup, that is pretty much what I am doing, minus the actual writing it out.  Pretty much every night when I go to bed, I envision a picture of what my new place will look like with lots of storage that doesn't necessarily look like storage.  A clean, clear space in the living room with no toys strewn everywhere, piles of paper and books underfoot.  I envision a kitchen with everything put away and a space for everything so I can just go grab what I need rather than having to dig through tons of things.  I KNOW I can make it happen, and with all of the work that I have done toward it, I will definitely have a huge jump start on it when I unpack.

So, today I packed up about 99% of my kitchen.  I have to put the things that I need to donate into my trunk (not all that much), and I also need to pack up more dishes.  A ton were dirty, but are drying now and will go into a box when they are packed.  I also need to clean off the table and SCRUB the fridge.  I emptied out all of the freezer burned food, but still need to clean out the fridge.  The whole thing needs to be scrubbed too, but I don't think that will take all that long.  Hoping to get most of that done tomorrow.  I also have the self cleaning oven on "clean" and set to go for 4 hours.  Hoping that will pretty much finish up cleaning the oven.  I don't plan to bake anything for the next week, so a good wipedown tomorrow should finish it.

I also scrubbed all of the algae off my poor neglected fish tank and did a huge water change.  It was so murky in there that I thought I had three of one type of fish in there but actually have 4 of an entirely different type and 1 of the ones that I thought.  The fish look SOOOO much better and I feel so much better about moving them next week.  No ick to clean out on moving day. 

My hope for tomorrow: 

Pack up the rest of our clothing and put what we will need for the next week into suitcases with the remainder in garbage bags.

Finish the kitchen (wipe out oven, clean fridge and wipe down interior, pack remaining dishes)

Pack up the rest of the bathroom and scrub it down completely

I can't believe we only have 6 more days!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 PM

You and I have both been busy today..did mostly cleaning and moving things out of the bedroom that are not coming back in but are not organized. It was more of a mad dash to just get the stuff out of one room. : )

I put a decent side table on the curb tonight and it is already gone. YIPPEEE!!! I also bought a new file organizer, a nice one with a handle to make it portable. The one we had was not working. Still purging and sorting papers but it is getting better.

Wardrobe wise- I still LOVE 95% of the clothes I have, but made a small pile of things that just are not working.

So far, I have only packed those above mentioned boxes. I really trying to purge before I just get nuts and pack it all up. I am calling it a choosen choice pack out. : )

User Tag List