Has anyone ever painted a wood vanity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an oak vanity in my foyer bath.  It is simply not going to work for what I'm doing in there so I'm going to paint it an off white/cream to match all the trim.  I do not like this vanity but we are not yet ready to rip everything out and redo the bath.  This is a temporary fix - I don't expect it to last 10 years but I want it to look nice.  This bathroom gets very light use.

Tips?

Good websites for how to?

Words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!!!

#2 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 PM

We've done it, but I wouldn't give you good advice on it.  It's 3 years in and should definitely be touched up (tops of doors where we accidentally rub it).  BUT, it's our only bathroom and we are 4 people.

I think that if you sand a bit first and prime, then paint with a good glossy coat you should do okay.  But like I said, I don't know that we did it the "right way" and I don't really recommend it.  If you could stain with a whitewash or something that might be a nice alternative. 

Tjej

#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Did you do any sort of protective top coat?  I have painted two sets of wood closet shelves (DS's closets in his room and bathroom so heavy-ish use) and I did 2 coats of poly on them and they've been good.

BUT...those were shelves. In closets.  I was able to just roll the paint on and I wasn't too concerned about it.  An entire cabinet I'm more nervous about messing up.

#4 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Is leaving the top surfaces of the vanity the original wood an option?  That can sometimes look nice and avoids the problem of paint scratching off the most vulnerable surface, the top.  Using a brush, vs a roller, gives a nicer look but you need to paint carefully with even strokes going the same way.  Make sure to use primer, of course.  But also wait longer than you think you need to before putting anything on the painted surface.  Dry to the touch doesn't mean that things sitting on top won't stick.  I'd wait a few days, at least.  Ideally more like a week to let the paint totally cure..

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, so just google "Centsational Girl". The stuff she has painted is just amazing, and she breaks it down to materials, how-to, etc. Painting furniture seems to be popular in blogdom right now, but CGs site is the most comprehensive I've found. She's got me all inspired to paint all my laminate.

ETA another one Thrifty Decor Chick

Bokonon likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Is leaving the top surfaces of the vanity the original wood an option?

The top is granite so that will stay as is.  Just the sides/drawers/doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, so just google "Centsational Girl". The stuff she has painted is just amazing, and she breaks it down to materials, how-to, etc. Painting furniture seems to be popular in blogdom right now, but CGs site is the most comprehensive I've found. She's got me all inspired to paint all my laminate.

Thank you, I will check those out.

#7 of 8 Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Yes you can absolutely paint it!  For best results, I would sand it lightly first or wash with TSP- this is a not too crazy deglosser...  the glossy part of the varnish is why paint usually fails.  Then prime and finally paint.  You could also try using green stripper if you don't want to sand varnished wood inside you house (YUCK) you wouldn't use the stripper traditionally to strip it all off, but just to degloss again.  I have redone many old pieces that were stained so dark- and I like color!  some have been stripped back to wood, and some just stripped so that they could be painted successfully.  Hope this helps and good luck!

#8 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post

Ok, that site is evil.  Pure evil.

Now in the back of my mind is that once I get the bathroom and guest suite done I'm redoing my banisters and ripping the carpet off my front stairs and refinishing those as well.  The worst part?  DH didn't look at me like I was crazy when I said I was going to do it. 

E.V.I.L.

Bokonon likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page