how clean is your home...really? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really try to keep a clean home, and at the least a picked up home. I just feel like I am failing. 4 days out of the week, I don't want to answer my door because I am embarrassed by the mess.

I feel like I already require a lot of my children in allowing me to do things that MUST be done (cooking, keeping kitchen clean and sink dish free), but I am so tired by bedtime that I can't do the rest of the chores. Waking up early is not an option because my youngest is still nursing that would wake up too if I wasn't in bed to keep her asleep.

What I'm wondering - do you keep your house clean, every day? Is it clean enough to have guests over unexpectedly daily?

please tell me I'm not alone.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#2 of 39 Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 PM

a "clean house" is a relative term. 

and people have greatly reduced expectations for mothers of young children.

i have a fairly big house and no "help" with the kids or the cleaning. i am a lot more strict about the downstairs than i am about the upstairs. it's not perfect by any stretch. but i am fine with company coming over -- most people would just be downstairs. the few that come upstairs are closer friends, and i can live with them seeing more of a mess. 

i have 4 rooms downstairs, and 8 rooms upstairs. plus 3 bathrooms.

2 kids, age 4 and 1.5. they traipse things all over the house, and there are not enough minutes in the day or energy in my body to keep up with them and it, so i mostly focus on keeping the downstairs neat and clean, and i get to the upstairs in spurts, when i can.

#3 of 39 Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 AM

Don't be too hard on yourself...you are still nursing a baby, that takes a huge amount of energy in itself, so give yourself a pat on the back for whatever you manage to achieve.

I agree that with young children, people won't expect your house to be anywhere near spotless, and if they do, they aren't worth knowing!! lol.gif

I still struggle to keep the house clean, and my kids are much older now (see my siggy), and I seem to remember that when my girls were little, cleaning definitely took a back seat to everything else. ;)

*bejeweled* likes this.

SAHM to three
#4 of 39 Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Oh, be prepared this is long....

I'd have to agree that : A "clean house" is a relative term.  It all depends on your idea of what clean is, and what your expectations are.  I also feel there is a big difference in how someones house appears if you just drop by vs if you've been invited to come over.

I have 3 kids and 1 on the way (6, 4, 2, and baby due in next month)  I also have a husband (who makes a mess) and 3 cats... If someone were to just drop by my house at any given point during the day they're most likely going to see toys on the floor, crumbs under my kitchen table, arts and crafts all over the dining room table, some dishes in the sink or on the stove, hair on the bathroom floor, and finger prints on things.  They're probably going to smell the cat box and see some cat hair around the house...lol... And that's just the downstairs not including the mess that the kids make upstairs in their rooms.  That's just part of being home and living life. 

I do sweep every day and do dishes multiple times a day.  I mop more than once a week, and dust about every week.  I wipe down the appliances a couple times a week, but soon after there's a new mess and little finger prints on things again. I also do 10+ loads of laundry a week and not every load gets put away as soon as they are out of the dryer.  So there is usually at least one laundry basket either on my floor or bed to be either washed/folded/ or put away.  I try to swish out the toilet a few times a week, and wipe it down.  But we only have one bathroom and unless I'm doing it multiple times a day it's not always going to look completely clean.  I clean the cat box a couple times a week, but some days it just smells more than others.  The kids pick up their toys in their rooms before bed, but I don't dust or sweep up there as much as I should.  There are some things that are just impossible to keep up with to have an immaculate home all the time.  Unless of course you aren't home all day to make any messes.  So if someone just dropped by I may feel a little self conscious about how the house looks depending on the time of day and how the day has been going.  But I know that my house is clean.  There are some days that I might get nothing done at all because I don't feel good, or I have a sick kid, or I'm just being lazy and the house will look like a total disaster.  Mind you I'm not nursing a little one yet.  My 3 are a little more self sufficient so I can get more things done.  I'm sure once the new one comes some of the cleaning will get pushed aside and my house will be a little messier.

