simplifying my closet/style - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need basics. Things I can wear everyday. Maybe in different colors. Right now I am getting rid of too much stuff that I can only wear once in a while. 

I am eliminating ALL clothes from my closet that don't fit anymore. What do you do with maternity clothes? How do you store yours without being in a space consuming card board box?

Also, I like things like tunics, flowy pants, and skirts. But I need basic ones. Where do I buy such things? I don't like the quality of target and often times I find it hard to find thrift buys that fit properly because I have a large bust. 

We have a tiny closet and I have got to downsize. I am sad to give away my vintage dresses and it is a bit hard to let go of a style that I thought defined my outward appearance. Did you have a hard time with this? Since being a mom I just don't care to look "different". Now I just want to look pretty and light. 

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

ooh, i think it's really cool that you have your style and a sort of "uniform" nailed down.  that's a good place to start - i wish i could tell you where to find what you're looking for, but i don't know.  i'm sure someone will (or you could post that specific question in TAO).

with saving maternity clothes, i'm really picky about that . . . i probably saved five or less pieces of maternity clothing, because after ds2 was born i knew i didn't want to conceive again any time super soon (now he's 4yo and i'm single, yet not ready to for sure be "done" as i'm only 30).  i also received tons of maternity clothes from sil and a friend, and bought them on clearance at old navy for $10 or less.  therefore i figured if/when i get pregnant again, it's easy to replace that stuff.  that rambling thought aside, once you have a stash that you know you really want to keep, you can get one of those bags that you zip it all into, and then suck the air out with a vacuum.  they really do compress way down!

with your special vintage dresses that are hard to say goodbye to, you might be happier finding a specific person for them, rather than donating.  you could post them on craigslist or something, if you don't know personally know someone who'd want them.  i am fine donating, because i figure that way someone will be putting my things to good use rather than me just storing them.  however i can totally understand being bummed about letting those go.  do you have a picture of yourself from that time that really captures your style?  if so, maybe displaying that somewhere would help you feel like that aspect of your persona is still around.

Momsteader likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM

I would look places like Etsy or Hyena Cart.com  You can work directly with the designer and get a quality item that will last and you'll love :)

Maternity stuff, I always gave most of mine away to friends who needed, and they always gave back when I needed. So, I got some of mine, and a few new pieces too.  Like PP, I kept maybe 5 or 6 things (mostly jeans/bottoms as I am tall and it's hard to find them to fit properly!). And then just filled in from clearance/friends loaners when I needed them again.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh, vacuum bags! I hadn't thought of that! I had a lot of maternity handed down too, but I love everything because being pregnant was such a fun and beautiful time! I think I will bag 'em up.

Really good, albeit funny, idea to frame a pic of myself in my favorite outfit! My hubby would think I am a nut, as he has never understood why one would want to wear outdated clothing to begin with disappointed.gif

Hyena Cart is sweet, I had never been exposed to that yet. 

Thanks Mamas, for the ideas. 

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#5 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM

J. Jill might have the style you want.

Tjej

#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM

I agree with the J Jill suggestion.  Your wardrobe-to-be sounds like my own.  I like to get my shoes from Nordstrom.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page