Do you have a dish drying rack? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have one of those wooden folding contraptions, and it seems like it is NEVER empty. I tried to put it away and see how we did with a "wash, dry and put away immediately" rule, but it just didn't happen--we ended up laying dish towels down and setting all the wet things on them. And then no one ever puts away the dry stuff!

What's your solution? Does anyone have a dish rack that sits inside one side of their sink? I wonder if this is less of an eyesore, even if dishes still hang out there on a daily basis. 

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM

When I was single, I had a wooden one. It was large, but I was good about emptying it regularly.

We have a red wire one from Ikea. I can't find a pic online, so I didn't post. It is not large, and it has 2 parts, but we use only one part. We use a wood container for silverware. There is a dish towel underneath to catch drips, and it is replaced about once a week.

I empty it once a day - right before I clean up the dinner dishes, so the new clean pots have a place to go. I don't care that it has clean dishes and pans in it during other times.

We do have a dishwasher, so it's only cooking pots and random items that end up in the drainer.

It's dirty dishes that pile up in the sink (at times when the dishwasher is clean and needing to be emptied) that really bother me.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 PM

We have a smaller plastic one that sits on the counter all the time.  The only thing that gets left in it is the coffee pot, everything else gets washed and then put away.

#4 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM

That's what my boyfriend does.  It is much less of an eyesore.  I usually just wash the dishes on one side, and then put the soapy dishes in the rack, and spray them there.  Glasses are the only things that go on a towel on the counter. 

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#5 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

When I was single, I had a wooden one. It was large, but I was good about emptying it regularly.

We have a red wire one from Ikea. I can't find a pic online, so I didn't post. It is not large, and it has 2 parts, but we use only one part. We use a wood container for silverware. There is a dish towel underneath to catch drips, and it is replaced about once a week.

I empty it once a day - right before I clean up the dinner dishes, so the new clean pots have a place to go. I don't care that it has clean dishes and pans in it during other times.

We do have a dishwasher, so it's only cooking pots and random items that end up in the drainer.

It's dirty dishes that pile up in the sink (at times when the dishwasher is clean and needing to be emptied) that really bother me.

yeahthat.gif We have an identical situation except we have a standard plastic rack. It's ok looking and I empty it of dry dishes whenever they dry. I too can't stand dirty dishes and do my best to wash as soon as they are there. I got DH pretty well trained to do it too. wink1.gif

sleepytime.gif
#6 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

I do a lot of dishes and have no dishwasher.  The kitchen is also in plain view of the whole living area.  We often have a pile of clean, drying dishes on a towel next to the sink, and also dishes drying inside the large "rinse" side of the sink.  I like to get everything put away once or twice per day, usually before dinner gets cooking and at the end of the evening.  I usually do dishes twice per day, and don't start the next set until the sink is clear and clean.  I love to have every last thing finished and the sink ready for the next morning.  However, as long as the surfaces (table, island, stove area, and sink counter) are clean and clear, and the ONLY thing I see extra is a pile of clean dishes, I am okay with it.  I object to having a rack, because I wouldn't want it out all the time.  They get gross.  Also, my rinse sink is very large, and has a metal grid deal at the bottom, which is really helps drying dishes stand up and off the wet bottom.

#7 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM

I was just going to post about this very issue!! I'm looking for a new drying rack & I can't find anything that will make the kitchen look more... put together. We have a smaller sink so putting clean dishes in there wouldn't work. I feel like we need the world's largest drying rack to accomodate the number of pots & pans & random items we always have in there. DH sometimes puts the clean pots on the stove to dry, which to me is even worse because he also tends to leave dirty pans there too so I have to inspect everything to figure out if it's dirty or clean. There's got to be a better way.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

I just posted these in the kitchen counter thread. They're wonderful.

They're cute enough (IMO) that a few glasses or forks hanging out at the end of the night doesn't bother me. And the fact that they're not very large forces me to dry the pots and pans as soon as I wash them so there's no opportunity for them to sit out looking a mess.

#9 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM

My drying rack is sitting on my counter full of clean dishes as I type this.  I would love to get rid of it, and have tried just putting dish towels on the counter while the dishes are drying, but that ends up taking up more space since I can stand the plates up in the rack rather than lay them down on towels or prop them up against something....  I have a dishwasher but end up washing most things by hand.  I really wish there was another way.  I have limited counter space and would love to have that space back, it just doesn't seem possible.  I guess if I really put an effort into drying everything just after it was washed that would help, but with 3 kids one on the way and a million dishes used everyday that just isn't likely :)

#10 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We don't have a dishrack. It was lost in the last move and I've just never got around to replacing it.

I often debate whether we should get one, but so far I haven't felt a compelling need for it. 

We put down towels on the counter when we do the dishes (no dishwasher). I think it motivates me to put the dishes away sooner, rather than leave them sitting out in a rack. 

#11 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Last night we bought a stainless steel Rubbermaid dish rack that sits inside one half of our sink. So far (less than 24 hours, LOL) it's made our kitchen look MUCH better. And it also prevents us from loading BOTH sides of the sink with dirty dishes. Hopefully it will be a good change. 