I grew up in a very neat and clean household (it was only my mother and myself).  When I was a kid the first thing my mother would ask when I came home from a new friends house was how clean the house was....LOL  So I know that I naturally have very high expectations of how I feel peoples houses should look just because of the way I was brought up.  So if I invite someone over I feel that is a totally different situation!  I will make sure the floors are swept/mopped, counters and all tables are wiped clean and clutter is put away, the dishes are clean and put away (or at least hiding in the dishwasher), bathroom is clean, appliances are wiped down, and windows are finger print free, and lastly toys are picked up.  If I'm inviting someone into my house I want them to feel comfortable and not looking around at a mess.

I have been invited over other peoples houses and the house is a total disaster!  Situations where you don't know where to put your coat or bag down because you're afraid it's going to get stained or stick to something, or your shoes stick to the floor because there's spills that never got cleaned up and are now dried and sticky.  I've been invited to playdates for the older kids at peoples houses where it's obvious that the mess on the table is from dinner the night before and breakfast and it was never wiped up and now everyone is sitting around the table and you can't put your arms down because of the crumbs.  And it's clearly obvious that some things just never get cleaned.  There's been times that it's even to the point that I'm afraid to use the bathroom because there is just grime on everything. I feel it's a little disappointing and am a little shocked because these have been situations where I've been invited over not just stopped by.  If I just stopped by someones house unexpected (which I hardly ever do) I would never have any assumptions on how clean the house should be especially if they have small children.  I would also never judge someone if there was a mess when I'm the one who's stopping by unannounced.

I wouldn't worry about it.  You've got a lot going on still nursing a little one which takes a lot of time and energy!

#5 of 39 Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do dishes and counter tops daily.

Floors once week.

One major chore each day.... bathrooms, linens or cleaning out the fridge or something big that needs doing.

I do my laundry off and on during the weekend and each child puts away her own load.

Did I leave anything out? My system allows me to have folks in if they drop over and usually there's no scummy build up anywhere unless we've been sick. I do make the kids remove their stuff from the common areas each night before the bedtime rituals. I also will have them do a quick bathroom check and sofa tidy if we know someone is popping over.
#6 of 39 Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesKace View Post

Oh, be prepared this is long....

I have been invited over other peoples houses and the house is a total disaster!  Situations where you don't know where to put your coat or bag down because you're afraid it's going to get stained or stick to something, or your shoes stick to the floor because there's spills that never got cleaned up and are now dried and sticky.  I've been invited to playdates for the older kids at peoples houses where it's obvious that the mess on the table is from dinner the night before and breakfast and it was never wiped up and now everyone is sitting around the table and you can't put your arms down because of the crumbs.  And it's clearly obvious that some things just never get cleaned.  There's been times that it's even to the point that I'm afraid to use the bathroom because there is just grime on everything. I feel it's a little disappointing and am a little shocked because these have been situations where I've been invited over not just stopped by.

Yes...One of my best friends has a house like this...I hated having to use the bathroom when invited over as I couldn't even sit on the toilet seat.  It does make me wonder why she doesn't clean up...but I still want her as a friend. I just accept that she has a problem with coping with cleaning....and she now finally gets a cleaner in, thank goodness!

SAHM to three
#7 of 39 Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM

my home is "clean" in the way that the things are wiped up the floors are tidy, swept/mopped/vaccumed. The bathroom are cleaned 1-2x a week, I do 2 loads of wash every day and yeah...lol. There might be the babies toys all over the stinking place but thats just clutter ya know? Plus it gets picked up 2x a day...so really its nothing big. I grew up in a home like a previous poster described about the filth. I will never live like that or much less allow my children to live like that. I want people to enjoy coming by and my children to enjoying having friends over. I literally never had a single friend over to my house as a child because I was so mortified by the mess.

