Need solutions for organizing and storing computer and related items - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have spent the last few months decluttering and cleaning our entire house.  So far, I have made great progress.  Even after cleaning, though, I just don't like the "look" of our living space. 

One of my problem areas is the computer area.  We currently have the computer on a desk in our living room (I would say this is the "formal" living room as we also have a family room, but the decor is certainly not formal).  But this is the first room you walk in to, and it always looks cluttered to me, even when it's "clean".  Between the computer, monitor, printer and the endless supply of paper, pens, other office supplies, software etc. 

I have looked at computer desks but none seem to have the amount of storage we need for the space.  I also love the look of an armoire but can't find one that would suit our needs. 

I could spend a little bit of money to purchase something to store it in, but I am not sure what. 

Any suggestions? 

And, if anyone has a computer armoire, I'd love to know how it works for you.  and, this is a stupid question, but what do you do with the computer chair when the armoire is closed up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM

The computer stuff, tv stuff and stereo stuff drives me crazy.  So far our solution is that the tv and computer are in the basement.  That really helps.  Then the computer is on a desk, tv stuff is on shelves.  Not my favorite solution by any means.

No advice, just sympathy.

#3 of 4 Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the sympathy ChristyMarie!  I go back and forth between "Oh, who cares what it looks like...it's clean and that's all that matters" and "I really want my living room to look like a living room and not a computer area."  ugh! 

#4 of 4 Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Think about using a small dresser as storage, maybe a small cabinet with doors to hold the printer. That way everything is away and out of sight but organized and accessible. Here's my computer area. Eventually I'd like to find a short cabinet with doors (so it's not blocking the window) to hide the printer. The little black shelf is sort of temporary. We still have a lot of clutter on our desk, but really, we could cut it down to just the monitor and mouse. And even then, if you had a  wireless mouse you could store it in a drawer when not in use. ;)

I'm not really a fan of the computer in armoire idea. I suppose it looks fine, but to me it would feel too crowded. You'd have this tall thing towering over you as you sit, doors on each side and can you ever really pull your chair up comfortably to it? It seems like a great idea for people who use their computer occasionally or as a landing station for lap top but I don't think it would ever work for us. 

As for the chair, I've always seen it sort of turned to the side, against a wall or facing a seating area. (Like turned to complete a sofa/chair circle)

ETA: I guess I'm picturing something sort of like this when I say cabinet with doors. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page