Preparing my home for triplets - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have two dd's 8 & 3 yrs and we are expecting triplets in June. Things seem to be getting chaotic already because I am not doing much housework. That doesn't bother me too much though, its neccessary for now. But how should I get the house ready for the coming months?  I want us to be prepared with supplies and I'd like to know how to let people know how to help us.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#2 of 5 Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 PM

Make and freeze meals in advance {you could get someone to do this for you. you write out the recipes and what foods/spices are needed}

Stock up on pacifiers of different brands and bottles {I like Avent}

Get a bottle brush

Buy lots of baby wash products {I prefer Suave free & clear for kids because it's cheap/has no scent}

Invest in a nice baby swing or 3 {I have a Fischer Price papasan style one that I LOVE. It plugs into the wall or uses batteries}

Get lots of baby blankets {even though it's June, they'll get chilled}

Onesies, baby t shirts, baby socks, sleepers. But especially baby gowns. Excellent for middle of the night changes!

something for white noise {a nature cd, a box fan pointed away from babies}

If you're using disposable diapers, watch for diaper sales and use coupons {the best sposies I've found are Huggies Lil Movers and 7th Generation}

Same for wipes; use coupons and shop sales

Invest in a good baby carrier

Get some baby safe detergent {I use All Free & Clear}

Maybe get something like a Cuddle U or Boppy, to set a baby in while you care for the other two

a baby monitor and extra batteries

You could cut costs by buying in bulk, online but look for places with free shipping or coupon codes.

You can get SUPER cheap coupons here http://couponbeat.com/ and use them for w/e you need.

Buy a baby carrier used; it's much cheaper.

Check out Goodwill, consignment shops and thrift stores for used baby clothing, baby monitors, Boppy's etc.

Do a search at www.food.com for "freezer meals" and you'll find some easy to make/freeze meals. You could use disposable casserole dishes instead of pricey Pyrex.

Last but not least, check out the multiples section on here http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/158  I bet they could help you out better.

Congrats on the triplets! What a blessing heartbeat.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Triplets = survival parenting

-I would do a good declutter and get rid of or pack away for now all the extras. The decorations that you don't really really love, the bits and pieces, hobby stuff that you will not get too. Anything things that need to be dusted, picked up, put away etc. should be questioned. Do a little bit at a time.

-For everything that stays out, make sure it has a home. You can even label the home.

-Have a place to put things that are on their way back to their home.

-Put the older one's toys into rotation so that there are not so many to pick up. Change them up every so often. I keep toys in rubber made bins and change them every few weeks for my two year old. He is usually happiest with very few toys out.

-Set up a good outgoing flow for trash, recycling etc.

-Set up a laundry plan and get everything together, detergent, baskets, etc. Get any extra clothes out of rotation and out of the drawers. Make sure you have a place to put laundry in every place it is made.

-Make a snack cupboard in your kitchen. Teach your older children to use it responsibly (as best makes sense). -Pull anything you don't use frequently off your counter and out of easy reach cupboard space. Make room for baby kitchen stuff x3.

-I would consider making a set weekly or two week meal plan and live in that rut until you can find time for more creativity. Pull together all the recipes and make the grocery list and just go on auto pilot. Think of breakfasts, lunches and snacks too.

-Figure out what cleaning tasks are important to you. Do you need the kitchen table wiped up after every meal but don't give a hoot about vacuuming the rug. Write out a priorities list so anyone helping can do what will help most. Get together months of cleaning supplies and stock away extra rags etc.

-Set up baby stations on each floor of your house with their daily supplies, a place to change them and to safely put them down.

-Set up a non baby place for your older children. Somewhere to play with tiny things that babies should not get into.

-Plan for your older children's care if/when you are away. What are their routines, quirks, etc. Pull together in a way that is easy to communicate with whoever will care for them.

-Make a list of ways people can help you, now and after the babies. Search around the internet and make a very long list. When people ask how they can help, show them. I know there are some good websites to organize it all and let people sign up to do specific things. A Google calendar could also work.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM

I agree about decluttering/simplifying. Try to come up with quick meals that you can make and will last a few meals. I'm thinking chili, tacos (I brown up 2 lb of ground turkey at once and season it and freeze. Then I only have to cut the lettuce & tomato the next time I pull it out of the freezer. When our LO was a newborn, we bought thins cuts of meat that cook quickly. I gave myself a while to get on my feet with paper plastic stuff (to my older dd's horror-- "But Mommy, you said we shouldn't use paper plates")

Right now, before they come, take 1 room where you spend most of your time, and make it childproof. For me, it's the family room. We have a super yard around the entertainment center, outlets covered, coffee table removed, etc. Set up a diaper changing area. I'd put a dresser/chest or even the plastic drawers for clothing and other baby supplies. My brother has twins, and they spent a lot of time on the family room floor. It was easier to keep one baby close while feeding/changing another.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Another thought... there are different systems to keep track of when each baby was changed/fed, etc. I would definitely look into that. If you can have help, that will help people know where to jump in. If people want to give you gifts, ask for funds for cleaning help.
Juvysen likes this.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page