I usually start the day upstairs, when we all wake up I throw a load of wash in the washing machine (its upstairs), make beds, change babies diaper and head downstairs. I make breakfast for all of us serve it, eat with the girls (we have an eat in kitchen) so when I am done I clean my place up, tidy up the br3eakfast making, unload the dishwasher and wipe all the counters down. By then the girls are done so I swiffer sweeper vac under their chairs and clean them and thier places and put dishes in dishwasher. We then go back upstairs and brush teeth get dressed, switch the laundry to the dryer and then add another load to the wash. at lunch it is the same routine for the kitchen this way its always clean and manageble.

Dd is 4.5 and has been taught to clean up after herself and does an amazing job of putting all her things away, she has a place for everything and does a fab job of putting it there when done with it! (thank goodness.) I have a certain set of toys that stay upstairs and a certain set that stays downstairs this way they never have to run around finding the pieces all over the house and it keeps the clutter uncluttered ya know?

I scrub the tubs at night right after I take the girls out while the water is draining, so simple. I will wash down the mirrors periodically throughout the week as well as the counters. I keep spray and wipes in the vanities so that this can be done the moment I think of it instead of having to round this stuff up ya know?

#8 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My house isn't "hoarders" dirty, but there are usually crumbs on the dining room floor (often kitchen, too) and frequently on the dining room tablecloth but I just got a crumb sweeper so that's getting better. Often there's a dish or two in the sink, but usually not 30 dishes in the sink. Usually there is countertop available, though we live in a house with limited counter space. I wipe down the toilet seat *all the time* because, it seems, two little kids using the potty all the time means it needs it! However, often the toilet bowl isn't perfect and there may be toothpaste scum in the sink (as much as that grosses me out, it happens) and toys on the living room floor. I clean the worst of it before I'm expecting someone over, but on a day to day basis, it's often like that unless I'm on a cleaning kick, which seems to happen about once a month (thanks to this forum!!). It's getting easier now that ds2 is getting bigger, so it's more and more likely that my house is reasonable, these days...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 PM

My house is rarely in such a state I would be embarrassed if someone stopped by unexpectedly. Laundry baskets full of clean laundry ready to be folded or full of dirty ready to be washed is pretty standard.  A dishwasher full of dirty dishes is pretty standard too. Mail piled up on the table and general household clutter is pretty normal too.  To me this is nothing to be embarrassed about. shrug.gif

That said the bathrooms a guest would use are always pretty clean since they are rarely used otherwise. I am a big cook so my kitchen is always spotless.  I clean as I go.  Nothing makes me crazier than having to clean before I can start cooking.

We never make our beds but what guest comes and checks out your bedrooms?  We don't mind it so who cares?

Dusting/vacuuming etc is done *maybe* once a week so if said guest showed up unexpectedly and walked around barefoot yeah that might be embarrassing! lol.gif

Oh and I am freak about "fluffing" the couch cushions/pillows, straightening the magazines/books on the coffee table, etc before I go to bed each night so our family room looks pretty good at the start of each day.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#10 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am pretty much never comfortable with the state of my house when people are over, even after a big clean. I just see all the things that still need to be done & the dog hair buffalo the vacuum missed & the pile of magazines we still haven't sorted through, etc, etc. Part of it is setting standards that are too high for me to meet & part of it is not being in good habits overall.

The only time I was consistently content with the state of my house was when we had a maid 3 days a week! But we can't afford that here.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

My house - bathrooms cleaned 2x week, dusted weekly, all bedding washed weekly, kitchen daily.  And so organized!  Labelled, clutter-free, sorted.  No crumbs, no smudges, no goo.  I'm a neat freak and a control freak.

Then I had kids.

Now...  I've just had to dial down my definition of clean and presentable.  I just don't care as much as I did when I had a lot less to worry about.

#12 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Normally, on an everyday basis usually my house is neat, not spotless but neat enough where Im not totally embarassed by someone stopping by. The neatness though ends at the end of the "common areas", if you were to peak into the bedrooms you would probably find an overfilled laundry basket, unmade beds, clean laundry laid out waiting to be put away, probably some diapers in a bag from the last night of diaper changes that I haven't thrown into the main trashcan yet.. I don't see these things as "bad" though, my house is lived in.. If you are nosy enough to look into my bedrooms prepare to see a little bit of a mess. If you don't like it don't look into my bedroom (who goes and snoops into other peoples rooms anyway? If the door is shut or even mostly shut its pretty obvious to me that its not suppose to be looked into).

