how clean is your home...really? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

My house is rarely in such a state I would be embarrassed if someone stopped by unexpectedly. Laundry baskets full of clean laundry ready to be folded or full of dirty ready to be washed is pretty standard.  A dishwasher full of dirty dishes is pretty standard too. Mail piled up on the table and general household clutter is pretty normal too.  To me this is nothing to be embarrassed about. shrug.gif

That said the bathrooms a guest would use are always pretty clean since they are rarely used otherwise. I am a big cook so my kitchen is always spotless.  I clean as I go.  Nothing makes me crazier than having to clean before I can start cooking.

We never make our beds but what guest comes and checks out your bedrooms?  We don't mind it so who cares?

Dusting/vacuuming etc is done *maybe* once a week so if said guest showed up unexpectedly and walked around barefoot yeah that might be embarrassing! lol.gif

Oh and I am freak about "fluffing" the couch cushions/pillows, straightening the magazines/books on the coffee table, etc before I go to bed each night so our family room looks pretty good at the start of each day.

Yeah this is pretty much how we are around here too. It did take a few years for me to figure out how to make it happen and maintain the house like this, things were not always this smooth.
#32 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

At certain times of my life my home was not clean at all. Not filthy dirty, but just dusty and unorganized and cluttered. A lot of this was when my dd2 was so sick for the first few years, and then I went to nursing school! Getting back into the routine has been great the last couple of weeks since I'm not in school anymore. I can say that my home is truly clean again. I just have to stick with the morning routine and it takes about an hour a day. If I get off the routine, which I did on Saturday as we we very busy, the house really fell apart. :-( 

I can identify strongly with your post....due to periods of depression including the time when my DS had cancer, I don't know if anything got dusted really.

I finally have more of a handle on it....although I still get days when I can't lift a finger due to feeling down/PMS etc... 

My house is now clean enough that if anyone came in, I would not be embarrassed, (unless they opened the (very high up) top right cupboard in one room, which I know is in dire need of cleaning and I am too scared to open it!)

Re beds not being made, this used to be me, but since starting motivated moms, I started doing them just because they were on the list, and I have been surprised to find what a difference it makes, and the whole family have commented how much they enjoy having the beds tidy during the day!

SAHM to three
#33 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Quote:

I can identify strongly with your post....due to periods of depression including the time when my DS had cancer, I don't know if anything got dusted really.

I finally have more of a handle on it....although I still get days when I can't lift a finger due to feeling down/PMS etc... 

My house is now clean enough that if anyone came in, I would not be embarrassed, (unless they opened the (very high up) top right cupboard in one room, which I know is in dire need of cleaning and I am too scared to open it!)

Re beds not being made, this used to be me, but since starting motivated moms, I started doing them just because they were on the list, and I have been surprised to find what a difference it makes, and the whole family have commented how much they enjoy having the beds tidy during the day!

Yes, I had forgotten how much depression played a part in my house too, when the kids were younger. It was like my inner self was being expressed through the state of the house. I too make the beds daily now and you are right, it just makes things look so much better. I hope your depression stays away.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#34 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM

I really struggle when my babies are small. Now my house is clean but my youngest is 2.5 and its so much easier because he is out of nappies, not feeding all night, etc. He doesn't make as much mess now. :) I feel like I can be more on top of things without a baby in the house. This will change next month! I really have no idea how people can have really clean houses with a small child.

What I find helps is keeping the house decluttered and also having support from my husband and kids (who are old enough to tidy and do a job or two).

I think my state of mind definitely has an effect too. How I am feeling emotionally will show up in my motivation to clean or not.

#35 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Well.  My house is messy. orngbiggrin.gif  It's actually well organized but it's only 500 sq ft so if five things are on the floor it looks like a huge disaster.  Plus, I suck at doing dishes, so there are ALWAYS dishes in the sink except sometimes on Friday nights after my kids go to their dad's--I might do them all then because I know the sink will stay clean for the weekend.  Right now, there are a bunch of spices standing in the middle of the kitchen floor because I cleaned out and reorganized the kitchen cupboards (hauled a bunch of stuff to Goodwill) and didn't buy enough new racks to hold all the spices.  Oops.  There's always some little thing like that making a mess.  The FedEx guy usually looks a little scared when he comes to the door.

#36 of 39 Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM

My house is very clean most of the time -- but there are reasons for that (other than me being June Cleaver...not...lol)

For one, I only have one child (talk to me when I have a newborn in June!) and she's of an age where she's not constantly making messes. She is able to clean up fairly well, and is past the toddler tornado stage.

Secondly, we live in only about 1000sf, so if I had a 2500sf house I imagine that would be more difficult to stay on top of.

Thirdly, I'm a sahm. Parenting and the home is my chosen (and very happily) "career" for now. If I worked full-time out of the home I can imagine it would be way more difficult to keep my home as clean, or if I were a single mama doing it all on my own, etc...

Additionally, we are seriously decluttered -- to the point of near minimalism (but not quite there yet). I think that is one of the biggest reason my home appears clean (even if it's not "white glove ready"). Having far less stuff than the typical American family gives the appearance of cleanliness even if there are some dust bunnies or crumbs here and there.

Also -- we have a lot of convenience items that aid in keeping a house clean -- like a washer/dryer and dishwasher. A few years ago, we lived in an apartment that had neither a washer/dryer or dishwasher -- so things got messier faster because laundry would pile up as well as dishes -- and my daughter was also a crazy toddler getting into everything.

So the point is, depending on where you are in your life, how old your kids are, whether you work outside the home or not, etc... I think has to do with how clean your home is at any given time. Everyone's circumstances are different. I don't judge people for having less clean or more cluttered homes than I -- I just feel calmer, happier, and more organized when my space is orderly, but I acknowledge that there are factors in my life that help me have an orderly home.

Now, in a couple of months when I have a newborn and a homeschool-aged kid, things may not be so orderly for a while, and I'm okay with that.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#37 of 39 Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for every ones replies. I do not feel quite so alone anymore!

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#38 of 39 Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brees_Mama View Post

I can completely relate to the bolded parts. I could have written those.

And I'd love to have a Roomba! I think my kids might kill it within 2 days though, lol

I found the Roomba for $25 at a garage sale two years ago. We just had to replace it because we wore it out when I used it to clean the floors at the local bookstore I work at when I was too pregnant to vacuum comfortably. The replacement was $100 on Ebay, and worth every penny! That was my tax refund splurge. The Scooba was also an Ebay find for $75! I've never had such clean floors. The only problem with them is that I have to wait for the battery to recharge after using them for more than an hour...maybe I just need to get an extra battery?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#39 of 39 Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM

I was diagnosed with postpartum depression just before Christmas, and I have noticed a complete turnaround in how clean my house is now compared to before I went on meds. I could barely gather the energy to get out of bed, let alone clean and organize an entire house! Now I've got enough energy to do the things that need to get done and cut myself some slack if I don't get to some things until the next day. Before, I would make myself sick with guilt and anxiety that I hadn't done anything all day long other than sit on the couch.

I still don't like the fact that I'm on meds, but the drastic improvement speaks volumes to me that I need to be on them for the foreseeable future. I hope that you both find some peace too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

Yes, I had forgotten how much depression played a part in my house too, when the kids were younger. It was like my inner self was being expressed through the state of the house.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page