glass container to hold 5 lb bag of flour - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was hoping that someone could offer suggestions of glass containers that will hold 5 lbs for my flour.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Just brainstorming, but I've seen glass dispensers for iced tea/lemonade, and some are a larger size. You couldn't use the dispensing mechanism for flour but the ones I've seen have a screw top (probably plastic, but I think you can get ones with glass bodies at least).

Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This container holds a 5lb bag of flour.  The lid is NOT airtight, but sits very well on it.  I have 5 on my counter holding AP flour, cornmeal, sucanat, rice, and oats.  Since I use my grains fairly quickly, I don't worry about the air tightness of the lid.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM

I have the glass canister set from Ikea and would recommend that.

Mariah
Mommy to Lily & Kane and we're homeschooling joy.gif
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I like the IKEA ones and I like these similar ones from the container store. I love that airtight flip-lock lid. I prefer the square sided ones I have since they fit together nicely. I have a bunch of them I've collected over the years and they hold my flours (white and ww), rices (white, brown, occasional wild rice), lentils, cornmeal, oats. I have dried beans just in jars with screw top lids. I like to look at them and know right away what's where since they're glass.

ETA: I buy flour from the bulk bin rather than in 5 lb bags so I'm not sure which size would be best for that, but they come in a wide range of sizes so I'm sure you could get one that would work.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Restaurants that buy green olives or bananna peppers (gourmet pizza) usually have one gallon glass jars, which holds a 5 lb bag. Most employees just throw them away, so you could always go ask, or if you know someone, even better.  Also, you can buy a one gallon Ball mason jar from Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM

My local HFS (Sprouts) carries gallon glass jars with a metal lid--tight seal--for $5.  The half gallon size is $3.50.  Scooping is not the easiest, a 1 cup measure doesn't fit easily, so I usually store 'pourable' ingredients in them--cornmeal, rice, beans.  My flours are in old school avacado-colored Tupperware canisters from my grandmother's house. 

Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I like the IKEA ones and I like these similar ones from the container store. I love that airtight flip-lock lid. I prefer the square sided ones I have since they fit together nicely. I have a bunch of them I've collected over the years and they hold my flours (white and ww), rices (white, brown, occasional wild rice), lentils, cornmeal, oats. I have dried beans just in jars with screw top lids. I like to look at them and know right away what's where since they're glass.

ETA: I buy flour from the bulk bin rather than in 5 lb bags so I'm not sure which size would be best for that, but they come in a wide range of sizes so I'm sure you could get one that would work.

I have the same containers you posted from the container store!  They are awesome!!  I got them super cheap at The Christmas Tree shop probably 7 or so years ago.  I have them lined up on my counter top with all kinds of stuff in them from pasta, rice, different kinds of sugars, popcorn, tea and coffee.  The big ones might even hold close to a 5lb bag of flour.  I buy a 10lb bag  of flour so I use a big rubbermaid container to keep it in.  The only drawback is a 1c measuring scoop doesn't quite fit in the opening :(   I love being able to see what I have available and I think it adds a little interest to my boring counter.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM

We have a large container for 5lbs of coffee beans that we got at Pier One.

I second the idea that you want your 1 cup measure to fit inside the canister for flour. We have glass jars that didn't do that and we hated it. We finally compromised and are using Tupperware. It (the container) needed to be affordable and we needed to fit whole wheat flour, white flour and sugar in the same cabinet.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for the ideas. i definitely need a cup measuring cup to fit into the container with some extra room so that limits my options. i am might try the squared storage jars from the container store, just have to double check the height in the refrigerator shelf so we could store our seeds and nuts.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 PM

I have the container store variety and the work well for storing but not for pouring, and once the flour gets low, it is very hard to use. I use scoops to get my ingredients out of the jars, which, while it adds a step to my baking, it actually fits in the jar pretty good.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

User Tag List