Right now though Im moving so my house is a complete mess. Im praying every morning someone doesn't decide to stop by to say "hi" before we move because honestly Id be totally embarrassed. I have suitcases lined up in the living room, clothing piled on the chairs/couches, the movers came last week and I haven't cleaned up the mess they made etc. In 19 days anyone can stop by, just ignore the pad lock on the door, the fact no one is answering and just so they know Im no longer in the same country as them lol.gif.

Seriously, especially if you have children, if you house is neat enough to not have an overridding bug problem (having a small bug problem sometimes comes with the terriotory, I know I clean ALOT but we have bug issues because of the place we live), moldy fold all over the place, smelling like a garbage can etc then I don't think anyone should be embarrassed. If someone has a problem with your household cleanliness then they probably aren't worth wasting time on.

rebecca_n likes this.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 39 Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesKace View Post

I have 3 kids and 1 on the way (6, 4, 2, and baby due in next month)  I also have a husband (who makes a mess) and 3 cats... If someone were to just drop by my house at any given point during the day they're most likely going to see toys on the floor, crumbs under my kitchen table, arts and crafts all over the dining room table, some dishes in the sink or on the stove, hair on the bathroom floor, and finger prints on things.  They're probably going to smell the cat box and see some cat hair around the house...lol... And that's just the downstairs not including the mess that the kids make upstairs in their rooms.  That's just part of being home and living life. 

I do sweep every day and do dishes multiple times a day.  I mop more than once a week, and dust about every week.  I wipe down the appliances a couple times a week, 

I read this first paragraph and thought, oh - her house sounds like our house, and we only have one kid, 2 cats and 2 dogs.

Then I read the second bit here, and I figure JesKace is like a super woman or something.

We spent ALL day, taxing our 3 year old's patience and cleaning cleaning cleaning and we're still not done. When I was nursing a baby and couldn't get up til he did - I NEVER mopped. Not once. Never even thought of it.

Open your doors to the world, mama, and whoever comes back for a second visit is probably worth the time.

rebecca_n likes this.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#14 of 39 Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM

My house is sanitary enough, but quite cluttered. The dining room table is buried. The mail /bills area is buried in junk mail. We set bill aside, but anything else gets dumped. My love seat is completely covered in laundry that needs to be folded and put away. There are toys on the floor. Donation boxes in the corner of the living room. There is an assortment of random stuff on my kitchen floor. Hair dryer, fridge farm magnets, the baby's cup, her sock, construction paper a few shopping bags that she pulled out. She's 18 months and a little tornado these days.

Right now, I need to wash some of the larger items. DH is supposed to be in charge of washing dishes, but he never washes the colander, large pots, the skillet, etc. I made a more involved dinner while he was home to keep the baby out of trouble. Then I had a dental appointment first thing this morning, so those are piled up, but he did run the dishwasher. I worry about the clutter. I am almost never ready for a drop-in. I wish I could just get over myself. Intellectually, I know what others have said is true, but I still just hate to welcome people in to a mess. I can see improvement though. I am getting rid of tons of stuff... baby stuff mostly, and that helps. I remember that things started to calm down and my routines were easier once my older dd was 2-2.5, so in another year, I should be in a better place. Right now, the LO keeps me hoppin'!

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#15 of 39 Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM

I have a little plaque in the entryway that says "Please excuse the mess.  We live here."

Our house is cleanish, meaning not filthy, not unhygenic, the important areas are kept up regularly (bathroom, kitchen), but it's not white-glove spotless because in 3 minutes it'd be "normal" again.

