Round 2: Weekend Project Accountability! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Last weekend was awesome!  We all got some serious work done and it was nice to have somewhere to come brag/whine.  :)  I can't tell you how happy it makes me to walk through my CLEAN AND ORGANIZED basement every day!  Such a sense of peace!!!

Oddly my schedule is such that DS is with his dad for a second weekend in a row so I'm going to throw my nesting hormones into another project or two!!

So, I'm going to jump in and declare another project or two for this weekend:

1.  My walk-in closet!!  Shudder.  That's where I chuck everything when there are people in my house.  Then my 4 yr old empties it out.  Then I chuck it all back in.  Totally useless at the moment!!!

2.  Assemble and warp my new loom.  It's a crafty project, not a cleaning project but it's nagging me, so I'm declaring it.  Once the project is there, it will get done fairly quickly, but I need to actually get it started.  Preferably more than 3 days before I need it to be done!!! 

3.  Spend an hour or two cutting up giant boxes for recycling.  Most of the clutter in my garage is from recycling too big to just be flattened and thrown in my recycling bin (but the wrong size/shape for moving or shipping boxes).  Time for some quality time with a box cutter. 

Projects anyone wants to declare?  Before/after pics optional.  ;-) 

#2 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have some, but I'll be back to post what they are later. I have to choose which ones I want to get done this weekend. :-)

#3 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in too.

1. Get all laundry put away.
2. Rotate the LO's toys
3. Tackle the playroom with my big girl.
4. Straighten up downstairs.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM

I'm in.

1. Break down washer box for recycle
2. Move big black shelf into another part of the house in order to move fridge into closety thing in the kitchen. There's a flippin built in pantry behind our fridge.
3. Get the christmas tree back to my parents
4. Put together shelf for K's room
5. Put together second shelf for living room (or should it go in the dining room)
6. Put tv on new tv stand

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#5 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 AM

I'm in too. I have only one project, but it's a pretty work-intensive one. I need to finish sewing the curtains for my dd's room. I made one of them back in November and all the fabric and pieces for the other one (it has a lot of appliques) have been sitting on my dining room table since then. I am really tired of looking at that pile. I've been avoiding it for so long because it's just so much work.

#6 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Not so much a laundry theme this time around.  :)  We must have all gotten caught up with the laundry mountains.  (Maybe I should add "put the last two baskets of clean laundry AWAY" to my list.  :P 

#7 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Can I join? I'll have a few hours tomorrow while DD is gone. I called my mom begging her to take DD for a few hours so I can get the house under control.

Main goals:

--get paper recycling into boxes and bags and ready for the curb (junk mail in office, old school papers/art projects in DD's room)

--box up some clothes (mine, DD's) for donation

--Clear clutter off counters/table in kitchen....purge some kitchen items and organize pots/pans so I can find them and they aren't finding homes on the stove top/top of the washer/dryer, etc)

--walk around with a trash bag and pitch all the little trinkets/broken items/junk toys that DD has accumulated

#8 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

I need a major kick in the tush to get everything ready for moving.. I'm really not motivated and its approaching very quickly! Here's my list so far, I think Ill divide it into four parts:

Reds Im going to try to do Saturdays, Blues on Sunday

1) Pack-

finish anything that needs to be washed

vac-pack clothing

pack bags

weigh bags

re-pack bags (it happens every time, I always manage to have one WAY over 50 and one WAY under)

Re weigh them

when everything is good put them up on shelves where the girls can't get to them again

2) Clean for final inspection: Stuff I can do early

Repair holes in walls

Remove all marks from walls

Remove all items from closets/cupboards

Go through and check all light bulbs, replace the ones that are burned out

Clean out Kitchen exhaust fan filter, replace if necessary

Clean out AC units replace filters if needed

Remove all shelf liners and labels

Remove all child proofing items, scrub sticky stuff off of walls

clean inside of cupboards in: Girls room,  master bedroom, playroom, kitchen (what I can), hallway, living room

clean out closets and vacuum/clean runners

Clean off windows and vacuum/clean runners

clean out desk and wipe down

Clean out china hutch and wipe down

wash any remaining laundry

start cleaning out the drawers in the kitchen

go through cleaning cupboard and get rid of anything that we aren't going to be using to clean (ie stain remover, starch, etc)

