Rearranging the upstairs-ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two bedrooms upstairs both fairly good sized:

ours is I believe about 16x10 and the other bedroom is about 10x20.

The smaller bedroom currently has a queen bed, 3 dressers, a desk, two large bookshelves, a co-sleeper and a nightstand. We also have radiators so one large radiator. 

The larger bedroom has a twin bed, a queen size futon, a dresser, a small bookshelf, a shelf of bins for toys, a toy box, large radiator and a small toy kitchen.

Our four year old has the larger bedroom and our 3 month old is in our bedroom now. 

Definitely staying in our room: Queen bed, two dressers, desk, one bookshelf (it is a built in to the wall) and nightstand.

Definitely staying in our son's room: Dresser, twin bed, most of the toys. 

Going: Queen futon- listing it on craigslist today. The toy box-the lid is broken. Possibly the large book shelf in our room if I can pare down what is currently on it. We have a basement for storage. 

So basically our room will have a corner that has the 'office' stuff- desk, bookshelf and the rest be a bedroom.

I am debating what to get when the baby outgrows the co-sleeper. We are not planning on keeping him in our bed long term because we did that with our older son and it made my husband miserable due to lack of sleep. I also work nights (per diem for now).

We could get a convertible crib-toddler bed-double frame or a twin mattress for the baby. 

Ideas?

I'll try to post pictures tonight. Right now everything is pulled apart from my rearranging. 

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#2 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26465840@N02/sets/72157624456250217/with/4827900391/

Here are some pictures of my son's room. They are from the summer, but it should give you and idea of the room we are working with. 

So far:

I moved a dresser into my son's room from our room

listed the futon on craigslist

emptied the toy chest and put it outside on the porch

Bulk trash pick up is Thursday. Our old mattress (that we put in the basement in the summer thinking we would do something with it but it has just been sitting in the basement) and broken entertainment center are going out as well.

How come reorganizing always makes things look so much worse in the middle? There is stuff everywhere now. I have to wait until my husband comes home to finish moving furniture because I can't move the big dresser by myself. 

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM

WTG on the progress! I love your sons room, that blue color is gorgeous!

#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM

If you go with a twin mattress, Kmart has the really soft non springs type for around $100 something and you can get it delivered to your local store I think. I'd get a mesh railing for both sides of it or just put the mattress on the floor.

#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

The futon left this morning (and I am a little sad to see it go, but it went to a good home).

The bedroom is rearranged. I ended up giving the big dresser to the boys, they each have one side of it and it is in their room.

I have the tall dresser and the small dresser in our bedroom. 

I still need to clean up the mess from eliminating furniture and find new homes for things but I think I am about to purge my clothing now that I have a much smaller dresser. I think I have some clothes that I like but haven't worn in 5 years. It is time to let go! Also I need to decide what type of bed for the baby, although I have some time, he can stay in our room for a little while longer. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page