Extra storage containers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am de-cluttering like a mad woman lately as I plan for an upcoming move and have found I have a little problem that I just can't seem to tackle.  I have 4 extra book cases and a ton of extra plastic storage bins that are currently empty, and I would love to get rid of them, but the pack rat in me worries that if I do, I will just have to go buy more eventually (can't afford to do that anyway), but if I keep them, then I will just end up filling them back up again. I don't even really have the space for them at our new place, so I have no idea where I would put them. 

Gah!  How to let them go???

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 AM

Do you have a friend or family member who could temporarily store them for you?  Or maybe just save a few that nest inside one another.  I would also have a hard time getting rid of storage containers, but if you don't have the need for them, then you can let them go without worry.  After all, you don't plan on aquiring more stuff just to store away, right?  lol.gif

The bookcases?  Sell them on Craigslist or at a garage sale, if they're decent.  Maybe set the money aside in case you do end up needing another bookcase down the line.

I hate getting rid of fully functional stuff.  My grandma was raised during the depression, and she raised/babysat me, so I have a lot of that mentality lurking behind my desire to declutter.  I don't feel the urge to keep junk, but I have that voice in my head saying, "What if I need that?" when I try to get rid of something potentially useful.  I tend to feel better if I donate things, rather than just trash them, but it's a constant battle.  You're not alone!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#3 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM

if you don't have room for them, i would definitely get rid of them.  ita with the idea of selling them, and if you don't want to hold on to the money for possible future needs, then maybe there is some other storage or organization thing that would work well in your new place!

#4 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Double check in your head that you've got adequate storage for everything you own and some space to expand. Consider if the space needs of your kiddos will be changing within the next  year. Then get rid of them.

One of my ways of deciding whether to get rid of an item that I'm not sure should go or stay is to figure out if getting rid of it will open up a storage container. If I have to keep the bin around anyway, I keep the item.

#5 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think what I decided to do with some of the plastic totes is to move some of my things in them and then I can get rid of them as I unpack if I don't need them.  I realized that I can put DS's off season clothes in one rather than in a cardboard box, and my sewing/knitting/crafty stuff can go in another, again rather than a cardboard box. 

I am also thinking of using one of the large bookcases in my bedroom to organize my craft projects.  I may put up a tension rod with long curtains down the front so I don't have to see the actual projects/craft clutter all the time, but it will be there and easily accessible too.  Although I do sort of feel like I am justifying keeping stuff....

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM

For that matter, you could just keep the off-season clothes stored in the container even when you're done moving.

Having the right tools and containers is an important part of being decluttered and the goal of being decluttered is to enjoy your life. If using the bookcase makes it easier for you to enjoy your crafting, then it is the right container for your crafting stuff.

#7 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

For that matter, you could just keep the off-season clothes stored in the container even when you're done moving.

Having the right tools and containers is an important part of being decluttered and the goal of being decluttered is to enjoy your life. If using the bookcase makes it easier for you to enjoy your crafting, then it is the right container for your crafting stuff.

Oooh, that is true.  Not that I need to find a reason to keep things, but I am thinking that once I am unpacked and if some of the containers are still empty, then I will ditch them at that point.

#8 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM

I don't know if you figured out your container situation yet or not- I ran into the same problem after getting rid of so much stuff.  I did a couple things:

Found things being stored in cardboard and put them in the plastic organizers of about the same size instead, then tossed the boxes.

Found some organizers that were not in the best condition anymore, and swapped them with the better condition ones.  donated the old ones.

Any that are left over now, I have decided to donate ones I didn't love or really couldn't see a use for in the future.  I still have 7 left over, but I also still have things in cardboard boxes, so I am thinking I can swap those out eventually.

I think you made the right choice for the 1 bookshelf, I'd sell the rest!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page