3) Plan/errands

make hotel reservations

check on airline ticket prices (we don't know exactly when we will be leaving, waiting on the military to give us a flight date)

Make restaurant reservations for special dinner (I'm taking my husband out, he doesn't know it yet)

Take DH's uniform to the alteration place and have them sew on new ranks

grocery shopping (I don't like to go grocery shopping, I put it off to the very last minute but we are out of perishables so it needs to get done)

Order hug-a-hero dolls for the girls so they get them in time

order bracelets for myself and MIL

Go through DH's gear and wash what needs to be washed. Put it all together so he can turn it in Monday

Drop off can goods to send to the evacuee camps.. Luckily I stock up on non-perishables and now I have a good place to send them. These people are going through enough without having to worry about food as well.

Stop by home improvement store and get things needed for move out

Stop by key place and have a copy made of the apartment key

4) Family activities

pick up last minute things we wanted to get from out in town

go do something fun we haven't done before

church on Sunday

Can I add sleep to this list?? That idea sounds better than cleaning and packing this weekend!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Kid-free weekend is rescheduled, but I'm still going to take a run at my list anyway. Might be more interesting with a helper, but we'll see how it goes!
#10 of 32 Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM

Good luck with the 'help' :) I'm about to get started...will check back in later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

Kid-free weekend is rescheduled, but I'm still going to take a run at my list anyway. Might be more interesting with a helper, but we'll see how it goes!

#11 of 32 Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Ok...--

--I filled a large box with paper recycling from DD's room.

--Decluttered her art cubby, dress up box and a few things from her closet and posted all the items on Freecycle.

--Filled trash bag with trinkets and other trash (DD's room, living room)

Trying to keep the momentum going!

#12 of 32 Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Beachbaby...good job!  I was thinking you were totally getting an early jump until I noticed that your child-free time is today.  :)  Hope you get it all done!  Sounds like you've got a running start anyways!!

It will definitely be a little more interesting with a helper, but he's four and pretty independent, so I think I'll be able to get most of it done.  Though, as I find his toys that disappeared into my closet, I suspect he'll have some opinions about what goes where!  :)  And sounds like his dad might take him to the zoo or something for a couple of hours.  We'll see! 

Oh well...one more project on the list (another crafty one):  make some wool Easter eggs to decorate.  We did a dozen last year and I'd like to do another dozen this year.  DS can help me felt them.  Then I'll decorate them gradually.  My weekend is getting ambitious!  :P  (They're solid ones--just for display and hunting...no worries about filling them up!) 

#13 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 02:37 AM

Today is Saturday and its been a total wash for the most part. DS didn't sleep well last night then I woke with a migrane and couldn't get myself going. Did manage to get to the store and pick up a couple of things I needed for packing.. on the way home we stopped to get dinner and our battery died. One jump later (thank you kind stranger who took a break from his job to give us a jump) we are back home but my head is pounding again. Im thinking early bed and try again tomorrow.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#14 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM

I finished the curtain! I was feeling so motivated after hanging them that I also sorted through dd's spring and summer clothes, something I was planning to do next week.

I know everyone likes before and after photos, mine aren't great because all I did was turn a pile of fabric into a curtain, but here goes:

This the pile:

sewing pile.jpg

It *looks* unassuming, but keep in mind that it had been on that table for months, and that it was a clutter magnet for much that time. I often piled stuff on top of it or next to it, figuring, why not, that pile is already there? In fact, shortly before taking this photo, I hemmed a pair of jeans and repaired a tote bag that had been sitting there for a week or so.

