Children and decluttering choices - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So both of my children were oohing and aahing the valentine stuffed animals that are currently on display and I told them that there was no way we were bringing any more stuffed animals into the house.  They suggested getting rid of some of their current stuffed animals to make way for a new one.

I decided that was a great idea and told them that if they each get rid of 12 stuffed animals that they could choose a new one, thinking they would never go for it.

Well they agreed and have already made their choices.  DH and I were both surprised at some of the ones that they choose to give away... I would have pegged them as ones they were most attached too.  And we are kind of sad at seeing them go.

I know it is ridiculous.  There is no reason I should feel attached to something that they are choosing to give away.  

I *really* need to get back into the decluttering mindset again!  Not sure why I am struggling so much right now.

#2 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

ok, well bagged up it ended up being two full trash bags of stuffed animals.  That sight completely took away any sentimental issues I was having.  :)

And now they are looking for more things to get rid of.

This is actually pretty awesome.

SomethingAnonymous likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Good for them! If it is really hard for you, just take a group shot of them before you get rid of them.

#4 of 9 Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

am jaleous .... LOL  ... my children will NEVER do that !!!!

had been putting some stuffed animals in a box on top of a tall dresser .... my eldest went on a rescue mission apparently because last time we changed the sheets from her bed, it looked again that she had millions there

=> how many stuffed animals do you allow in the bed during the night ????

(just to give me an idea !)

#5 of 9 Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

My kids usually choose one stuffed animal to sleep with or don't sleep with any.  I think at this point they are down to less than 10 stuffed animals each, so I can live with that.

Now they are wanting to clear out other toys.  They each want a package of those squinkies so I think I trash bag of other toys each would be a fair trade for that.  I'm not crazy about bringing new things into the house when we still have a lot to declutter, but they seem to be trading a lot to bring one new thing into the house.  If we do this several times then what they have will be much more manageable and they won't feel like I am giving away their things because it is stuff that they chose.

And they want to go through their dvds now too and trade them in.

Now if I could just find something to motivate DH.

#6 of 9 Old 01-16-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

So this has been really good for me.  I've realized that our kitchen is becoming harder and harder to keep clean and I decided this morning that it really needed to be decluttered again.  So far I have filled 8 trash bags with stuff that is leaving this house!

I anticipate spending the remainder of this day on the project, but things will be so much easier to keep the kitchen clean now.

My kids are awesome!

#7 of 9 Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Good for you Juliasmum!  My DS is only 15 months, but I've already had a hard time with decluttering his toys.  Most of them have been gifts, and while I haven't had any problems getting rid of the annoying plastic ones, it's the little stuffed critters that have been hard.  Some rattle, some squeak, some jingle...  And we're probably going to TTC #2 this summer, so I don't want to get rid of everything.

Obviously, DS could care less.  He'd rather dissect the tupperware cupboard.  :)

Sounds like you're on a roll, though!  I hope that's us next weekend (we're planning on decluttering the basement and building new shelves).  Did you join the 2011 in 2011??  You sound like you'd be halfway there already!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#8 of 9 Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM

that is great! my DS (6) has been just great about culling/curating his belongings, when I give him the power to decide what he keeps. For several years he's been like that. I am impressed. My DH is a major hoarder so I really want to get my kids exercising their letting-go "muscles". Myself as well. DS has also inspired me, his ability to easily let go of "stuff" once he decides he's going to do it.

We are 4 people now living in 550sf (no garage or storage either) so we really had to declutter in advance of this move (we were in 860sf with a storage space).

dissertating mom to three

#9 of 9 Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is awesome!  I've been wondering how I will share with DD about letting stuff go without making it into something unpleasant for her, because that wouldnt be nice.  :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page