Hardcover slipjackets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think that's what they're called - the usually redundant paper covering on hardbacks. I have a dozen or so from children's books. Are these something a reasonable person (what I want to be) would hold on to or something a pack rat (what my genetics dictate) would hold on to? Thanks!

#2 of 11 Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM

We always use them for arts and crafts goodness. carrot.gif

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#3 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM

I would recycle them for art projects or whatever, but dh would save them.  (He got mad that I even took them off the books!) :)  I do think books look prettier on the shelves without the jackets.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#4 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 11:56 AM

I think jackets are there to make a book stand out on the shelf at book store so people would notice them. I trow out any if I get books with them. Books look much more neater and uniform on the shelve when they are "naked"

#5 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM

I'd say leave 'em on the books, or throw them out. I definitely wouldn't remove and then keep them; they're not worth extra space and storage planning.

#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 AM

I've been holding onto them because shrug.gif...  Yeah, those will be going in the recycle bin asap!

#7 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM

I see you are talking abut children's books so it probably isn't applicable, but I'll throw in my long-time-bookstore-employee-2-cents:

If you ever sell books back to a used bookstore, NOT having a dustjacket makes is worth far less and it's far less likely that it will be bought. Also, if you ever find a first edition, special edition, signed copy etc (anything that might hold more value) I would suggest keeping the dustjacket on it simply because it looses it's value almost completely without it.

Otherwise, toss 'em!

#8 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well ya what matthia said, however in all practicality this mommy tosses them as soon as we get home unless its a special book.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all for your responses! It was kind of a reality check situation for me. I've moved them into the box of art paper - hope to use them for some craft stuff. Will have to think of some specific projects though, bc  I don't want them just hanging out in that box for the next 5 years...

#10 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Our schoolteachers decoupaged pictures from bookjackets onto nice wooden chairs that they call "reader's chairs" - the kids get to sit on them when they read aloud to the group, or for other special things like birthdays or whatever.   They turned out really cute, and they will be doing more furniture this way.  

#11 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post

Our schoolteachers decoupaged pictures from bookjackets onto nice wooden chairs that they call "reader's chairs" - the kids get to sit on them when they read aloud to the group, or for other special things like birthdays or whatever.   They turned out really cute, and they will be doing more furniture this way.  

Oh my gosh- I love this idea!  I plan to use it to create a reading nook for the kids. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page