And here's the table without the pile: The machine is still there because I'm starting another project tomorrow. (One that will not sit on the table for months, I promise!)

dining room.jpg

Here's the bare window in dd's room, looking very sad:

window without curtains.jpg

And here's the window with the curtains:

curtains-open.jpg

#15 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Oh wow! Those curtains were worth the wait!!! So cute!!!
#16 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 AM

great job, loveeeee the curtains!

#17 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks! I really put everything I had into them. I don't think I'll be undertaking another detailed project like that for a while. I thought that I had taken a picture of them closed, so that you could see them better, but I couldn't find it when I uploaded the files.

#18 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

My helper is making things a little trickier...but we've managed to get the Easter eggs started. Four down, eight to go. Plus the other tasks of course.
#19 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm a little late to join, but my "weekend" doesn't start til Sunday.  Then I have Sunday - Tuesday off.  I don't have any baby-free time during that period, but I'll see what I can get done in between the other things I have planned.

Plans:

Tonight

-I'm dead tired, but I have to get my clothes put away.  I have a seriously escalating laundry situation.

Sunday

- girls afternoon out with my best friend who is here from out-of-town.  Not really productive, but will almost certainly help my mental state!

- clean off dining room table and buffet.  Both are major clutter-catchers, and both are out of control.  I have boxes packed for mailing to a friend that have been there for at least 6 weeks bag.gif

- clean bathroom, including mopping the floor.  Nothing scary here, but still needs to happen.  Will have to be after LO is in bed or while he's napping, otherwise he likes to "help", and I don't like him around the cleaning sprays (we have to use Lime-a-Way.  I tried vinegar, but it wasn't strong enough).

Monday

- vacuum downstairs and upstairs

- dust living room

- milk cows for dairy association

- go on "date" with DH

Tuesday

- clean out car and take donations to Goodwill

- mail packages

- milk cows again

This is going to be a busy set of days off, but I think I can get everything done...  Wish me luck!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#20 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM

I know it is a bit "late", but my "projects" for this  weekend are:  laundry and "spring cleaning" the kitchen. 

#21 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 05:03 PM

Saturday is almost over but I'm going to try to get some things off my list tomorrow- this is such a great idea for a thread!

So, Sunday I shall:

-clean up the kids' art easel so that I can sell it

-put ALL the laundry away

-finish the (ugh) ironing

-finish filing the pile of papers in my office

Happy single mama of Girlchild (10) and Boychild (9).
#22 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM

1. I folded some laundry today, btu it's still downstairs. My dd put her laundry away, so that was about half of it. Still more for tomorrow.
2. Brought down a few new things, but haven't packed up anything.
3. Playroom is FINISHED. I let her get pretty messy in there this time, so it took a while, but we even pulled out furniture and steam mopped the entire floor.
4. I straightened up downstairs, but still have more to go.

While my dd (6YO) was in a good cleaning mood, we tackled her room too. It was getting out of hand as well. I also had a bin of miscellaneous stuff in the hallway and a basket of stuff to be delivered to the right rooms that I tackled today. All in all, a really productive day.

I hurt myself though! I was trying to change my colors in my dining room. I was bringing a chair downstairs and misjudged the corner near the stairs. I rammed the chair into my side and somehow hurt my whole neck/back. I kept moving today because it hurt to stand or sit still. But OUCH! Hopefully I'll be up for doing stuff tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

I'm in too.

1. Get all laundry put away.
2. Rotate the LO's toys
3. Tackle the playroom with my big girl.
4. Straighten up downstairs.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#23 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Okay...  Got the packages addressed and out to the car.  Buffet is cleared off, except for a laptop DH needs to take back to work.  Table is cleared except for items that need to be taken to MIL's today.  I didn't get much of the laundry put away last night, but I'm off to a good start today!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#24 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Ok!  So far so good.  Done my filing, and I'm about to clean up the easel.  Laundry's in progress- but I'm not even going to think about ironing until tonight, it's sooooo nice out today!