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#12 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i use my dishwasher as a drying rack

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#13 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 AM

I was going to say- dishwashers make WONDERFUL drying racks, and there are no clean dishes taking up counter space as they dry (esp if you leave the dishwasher open at night, when it being open won't be in anyone's way)

#14 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM

We got rid of our dishrack. So there's never any clutter.

If I need to dry pots, I dry them on the stove upside down. Or I'll dry glasses on a dish towel.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#15 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a wire rack that is set on top of a large prefold diaper to catch the water.  It doesn't get emptied every night, though I'd like it to.  But, I don't think the clean dishes are that much of an eyesore, so it doesn't bother me like seeing dirty dishes in the sink does.

We got rid of most of our dishes, and that helped.

#16 of 32 Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 PM

We have a rubber coated metal dish rack in one of our sinks. It is definitely less cluttery than having one on the kitchen counter! We don't have a dishwasher so we need one. What I like about it is that it limits how much the dishes can pile up, we only have one sink available and have to leave room to actually wash things. Another thing that helps with that is only leaving one set of dishes out per person, and storing everything else away for when company comes. Oh, and like PP said, we dry our pots/pans on the stove. Actually, since we use them multiple times a day and have no storage we just leave them there. It looks nice as long as the counters aren't cluttered.

#17 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

we have a plastic dish rack (no dishwasher) ; I prefer it if the dishes are clean and drying there rather than piling up in the sink un-washed & I don't mind if they stay in there for a while because it means that it will be much quicker to put away when most will be mostly dry = less work & faster with the tea-towel.

One of my rules is that it must be emptied before we sit for the evening meal & if I haven't got round to doing it beforehand then I enlist DH's help to do that !

My other rule is that all family members clearing up their place must put their things in the right side part of the sink only (except glasses if we are running out of space, they can go on the left side & I'll start by cleaning up glasses rather than the rest), preferably with plates standing on the right and cutlery on the left & odd shape stuff in the middle => I find it much easier to hand wash by going through categories of same shaped items & anyway it helps for stacking the stuff to dry in the rack ... it's all about optimising space and making sure that everything has a space in there to dry up for a bit, without falling out + if it's neatly stacked it doesn't look so much of an eyesore ....

I am rather bothered by dishes left to dry when I didn't do the washing up because they don't seem to me to be well stacked ... enough ...

I am not yet using matching colored clothes pins when I put laundry on the line so at the moment I don't feel too weird because of my dish stacking habits !

whitney0516 likes this.
#18 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 AM

This is my dish rack, it's in the cabinet over the sink. The racks are removable so they can be cleaned, and there's a removable drip tray underneath. I chose cabinet doors that were perforated to help with air circulation, you can see that on the right. This type of rack is typical here (Italy); I've never seen a kitchen without one. Some people use it to store their cups and plates, so they wash them and just leave them. I prefer putting my dishes and cups in a proper cupboard and using the rack for drying everything, except cutlery and utensils, which dry in a perforated steel container on the drainboard of the sink. The only drawback for me is that having the dishes hidden away gives me a reason to be lazy about putting them away, but I've been working on that. These racks do take quite a bit of cabinet space, which is why people use them for storing too, but I'm lucky enough to have a fairly big kitchen with a good amount of cabinet space. I'm surprised that they're not popular elsewhere because they are really convenient. I think the typical north American kitchen is probably much bigger than the typical Italian one (actually I'm sure that it is!), so I imagine that a lot of people would have space for them.

#19 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnEarth View Post

Oh, and like PP said, we dry our pots/pans on the stove. Actually, since we use them multiple times a day and have no storage we just leave them there. It looks nice as long as the counters aren't cluttered.

Honestly, I never heard of doing this. But DH does this whenever he washes the rare pot and it drives me crazy. He also leaves dirty pots on the stove, which I inevitably don't find until I've finished the dishes. I thought it was so weird to put wet pots on the stove, but I guess I'll cut him some slack.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#20 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

i use my dishwasher as a drying rack

I'm going to try this.  I usually only wash one load of dishes in the dishwasher (dinner) so storing clean dishes in there the rest of the time to dry isn't such a bad idea!

#21 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear-shaped View Post

This is my dish rack, it's in the cabinet over the sink. The racks are removable so they can be cleaned, and there's a removable drip tray underneath. I chose cabinet doors that were perforated to help with air circulation, you can see that on the right. This type of rack is typical here (Italy); I've never seen a kitchen without one. Some people use it to store their cups and plates, so they wash them and just leave them. I prefer putting my dishes and cups in a proper cupboard and using the rack for drying everything, except cutlery and utensils, which dry in a perforated steel container on the drainboard of the sink. The only drawback for me is that having the dishes hidden away gives me a reason to be lazy about putting them away, but I've been working on that. These racks do take quite a bit of cabinet space, which is why people use them for storing too, but I'm lucky enough to have a fairly big kitchen with a good amount of cabinet space. I'm surprised that they're not popular elsewhere because they are really convenient. I think the typical north American kitchen is probably much bigger than the typical Italian one (actually I'm sure that it is!), so I imagine that a lot of people would have space for them.

huh- this is neat

where would you get these in America? this really appeals to me. I have a kitchen which is MUCH SMALLER than a standard american kitchen. We have no dishwasher. We're 4 people. I have one smallish cabinet right over the sink that I use for all our dishes and cups anyway... so it could really be useful for me!

