Is a vacuum worth the space in a small apartment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have an average-sized vacuum at the moment. Do you think a vacuum would be worth the space in a small apartment? our place will be all hard-wood, which is the only thing holding me back.

If I can sweep the majority of the floors, I'm thinking of just getting a small vacuum for the corners and nooks. If anyone has anything like that, is there one small vacuum you'd recommend for that type of random use?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Well I think I would only bother if it were a vacuum that could clean hardwood. I have a Oreck and it works fine on hard floors, and its got a low profile so it doesn't take up much room.
#3 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM

I moved from an apartment with carpets to an all tile house, and I almost never use my vacuum. It's outside in the laundry room and rarely ends up coming back in the house - usually only when I'm vacuuming between the sofa cushions. So I say you don't really need one. It's much easier to sweep the floors than to vacuum them.
#4 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM

We have this;  http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=shark+stick+vac&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4988493961683948969&sa=X&ei=IxJ9TcmaBcTprAHsrJn_BQ&ved=0CEoQ8wIwAg#

We have a house, with some carpet and some hard surfaces and I love this vac.  It also converts to a hand held.  It takes up very little space, is very light, and my three year old uses it! 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#5 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 04:53 AM

I just bought one for our floors (hardwood) and LOVE it. I was worried about having one because we only have a small space and it has to be out in the open. But it has made an enormous difference to how clean the floors are. There are thin groove gaps in between the floorboards and I was never getting anywhere sweeping every day because a lot of the dust/crumbs would stay down in there. It has made it so much easier to clean and keep clean. That said if you are buying a new one and know you will have a tiny place, I would highly recommend one similar to this...

http://www.godfreys.com.au/vacuum_cleaner_information.php?cat=5&is_subcat=0&id=291&page=1&catname=SGFuZCBWYWN1dW0gQ2xlYW5lcg==

Its a dustbuster and vacuum combined so you can easily clip them off for quick vacuums with the dustbuster. I had one when I used to live in an apartment and it was perfect for small spaces.

Oh and this is the one we ended up getting just recently because if its going to be out for all to see it may as well be cute lol.gif.....

http://www.shopperhive.co.uk/compare/numatic-hetty-vacuum-prices

#6 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 AM

DS has one of those lightweight "stick vacs" iykwim. It works ok but I think sweeping works better. But if you could mostly sweep and just needed the vac for a small room or rug then it would be fine IMO.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#7 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM

How small is small? I had one in our previous 800 sq ft appartment. All ceramic tile floors. Sweeping is OK but I wouldn't happily do without a weekly throrough clean with a vacuum. The vacuum gets floors cleaner, and you notice the difference if you mop after vacuming or after sweeping. And think not only nooks & corners, but rugs, sofas, matresses, curtains. Think random spills, the occasion broken glass. I have just an ordinary Bosch model but it has all the attachments, a wide brush and good suction. I don't think with a baby vac that the size difference would make up for the efficiency loss.

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page