Art Storage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS already has a huge box of art from his daycare on up to Pre-K...I have really edited down to just the spectacular stuff but still, storage was an issue. Last week, I bought a brand new file box for our important papers.I wanted something more compact than what we had and this one has a nice handle and fits on the close shelf. I took the old storage file system and have been placing his artwork/papers in there by age. It's been great and there is a lot of room for growth. The plastic flat bin I had been storing them in is now being used for his sentimental items...clothes, shoes, a stuffed animal, etc. I like to re-purpose and re-use and I now freed up a large tote, so I can pack up stuff to move into that...the circle of decluttering and organizing continues. : )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 PM

I find a great way to keep the art work over the years is to take photos of the art, and then you can put the photos in an online photobook, so you have your very own coffee table book of kids art to enjoy, but without the actual art taking up so much space.  I do, however, keep ALL the mothers and fathers day gifts they make at school, and the holiday art is stored with the appropriate holiday  decorations - but even that gets whittled down from time to time.

chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 

teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF

#3 of 5 Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 AM

there was a 2-page article about this in the NY times on Thursday-- very funny and also interesting. I think I can't post a direct link to the article? (didn't work before) but if you search for the title, "mom, you're one tough art critic" and you can find it

they suggested the coffee table book idea, which I liked too... entitled, "works on paper". The mom who made one did say she estimated it took her about 40 hours of work to make it!

dissertating mom to three

#4 of 5 Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM

great idea about the coffee table book- i tend to purge / recycle a lot of the kids art, and it would be great to have this memento for them to look at when they're older.  i frame the stuff that i just can't bear to part with, and hang it in our hallway up the stairwell.  its fun b/c as they get older our house has more and more of their "work" in it on the walls.  i love kids' art as home decor!

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#5 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM

I also have our kid's art framed and hanging around the house, and people comment all the time what a great idea it is.  It also lets the kids' know ho proud you are of their artistry. 

chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 

teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page