Do I keep these toys? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my house, there is always a difference between the educational toys I think should be kept for my three boys and the toys that they actually play with.

Last year, I bought them a really nice balance scale (it's just plastic, but it still works well), and another small scale for weighing objects. They also received weighted numbers that "add up." For example, the 2 and the 1 combined weigh as much as the 3 does.

They NEVER play with this stuff! It was collecting dust from being out all the time, so I put it in a bin. Nobody ever asks for it. Maybe they've forgotten about it, but I think really they're just not interested.

Would you let this go? Or keep it stored somewhere and conduct educational play sessions from time to time? And then how do I remember that we have it and where I put it!?

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM

if you're not homeschooling...i'd probably garage sale/free cycle/sell/donate that stuff. Every time you think of it it'll bring your energy down and you'll have that discepancy between what you got for them and what they use. Also, as a child I had way too many toys and felt overwhelmed by them, especially the educational books and toys my teacher mom insisted i keep...accept where they are and buy more wisely next time. Your intentions were good but everyone makes purchases that don't work out! just my two cents!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#3 of 3 Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. You're right. We are not homeschooling, so they are probably getting enough of the educational stuff at school and don't need it at home!

I was also thinking I could keep these toys at one of the grandparents' houses. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page