Musty co-sleeper - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 39 weeks pregnant and my mom just brought over the co-sleeper that's been stored in her basement since my older daughter stopped using it about 5 years ago. I contacted Arm's Reach a while ago and they said the best way to clean it would be to steam clean it - so mom cleaned off the plastic parts and any stray fuzz on the cloth, and I gave it a thorough once-over with my steamer (basically a steamer for de-wrinkling clothes but the package claimed it kills dust mites, etc...)

It still smells really musty, though. Besides letting it sit (I'm not supposed to put stuff outside on my apartment balcony but I might put it outside for just a day or so, despite the snow), any ideas for getting rid of the musty smell and making sure it's clean for the new baby? I thought of putting tea tree or lavender EO in the steamer, but I don't want too much fragrance either. Sprinkle baking soda all over it, then vacuum and re-steam?? What would you try?
#2 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 PM

That's a tough one...I think I would actually get rid of it and get a new one, but as that may not be possible, I looked up and found this site which may be helpful...

http://ask.metafilter.com/75102/How-to-destinkify-a-musty-bassinet

SAHM to three
#3 of 5 Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah, I hesitated to say it, but if you can possibly afford not to use it, I think that would be best. I would assume that that scent is mold, and I suspect that's not good for a baby to be breathing.

#4 of 5 Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Yeah, unfortunately musty smell usually equals mold inside. :(

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#5 of 5 Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I think you're right... Much as I hate to, I think we've got to get a new one...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page