Best food storage containers (lunchbox friendly)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi-

DH and I both WOH, and DD goes to daycare.  I am in charge of packing lunches for DD and myself every night.  We each have a laptop lunchbox, and I like that style (the 4 little containers inside the box), but it's exhausting to pack, come home, unpack, wash, repack, repeat for 5 days a week.  DH and I talked about it (tight budget) and decided that it would be worth it to buy enough little containers so that on Sunday evenings, I can pack up a week's worth of foods for DD and myself, and then during the week it's just a matter of scooping up the prefilled containers and throwing them in the lunchbag.  Picture, for example, 5 little containers filled with applesauce, one for each day's lunch for DD. 

We cannot afford to buy a bunch of extra laptop lunchbox containers.  I'm looking for containers that are budget-friendly, safe (non toxic, especially given that sometimes there will be food in them that needs to be heated up in a microwave), and small enough to fit several of them into a laptop lunchbox-size lunchbag. 

Any ideas or links?

Thanks!!

#2 of 7 Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM

I wanted to buy the ones with the cubes, but ended up just using the take n toss bowls because they are BPA free. My dd likes that they come in pink and purple. I like that they are inexpensive.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to mention- I need a variety of sizes- like little ones for cookies or cheese cubes, but then also big ones for sandwiches or pasta.

#4 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM

We use ziplock brand containers,not sure if they are bpa free but they work well and are easy to clean. We also use silicone cupcake liners to hold small things like cheese/crackers- stuff we don't want to touch other stuff. They are easy to clean and the kids think they are fun.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM

We like lock & lock containers. There are some other brands I've found at big Asian markets that are just as good, but the off-brand ones from walmart, target, etc don't seem as nice.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#6 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM

I've been looking at these bags:
http://www.amazon.com/ReUsies-Pack-Snack-Sandwich-Reusable/dp/B004AE3DPQ/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#7 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM

I also have Laptop Lunches boxes which I pack for my husband, son, and myself. I have a set of bento buddies for each of us. They give us a bit of versatility with the extra lids and the sandwich sized box and give me a back up set. Every night, after dinner, I pack the next day's containers and my husband clean's that day's containers with the dinner dishes which works out great. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page