We are moving!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are getting ready to move to a new house. The thought of packing up all this stuff is overwhelming! I am going to be donating, selling, or giving away what I can, because clutter is NOT going to follow us to the new place.

Any tips, ideas, etc for packing and organizing?

#2 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Here to join you, no real advice. We may be moving soon as well, waiting to hear on a job. If we do move it will be a quick one! I really stress getting the house ready to be on the market. Since our move would be across the country, we really shouldn't take unnecessary stuff with us. I want to avoid getting a storage unit. If I can't find a place to put it in the house right now, then we don't need it.  Someone just posted an awesome decluttering list. I'm going to use that as a good guideline. Good Luck!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck with your move if it happens! Luckily we aren't even going out of state.

I made a vow that anything that isn't absolutely LOVED and/or NEEDED are not making their way to the new house. We have a lot of what I call habitual clutter. Meaning, it's just kind of there and you have no real use for it but it's become such a habit to see it somewhere you don't notice it anymore. Then there is the clutter with sentiment behind it. One example: we have a bunch of books that belonged to DH's grandma. They have her name in them. They aren't books that we would likely ever read, but I feel bad for dumping Grandma's books. She died before DH and I started dating so I don't know her spin on the situation. Maybe she would say, "Oh my you still have those old things??" LOL I know it may sound weird but I like to do genealogy so I have a ton of papers, old photos, and other stuff mainly relating to MY family so I feel like "How can I dump stuff from DH's family when I have so much from mine?". I guess books really shouldn't count though, unless they were some kind of special book like a family album or family history. There are bibles of hers I think so maybe keep the bibles and donate the rest?

#4 of 6 Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 PM

This link is really helpful imo and can aid you in de-cluttering before the move http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1296641/old-get-rid-of-decluttering-list  GL and I hope the move goes smoothly for you. :)

#5 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM

I can also commiserate!  We are moving ourselves locally - just rec'd the keys a little early a couple of days ago and will be in the new house completely by 5 March.  We are military, and have moved ourselves or have had movers do it for us every 1-3 yrs for 12 yrs now, yet we still keep to collect clutter with each home (and having 3 children now is not helping wink1.gif lol!).  I am going at it room-by-room and now that I am working on the bathroom (and going from a spacious bathroom to one with very little storage space), I am working on reducing the "stuff" in there by minimizing items, switching to simpler, more natural options our entire family can use, etc.  

I am also decluttering other rooms - junkie little toys of the kids' (they are old enough to realize and to do it w/me at ages 5 and 8), going through everyone's clothes to purge the things that do not fit, going through books and DVDs, etc.  Breaking it down room-by-room has helped tremendously.  Also, purging items not worn, used, displayed for a year or more is helpful...as well as excessive holiday decorations (we have a ton!).

I hope your move is as stress-free as possible for you!

#6 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM

Good luck ladies...I'm moving in less than two weeks and my problem is motivation....I'm 7weeks preg and have nausea...and today a low grade fever virus that my son lovingly shared with me, lol. I know what I need to do, just having a hard time getting up and making it happen. Your post are inspiring though thank you..maybe I'll get moving here....

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page