So for now, while our daughter is small (and her visiting friends are small, too) we live with "good enough" and maybe someday when she's in college :P we'll have a white carpet in the living room.   Nah, I'm too much of a klutz for that, would spill red wine the minute it was installed ;)

#16 of 39 Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM

I've actually finally reached the point where, yes - my house is still quite clean and tidy.  We do still seem to have fingerprints on all the windows and glass, but that is about it.  My kids are 2 and 5 though and I've done A LOT of decluttering lately.  My 2 year old gets into anything and everything that is left out.  So everything has to be put away where he can't get to it.  I follow the Motivated Moms cleaning calendar and just pick up as I go along.  THe kids are responsible for helping too.  I've started them on a habit that they have to pick up before they go on to the next activity, and my 5 year old makes her bed every morning.  I usually allow tv for a little while after school, but that doesn't get turned on until all of the toys have been picked up and put away and my 5 yo's room is tidy.  I also have started doing dishes as they get dirty - it takes seconds to wash a pot right after you dirty it rather than leave a bunch of dishes to accumulate.  I also make sure the house is spotless when I go to bed.  Laundry folded and put away, dishes washed AND put away.  Now that I've started keeping things so tidy it takes so much less effort to keep it that way.  And DH likes how it looks so tidy and clean that he is much more willing to help keep it that way!

eta:  it helps that the kids go to bed around 7pm and it is now nearly 9 am and they are both still sleeping!  I've had a chance to do most of the chores on my MM lists and have quiet time at the computer without having to deal with the kids yet!

#17 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 AM

My house is clean-ish, not filthy or really dirty, but just clean-ish. With two kids under 3 years old, there will always be crumbs on the floor, smudges on the windows, and toys everywhere. The bathroom gets cleaned about once every 1-2 weeks, mostly depending on how dirty it gets (DD is potty trained, but doesn't wipe her butt completely sometimes, so when she slides off the toilet seat, we wipe that down ASAP), mostly while the kids are taking a bath. I'll clean the sink or mirror while they splash, and use the floor towel and my foot to clean the floor quickly. I have a Roomba and a Scooba (robots that vacuum and mop) and that has made all the difference in how clean my floors are. I think that my house would be a lot worse if I didn't have them. My kids love to chase the robots around! I turn one of them on and let the kids entertain themselves while I get some free time to go to the bathroom, clean more, or even gasp! take a shower!!!

Laundry is done daily, diapers are washed daily, floors are cleaned daily, and linens are done every week or so. My two fails are dusting and cat litter. I hate both with a passion. So my house has a lot of dust and the cat box isn't cleaned out as much as it should be.  

I've been loosely following Motivated Moms, FlyLady, and my own urges to clean. It's definitely helped that my children are more independent now and can entertain themselves for 10 minutes at a time. However, I feel like my life is narrowing down to cooking and cleaning. I spend so much time and effort keeping house that I feel like it's becoming my "worth". I mean, I've got three college degrees and here I am, folding laundry and washing dishes every day. I do have a life outside of the house and my kids, but it startles me sometimes that I've become a housewife....does anyone else know what I mean?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#18 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 AM

It depends on the day and whether DD is in school or not.

If shes home (Fri-Sunday and Mon-Thurs after 3pm) then usually there are toys all over the floor and crumbs from snacks. Sometimes, paper too.

When shes at school or gone to Nana's, it's clean (toys put away, floors vacuumed and swept, kitchen counters cleaned, bed made, dishes washed/put away, laundry washing/drying/put away, smells clean) because I clean when shes not here.

I wouldn't say it's a showcase clean home (it's small and I have stains on my carpet/3 kids/1 messy husband) but it's clean to me.