Currently DH or I are handwashing after every meal and then just emptying the drying rack (which I didn't buy but was left behind by tenant, and I am just using it for now since we don't have extra $$ and why replace something that works just fine, ykwim?) before doing the next round. Pots and pans and lids all hang, and knives have a magnetic strip, so they all go straight there when clean and dry in place. I actually like the idea of just drying the things where they will stay... I'd love to reclaim the counter space that our rack takes up- its probably a quarter of the total counter space in the kitchen.

dissertating mom to three

#22 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

huh- this is neat

where would you get these in America? this really appeals to me. I have a kitchen which is MUCH SMALLER than a standard american kitchen. We have no dishwasher. We're 4 people. I have one smallish cabinet right over the sink that I use for all our dishes and cups anyway... so it could really be useful for me!

They make such a difference in tiny kitchens. I never saw them in the U.S., I think you might have to build your own. I found this on apartment therapy, and here is a wikipedia article about them.

#23 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM

When we lived in apartments and didn't have a dishwasher we had a nice umbra dish rack that I didn't mind looking at.  That way we could leave it out all the time.  Back then it was just DH and I and we didn't do a lot of messy cooking so there were never that many dishes.  Now we have a house and a dishwasher.  I just have a flat clear plastic dish tray.  I like it because it is easy to store.  Basically anything that is hand washed gets dried immediately, or within an hour or so and then the tray usually gets put away.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#24 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We used to have one of the folding wooden ones, but when we remodeled I got a new white-coated metal one to go in one side of the sink for drying things like plastic bags we've washed out and the odd plastic items that don't get all the way dry. We do have a dishwasher and we do use it. Love that thing.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#25 of 32 Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM

I saw a two level dish rack at ikea, but I cannot seem to find it on the website.  As soon as I find it, I will post a link.

If my new apt doesn't have a dishwasher, I am getting one of those dish racks.

ETA: Found it! Ordning disk dryer

#26 of 32 Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I also set pots and pans on the stove top to air dry. 

I use the dish rack only rarely, as we have a dishwasher.  I haul the dish rack out when we've had a big party with lots of dirty dishes.  We'll pack the dishwasher with one load and wash the rest by hand.  I fill the dish rack up with plates, glasses and silverware. Big bowls, casseroles etc, get layed out on clean towels.  I usually don't hand dry them, just air dry. 

When we didn't have a dishwasher I didn't mind seeing the counter dish rack full of clean dishes.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#27 of 32 Old 02-01-2011, 01:25 PM

We just use a dish towel and I put the dishes away 2 or 3 times a day. I contemplate buying a rack , but haven't because I think the kids would just pile the dishes on it and leave them there..including dirty ones. They are finally catching on to washing their own dish most of the time now without a prompt or fuss. We have a lot of items that are not dishwasher safe and I am afraid that if I put them on the rack to dry that someone might run the wash cycle without noticing them. I hate to admit that I like hand washing and drying the dishes better anyway because they look cleaner. I bought a bunch of bright micro fiber towels for the kitchen and they help a lot.

#28 of 32 Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM

We don't have a dishawasher, but we do have a double-sink. The dish rack to the left of our the double-sink.  I usually wash in the right-hand-tub & rinse in the left-hand one and then put things in the drying rack.

On weekdays I empty it when I get home from work (it has the breakfast dishes) and then after the dinner dishes are done.  On the weekends I empty it in the middle of the day too. I will use a dish towel to dry things if they are still damp in the rack when I want to clear it.  I dislike seeing it piled w/ dishes.

I am really lucky in my kitchen lay-out, it's a U-shape w/ the cabinets that hold the plates and cups and bowls and utensils on the right, within an arm's reach of the drying rack. So, putting things away involves almost no walking.

We never put dirty dishes in it, we leave them on the kitchen counter on the right side of the sink, or in the right-hand sink.

#29 of 32 Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post

I just posted these in the kitchen counter thread. They're wonderful.

They're cute enough (IMO) that a few glasses or forks hanging out at the end of the night doesn't bother me. And the fact that they're not very large forces me to dry the pots and pans as soon as I wash them so there's no opportunity for them to sit out looking a mess.

Super cute!!!

I don't have a dishwasher and I have small counters, so I don't have a dish drying rack. I wash, dry and put away right away.

I wish I could dry my pots/pans on the stove but I'd end up clumbsily knocking them in the floor or the kids would run off with them, lol.

#30 of 32 Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 PM

We have a metal drying rack in the left side of our sink. It's full at night and I usually put things away in the morning (often to get to something in there that I need for breakfast lol). It DOES look great being empty! It would be good to empty it at night.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page