Command Strips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any body really put these to the test?

I'm looking at trying to hand an old long window (with the glass) on the wall with coat hooks attached to it. We have old plaster walls and dh will not screw anything to the wall. I've used the command strips for lightweight pictures and such...but nothing heavy that takes a little abuse (coats bags being hung up/pulled off)

~L
#2 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM

We haven't had the best of luck with them. I do use one to hold a tiny little wicker basket of garlic (not garlic I use, but a decoration) I tried using one to hang a hot pad and it was not strong enough for that. Lasted 2 days. 

#3 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM

I use them for all our hanging art, paintings and framed pictures. I think they are fantastic.

I did have one failure a few years ago when trying to hang a large framed picture - it fell down after a couple of hours. Looking back, I used the wrong kind of adhesive - I was using a hook when I should have used the strips placed around the frame.

I don't know if I would trust them for your plan, though - what about hanging it from the roof somehow?

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#4 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i wouldn't do that.

i would do a hook to hang a coat, but no way anything glass that will be bumped regularly.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#5 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM

I wouldn't use one.  I've had luck with hanging most things, but put a hook in DD's closet to hold a fairly heavy wooden board game that she has.  The hook lasted a few months before giving way - tried again with a new adhesive strip and the same thing happened.  I wouldn't risk it to hold something made of glass.

#6 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...rats. The ceiling is plaster so DH resists hanging from there as well.

It's such a cute idea but I guess I'll stick with hooks by themselves. Maybe I could do a frame with a fabric inset and leave out the glass? I'm so tired of our boring utilitarian stuff and keep trying to inject a little personality into our home.

#7 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM

The hooks have failed for me every time... I have successfully used the strips for some heavier art, but I'm not sure that heavy.

Also, I don't know if it is just me, but they do not come off like they are supposed to. I used them to hang a bunch of metal leaves on my wall since they were too heavy for all the tape I tried or putty. They worked pretty well for a year or so, but eventually the leaves started to fall off and when I tried to take the command strip off the wall it totally pulled up all the paint and even the outside layer of the dry wall! I tried to be really careful with the rest that I took off, but to no avail, they tore up my wall.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#8 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Out of curiosity, why doesn't he want to plaster back up any holes you put in the walls when you eventually take down or move what you want to put up?

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#9 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM

I use command strips for everything (renting and have cinder block for all our outer walls) and wouldn't use them for that.

Plaster is a PITA to work with, you're going to need special mounting hardware for anything heavy especially something that's subject to stresses like coats on and off. We had shelves mounted onto plaster that were fine until one day they just ripped themselves out of the wall and all the books fell down (fortunately they fell away from the TV and towards the side wall instead!)

Oh, read on and realized you don't actually have a mirror with hooks, you've got a mirror and you're thinking of adding a frame with hooks.

What I'd do then is frame the mirror, mount it with enough of hook and loop style strips for its weight (probably 4 of the large ones if not more)

Then I'd mount coat hooks separately and take advantage of them being separate to put coats at better heights for your kids, hooks for hats, scarves, anything useful.

With the hooks, you're still going to end up with someone being in a hurry and pulling hook, adhesive, and some paint off the wall all at once, but some paint and new adhesive and lowering the hook slightly will make it all better.

#10 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post

The hooks have failed for me every time... I have successfully used the strips for some heavier art, but I'm not sure that heavy.

Also, I don't know if it is just me, but they do not come off like they are supposed to. I used them to hang a bunch of metal leaves on my wall since they were too heavy for all the tape I tried or putty. They worked pretty well for a year or so, but eventually the leaves started to fall off and when I tried to take the command strip off the wall it totally pulled up all the paint and even the outside layer of the dry wall! I tried to be really careful with the rest that I took off, but to no avail, they tore up my wall.

I've had those problems with other brands, but never a problem with the 3M strips except when dd did the pulling off for me (grrr) it is really important to pull the strip ALL the way out until things detach from the wall by themselves.

#11 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post

Out of curiosity, why doesn't he want to plaster back up any holes you put in the walls when you eventually take down or move what you want to put up?

Making holes in plaster often can make for extra large chunks of plaster falling down around where the original hole is. Also, things just really don't really hold well when hung on plaster. I grudgingly agree with him because he is right, it just thwarts my decorating choices. Patching plaster is a bigger job than a little spackle on some drywall. Our home was built in the 20's and we have some seriously bad patch work over 4-5 inch holes done by previous owners. It's not pretty!

I might be able to do as another person said and hang the window and hooks separately that way the heavy window is not being tugged on and a coat falling to the ground when the hook is pulled off is not a big deal.

that could work!
#12 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM

I have the exact problem in my house. DH is petrified to put anything into the plaster (he's not exactly handy) and I lack the arm strength to do it. I have HIRED handymen to put hooks up for me though! I had a closet system installed and I paid the installer cash to do some other jobs while he was there. It was great and he knew just what to do! Just a thought for you. Apparently you can hang hooks and shelves into plaster, you just need the right tools.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#13 of 14 Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Maybe this will help you?  I've lived in plaster-walled houses all my life, and found the answer to be toggle bolts.  They are super cheap, and the trick is that they go all the way through the plaster and lath, not just in the plaster.  You will need a drill, toggle bolt, strip of that blue painting tape, drill bit.  Put tape on wall where you want whatever it is to hang, drill through wall with drill bit the size of toggle bolt (I forget the size we use), put toggle bolt into wall until it catches, and you have a built in hook that can hold almost anything.  The tape keeps the plaster around the hole from cracking, and the bolt goes all the way through the wall so the plaster isn't pulled out when weight is applied.  Seriously works, you should try :)

E, J and M (8/09) Also, R, T, S
#14 of 14 Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks. THat may be what my hired help is doing. you lost me when you got to "drill..." lol!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page