#19 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post

My house is clean-ish, not filthy or really dirty, but just clean-ish. With two kids under 3 years old, there will always be crumbs on the floor, smudges on the windows, and toys everywhere. The bathroom gets cleaned about once every 1-2 weeks, mostly depending on how dirty it gets (DD is potty trained, but doesn't wipe her butt completely sometimes, so when she slides off the toilet seat, we wipe that down ASAP), mostly while the kids are taking a bath. I'll clean the sink or mirror while they splash, and use the floor towel and my foot to clean the floor quickly. I have a Roomba and a Scooba (robots that vacuum and mop) and that has made all the difference in how clean my floors are. I think that my house would be a lot worse if I didn't have them. My kids love to chase the robots around! I turn one of them on and let the kids entertain themselves while I get some free time to go to the bathroom, clean more, or even gasp! take a shower!!!

Laundry is done daily, diapers are washed daily, floors are cleaned daily, and linens are done every week or so. My two fails are dusting and cat litter. I hate both with a passion. So my house has a lot of dust and the cat box isn't cleaned out as much as it should be.  

I've been loosely following Motivated Moms, FlyLady, and my own urges to clean. It's definitely helped that my children are more independent now and can entertain themselves for 10 minutes at a time. However, I feel like my life is narrowing down to cooking and cleaning. I spend so much time and effort keeping house that I feel like it's becoming my "worth". I mean, I've got three college degrees and here I am, folding laundry and washing dishes every day. I do have a life outside of the house and my kids, but it startles me sometimes that I've become a housewife....does anyone else know what I mean?

I can completely relate to the bolded parts. I could have written those.

And I'd love to have a Roomba! I think my kids might kill it within 2 days though, lol

#20 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

I read this first paragraph and thought, oh - her house sounds like our house, and we only have one kid, 2 cats and 2 dogs.

Then I read the second bit here, and I figure JesKace is like a super woman or something.

We spent ALL day, taxing our 3 year old's patience and cleaning cleaning cleaning and we're still not done. When I was nursing a baby and couldn't get up til he did - I NEVER mopped. Not once. Never even thought of it.

Open your doors to the world, mama, and whoever comes back for a second visit is probably worth the time.

I love that. heartbeat.gif

FWIW, I prefer going to someones house and it being "lived in" or "dirty", whatever you wanna call it. It makes me more comfortable.

#21 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brees_Mama View Post

I love that. heartbeat.gif

FWIW, I prefer going to someones house and it being "lived in" or "dirty", whatever you wanna call it. It makes me more comfortable.

I prefer to visit houses that are somewhat clean. It makes me feel more welcome and more at home.

I only have two messy friends who are worth the trouble to visit their houses that make me feel "icky and sticky". These are outstanding people and I don't go their homes often but sometimes I make the effort just because they are so cool personally.
#22 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM

Love this thread -- I struggle with whether I am keeping my house clean "enough" and I feel like all I do is clean all day! I have three kids (6, 4 and 2), a dog and three cats (a constant source of tracked dirt in the house!) My kitchen is usually clean and tidy (I do dishes right away, wipe the counters often, sweep at least twice a day, etc.) But the kitchen is where we spend most of our time and is the most visible spot in the home, so I put the most effort there. The rest of the house is either clean or tidy - but not usually both at once. I hate clutter, so I get rid of stuff often and try to keep everything in its place. I wipe the bathrooms down regularly, but mop only about once a month. The floors are a darkish wood so they don't show much dirt -- luckily because I am sure they are very dirty! It just seems like I can't get it all done at once - if the laundry is caught up and all put away the toys have overtaken the living room and the bathrooms are a mess. And vice versa. 

I feel like my house is a little like my own reflection - I can't really judge it against others very well. I've been in friends houses who are obviously messy and kind of gross and then the other extreme of super clean houses (usually people who have house cleaners). Most people I know fall somewhere in the middle and I imagine I do too. But just like my own reflection, I judge my house harsher than others. I get really, really frustrated when it gets messy and tend to see all the smudge marks on the walls and not notice how tidy it generally is.

#23 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM

We're sanitary but a bit cluttered. I vacuum/sweep constantly, because we have a furry dog who is constantly molting, plus DS has not yet outgrown the tendency to put anything and everything into his mouth.  Dishes are done nightly by DH, though he often leaves a few (I don't ask why or complain.  I hate dishes and don't want to compromise the fact that he does them).  Laundry is a constant, especially with cloth dipes, and there is always some waiting to be washed or waiting to be put away.

