Quoted: 0 Post(s)

heartbeat.gif

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#2 of 11 Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It hasn't been that long, but we mainly just have my husband's friends over.  I don't really care what they think of my house.  I used to be a lot more embarrassed than I am now.  I have different priorities now.  Cleaning my house has gone down on that list.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#3 of 11 Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 PM

My house may not be perfect but it is presentable enough to have company. We have my kid's friends stay over quite often.

Is your main problem that your place is not clean, or have you got a hoarding problem?

SAHM to three
#4 of 11 Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM

I think the best motivation for making the house presentable is to invite someone over. We had some friends from out of town over at Christmastime and it was the first time in a long time anyone besides my husband's slobby gamer-geek friends has been here to actually have dinner and visit. The day they were supposed to come I spent all day cleaning and I was so proud of the results. We really should have people over more often.
#5 of 11 Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We frequently have people for dinner on Friday nights.

I just don't care that my house is never perfect. I used to. I would put off having company. Now, I assume our friends are coming over because they love us, not because they love our house, yk? Same thing with meals. We have whatever we can afford because our friends are coming over to visit, not for a gourmet meal.

Most of my friends are 'cleanies' and I used to be very intimidated by having them over. However, they are in a completely different place than I am. I have six kids, three are 4 and under, a mentally disabled adult and a husband in full-time ministry (read his time is not his own). I cannot do it all and no one can expect me to. If they want to visit me, then they will just have to refrain from judging because my house is not as clean as theirs. And they do.

#6 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 01:54 AM

If I could have a half hour warning before friends came over I would be happy to have them over any time!

But it has been a LONG time since I have felt good about having an unannounced drop in. :(

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#7 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Invite someone to come over in a week and use that as motivation.  Then, think how good they will feel about their presumably more tidy place, after they see yours.  It's good for their self esteem, lol.  Things are better around here, lately, because we've been hosting people every week or two.  I can usually get the place in shape in a few hours or less (with little to no maintenance in between visits).  The kitchen counter is rarely cleared of it's piles, but crumbs are wiped, bathrooms are clean, floors are swept or vacuumed, and there is a comfortable place to sit.  Good enough.  Don't let perfectionism be your enemy!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#8 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have friends over frequently. My house is never perfect, but there's a clear floor and places to sit down when my friends get here. Unannounced would make me a bit more uncomfortable (especially if there's laundry being folded! What a disaster that always looks like!) But usually doable. I've had so many people tell me how relieved they are that my house isn't perfect (and trust me, it isn't even close) that I've sort of become more comfortable with having people here over time...

That said, I've been clearing out clutter as much as I can lately, and it really helps *me* feel better about my place.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM

right now I'm hosting knitting on Mondays, in fact I do it every year from Jan-March. I just don't worry about the state of my house. I hosted T-giving dinner as well, with the dining room cluttered with boxes and toys. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#10 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Frequently. Our house is in no way perfect, but I can get the main spaces pretty clean within a couple of hours. All the laundry may not be washed and put away and the playroom may be impassible, but I don't think that has anything to do with having people over for dinner. 

#11 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for the advice and encouragement. I'll probably have more ?'s about where to start on my process to get my act togetherand invite some friends here. Thanks again!

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page