Two couches in a smallish living room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS currently has a queen size futon in his bedroom for "his" bed.  He doesn't sleep in there.  Never has, and likely won't for another few years, which is no big deal for me, but we are moving to a new place next week and his room will be TINY compared to what it is now.  I eventually want to get him a twin sized loft to make more room to play.

I am thinking of not putting a bed in his room, or just putting down a camping cot for now and putting his futon in the living room set up as a couch.  That would mean we would have 2 couches that I would set up in an "L" shape with a little end table in the corner.  Is that too much seating in a smallish living room?  I don't have any other seating pieces to go in the room, so it would comfortably seat 4 and 6 if I had to.  Just trying to plan where to put stuff, which is pretty much impossible to do without pictures and measurements. 

Just wondering if it "sounds" weird?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM

It doesn't sound weird to me.  Of course we are a military family and we have had small living rooms, rooms that were way too large etc. and we couldn't buy new furniture whenever we moved, so to me, as long as it's comfortable, that is what counts.

Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
#3 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM

I agree. It doesn't sound weird to me.

#4 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Now you've got me thinking. I might put my loveseat and couch together, so that they're L shaped. We'd have more living room space that way.

#5 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Okay, apparently I cant do that. I tried. My 6ft tall windows got in the way. Bah. I did move the loveseat to another room though and replaced the curtains. Hopefully we can get an area rug b/c it looks weird in here now.

#6 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Loveseat and couch in an L shape sounds beautiful to me!

We just got rid of an L-shaped sectional b/c it didn't work in our living room.  And one of the things I hated about it was that you couldn't have an end table easily within reach if you were sitting in the middle portion.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#7 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have had a sofa and a loveseat in an L-shape. I put an end table in the corner spot, so there was always a place to put your book or your drink.

I think it works quite well.

If you are worried that it might look "mismatched", you could make a cover for the futon mattress in a color that coordinates with your loveseat.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#8 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

I have had a sofa and a loveseat in an L-shape. I put an end table in the corner spot, so there was always a place to put your book or your drink.

I think it works quite well.

If you are worried that it might look "mismatched", you could make a cover for the futon mattress in a color that coordinates with your loveseat.

Ooooh, I love that idea!  I actually ran it by a friend last night who already lives in the same complex and her apartment is exactly the same layout and size as mine and she said she thought it sounded like it would work great.  She said she has been in another apartment with the same layout and the tenant has two couches in an "L" shape too and it works really well.  Now I can't wait to actually get the furniture in there!  I will try to post pics when it is done this weekend. 

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page