The living room is always presentable, even though that's where all of DS's toys live.  I'm good about picking them up constantly, and I don't really consider scattered toys clutter anyways.  It may not be perfectly dusted and vacuumed every day, but it's definitely ready for unexpected visitors.

Unfortunately, the dining room is open to the living room.  This is the room we seem to live the most in, and it shows.  And we just finished a mini kitchen renovation, so there's a refrigerator in there at the moment.  The buffet is our clutter catcher/landing zone, and the overflow is on the table.  It's not teetering stacks or anything, but there's more crap than I'd like in there.  We have way too many pairs of shoes piled by the back door.  However, the floors and table are crumb-free, and any spills are wiped up immediately.  

The kitchen, being recently reno-ed, is clean.  There's a bit of clutter on the microwave, and there are usually dishes in the sink, since our new dishwasher isn't hooked up yet.  Counters are crumb-free until I go to work and DH prepares dinner for himself and DS.  

The upstairs is more lived-in.  Our spare room collects laundry, since DH and I work opposing schedules and one of us is almost always sleeping.  It makes putting away laundry a little more difficult.  The bathroom is clean, but the bowl usually needs swished, since we follow the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" method of flushing.  DS's room is clean, but I often have a small pile of recently-outgrown clothes on his dresser waiting to go to the basement.  It's sanitary, though, and the most I'd really be embarrassed about is the fact that DS has a tendency to take condoms out of our nightstand and distribute them throughout the upstairs!  I never know where/when I might find a few...  blush.gif

The basement is the "man cave".  DH's standards are lower than mine, and I'm terribly embarrassed of it.  He leaves soda cans (empty) laying around, and his home-based business supplies are taking over.  I avoid going down there, because it usually pisses me off that it's so awful.  However, I have designated it as his space, so I don't nag him about it unless we're having repairs done and I know someone will be seeing it.  

I'm mostly just tired of living in a construction zone.  It's clean, a bit cluttered, and not finished.  We have woodwork missing, painting unfinished, and a dropcloth on our stairs until I can put the finish coat on them.  I'd be great having people drop by if my house weren't in a constant state of reconstruction!!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#24 of 39 Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

I'm mostly just tired of living in a construction zone.  It's clean, a bit cluttered, and not finished.  We have woodwork missing, painting unfinished, and a dropcloth on our stairs until I can put the finish coat on them.  I'd be great having people drop by if my house weren't in a constant state of reconstruction!!

I actually wish I was living in a construction zone...it would be better than nothing happening at all!  I have been wanting renovations for years, and frankly we just can't afford them.  Really hoping we can get renovations at least started before I turn 55 (which is in 4 years time!)

SAHM to three
#25 of 39 Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Oh no, another how clean is your house thread. bigeyes.gif lol

We are rearranging our kitchen so it is very cluttered right now. Our school room is chaotic, I didn't police how the kids were using it and then we were on vacation, so it is getting picked up Monday. In general, I need to do a big spring cleaning- washing curtains, walls, cupboards etc.

I am ok visiting homes that are to me, normal kid messy.

My house was in great shape for about 6 months, easy to pick up and keep clean, but then the holidays hit and winter and well, I let things slide. We will get back into the cleaning program this spring.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#26 of 39 Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Quote:

I actually wish I was living in a construction zone...it would be better than nothing happening at all!  I have been wanting renovations for years, and frankly we just can't afford them.  Really hoping we can get renovations at least started before I turn 55 (which is in 4 years time!)

