Eeeek! How did I get so lazy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My house goes through periods of being destroyed and not too bad - well if you don't count hidden clutter all over the house.  I know I need to get everything under control.  I know that our biggest problem is we don't have a place for everything - 1 too much stuff, 2 lack of closets and organization.  I start another school semester on Monday and i swore that over winter break I would get the upstairs organized and have a routine for the main living area.  I am starting today bag.gif .  Hello, my name is SJ and I am a lifelong procrastinator whistling.gif

This afternoon I just completed 3 15 minute sessions back to back in the kids' bathroom, kids' playroom and my bedroom.  Only 45 minutes and I feel tired, want to be finished for the day.  Yikes, how did I get so lazy?  I served five years in the Marine Corps for crying out loud!  I do think a lot of it is mental, a feeling of being overwhelmed, a feeling of it always gets messy again and my hard work is for nothing.  Bah. 

Anyone else BTDT and overcome the lazies with the result of an organized clean house?  Anyone else in the same boat? 

#2 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am happy to say that I have been diligently bustin' my booty all afternoon! thumbsup.gif  I guess there is still hope for me!  Not only have I been cleaning up the upstairs I have been sure to not just move clutter and to tackle jobs that haven't been done in a while like cleaning the baseboards.  I usually give myself 15 minute breaks after 45 minutes but today I have been content to take short breaks. 

The 15 minute round robin has kept me on task while moving quickly (to get a lot done before the timer rings) and not getting too overwhelmed - I highly recommend it! 

Feeling accomplished!  orngbiggrin.gif  Now back to work for me

#3 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM

I am gradually getting there...much more clean and organised than I was! Thanks to 'Motivated Mom' chores and doing a heap of decluttering here with the 2010 thread and now the 2011 thread.

For me the revelation has been that I shouldn't spend full days cleaning as I just get exhausted and burned out....that is what I like about the MM chores, because it is just a little each day. I think I am naturally a little bit lazy too, and that is why this method works for me. I can do 2 or 3 chores and then I am done for the day.

SAHM to three
#4 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 PM

less stuf and a place for everything has been HUGE !!! But it took a few years and I still feel overwelmbed sometimes setting a timer helps or picking one big project that will make a long term difference every week and lists help to
#5 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yay MissSJ!!!  Sounds like you are on a roll!  I always feel more motivated after getting a few small tasks done too.

Throwing/donating heaps of stuff away was the trick for me.  And boy was it painful.  But I started just doing it.  Ever watch hoarders?  For some reason that show really motivated me.  I couldn't sit still.. Had to get up and start cleaning.  Eek!  And anything I was waffling on?  I just got rid of it.  So far I haven't missed any of it, but I sure enjoy my clean new, easy to maintain space.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#6 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 AM

Lol I agree, the show hoarders is hugely motivational to get rid of stuff.

Couldnt you sell things on eBay?
#7 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 04:45 AM

I go through it, too. Sometimes I do great, other times I epically fail, and I really can't explain to myself why it happens. But it's definitely endlessly frustrating. 

#8 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 AM

Every January I have a slump.  I think I'm just so active Oct-Dec with entertaining that come January 2nd I'm just D.O.N.E.  In January as long as things are relatively neat I'm fine with it.  My house is certainly not company ready at the moment.  And I just started taking the Christmas stuff down yesterday.  I still have a bazillion linens to put away from new year's.  Clean but waiting to be folded and put away.

And Hoarders is all reruns.  There goes my motivation.  *sigh*   LOL.

I think every once in a while you just need a break.  Just give yourself a certain amount of time to be lazy then get back to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page