Y'know, I suppose the "nothing happening" part is actually more accurate.  We've been plugging away VERY slowly since we had DS 18 months ago.  The plan was for the living room and upstairs to be done before he was born.  His room was done, but I never finished refinishing the stairway, we just refinished the floors last May, and the woodwork and closet doors are still not done.  In the winter, we ground to a halt completely, and we just now got a new kitchen floor out of necessity after a minor flood.  We now have 5 rooms in various states of work.  It's habitable, but it's the eternal un-finished-ness of it all that gets me.  I do much better when we're accomplishing something, though I'm very ready to just live in this house a little before we sell it!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#27 of 39 Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 AM

Hmmm, I'd say it's clean enough that I'd be fine having guests over.  However, we don't have very high standards. The house is old.  No amount of cleaning will make the carpet less ugly or the window caulking less cracked, you know?  If someone dropped by, I'd probably excuse myself and quickly run up to wipe down the bathroom and make sure the shower curtain completely covered our ugly tub. lol.gif  Otherwise, I'd be OK with them seeing the rest of the house.

It isn't sparkling.  I'm still working on cleaning the walls after the last tenant smoked in here.  It's disgusting.  But you don't see that grime unless you're the one with the damp rag that's turning yellow.  The kids know they're required to put toys away, and they don't have a lot of them to start with.  Laundry is done, and I fold and put away as soon as possible so it doesn't pile up. 

In general, the house is tidy and orderly.  There's always something that could be done--stuff on the windows, spots on the kitchen floor, a few dishes in the sink.  But those don't make it "dirty", nor do they seem to make guests uncomfortable.

#28 of 39 Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 AM

I should add, when we travelled last January, we visited two friends whose homes were not magazine-clean.  Both had older homes, both had multiple kids running around.  It was sort of generally tidy, but stuff on the floor, crumbs on the table, smudges on the window, etc.  The house of the one friend smelled like a dairy barn, because they're farmers, and live a few feet away from a dairy barn, and are in and out all day.  Even taking boots and dirty clothes off in the hallway, the whole place had that farmy atmosphere.

I love visiting those friends.  My kids love it.  We just settled in and were perfectly comfortable. love.gif

#29 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Well, reading this thread, it is obvious that we all have very different standards for what it means to be clean.  I live in an old farmhouse with ancient glass and floors so my house will never look immaculate.  I rarely clean the windows, as the glass is very thin and cleaning them can cause cracks in addition to lots of chipped paint (lead of course)  My floors are beautiful old wide boards but the cracks between them are also wide and get filled with dirt that I can't get out despite using the vaccuum attachement in each crack every week.  I think I clean less because it still looks old and kinda dirty even when I do a thorough cleaning.   I find that I have a pretty high tolerance for disorder so I let the clutter pile up on the mostly unused dining room table and around the edges, you know the corner coffee table or the little ledge of my hutch.  When I clean for guests, I notice all these little things that just ended up somewhere and never got put away and then I wonder how I didn't even really notice.  THis is why I try to have people over fairly often because it ensure I do the proper cleaning.

I clean my kitchen about daily but in the middle of the day, there might easily be a few dishes scattered around that haven't made it to the sink yet, let alone the dishwasher.  But I really clean the kitchen -all dishes clean and put away, all counters cleared and wiped down at least every day or two so the mess is never that bad in between.  I do a load of laundry or two every day but I don't always get to folding it so there is usually at least one load of clean laundry in my bedroom that needs attention.  I NEVER mop but do spot clean the kitchen/dining area and wipe the bathroom floors by hand.  I vaccuum about once a week and clean the bathrooms the same. 

A few times a month, I usually freak out and go on a cleaning spree - it never takes more than an hour or two to restore order so I guess its not that bad.  I figure, if you can clean/pickup for an hour and get your house looking pretty good - you're in good shape. 

Juvysen likes this.
#30 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM

At certain times of my life my home was not clean at all. Not filthy dirty, but just dusty and unorganized and cluttered. A lot of this was when my dd2 was so sick for the first few years, and then I went to nursing school! Getting back into the routine has been great the last couple of weeks since I'm not in school anymore. I can say that my home is truly clean again. I just have to stick with the morning routine and it takes about an hour a day. If I get off the routine, which I did on Saturday as we we very busy, the house really fell apart. :-( 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page