Happy single mama of Girlchild (10) and Boychild (9).
#25 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I might not get the big project even started. We've got a touch of a stomach bug. Bleh. Oh well...any progress is good.
#26 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Pulling over my project list:

I'm on week 36 of my 52 week UFO challenge but only on item 22. I'm hoping to get to 25.

Then there's the chalkboard paint to go on top of the magnetic paint (which is only slightly magnetic after 4 or so coats - should I do a couple more)

I was thinking of going to the garden store to get some plantings with Christmas gift money.

I need to get DD signed up for camps! (Big TIME!)

General decluttering and getting rid of stuff.

ooo- maybe cleaning of duplo-sized blocks that got stored in the garage and full of wet.

Electronic Recycling weekend is this weekend, but it requires DH cooperation to identify what needs to go.

moving furniture around - sewing table out of baby's bedroom; rocker INTO baby's bedroom; chair and half-into living room (pull-out sleeper - requires DH help) and then moving sewing table INTO family room.

none of that got done BUT -

Cleaned up more of the backyard. 

Photographed a swing for sale. 

decluttered about a dozen items.

sent DH to pick up free brand new dishwasher. Now sitting in my car in lieu of car seats and god knows when it will get installed. 

Have made great progress on camps. I actually did some of that last weekend, so I guess it counts. 

I've got about 4 weeks covered out of 12 (well maybe 10 if we take vacation). 

The duplo blocks are out of the garage, but nothing has happened with them.

DD's room got pretty picked up after the throwing up but she trashed it again before going to a sleepover yesterday. Did not see that or I would have supervised the cleaning. Now she is too ornery after getting so little sleep to do anything! 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#27 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:

2.  Assemble and warp my new loom.  It's a crafty project, not a cleaning project but it's nagging me, so I'm declaring it.  Once the project is there, it will get done fairly quickly, but I need to actually get it started.  Preferably more than 3 days before I need it to be done!!! 

I have warp in chains for weeks. Not sure when the rigid heddle will get warped though. I need some serious kid-free time for that to happen and it aint in the future before easter. 

Next week DD and I are camping with Girl Scouts and I will therefore be on kid duty all day sunday when I get back. (That and I hired a babysitter for DH for 2 hours so he can get a break. God forbid that be my weekend!) 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#28 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

I have warp in chains for weeks. Not sure when the rigid heddle will get warped though. I need some serious kid-free time for that to happen and it aint in the future before easter. 

Next week DD and I are camping with Girl Scouts and I will therefore be on kid duty all day sunday when I get back. (That and I hired a babysitter for DH for 2 hours so he can get a break. God forbid that be my weekend!) 

That's way more work than mine! I've just got a card weaving loom. My old one is too short.

I officially only got one thing done. But it's supposed to be rescheduled kid weekend next, so there's still hope.
#29 of 32 Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

That's way more work than mine! I've just got a card weaving loom. My old one is too short.

I officially only got one thing done. But it's supposed to be rescheduled kid weekend next, so there's still hope.

:(  It is not rescheduled no-kid weekend next weekend.  But hopefully DS and I will both be feeling healthy.  (Strep!  Super fun!)  Oh well.  I'll survive.  Plus, as my 3rd trimester luxury, I've scheduled extra visits from the cleaning lady.  Hopefully if we can keep the house reasonably neat, I can divert the extra energy to the nagging projects.  It could happen!  (Would also help if I stayed up past 8:30.  :P)

Glad everyone got things done!!  Good job!

#30 of 32 Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM

So here's what I set out to accomplish:

- get my clothes put away.  I have a seriously escalating laundry situation.

- girls afternoon out with my best friend who is here from out-of-town.  Not really productive, but will almost certainly help my mental state!

- clean off dining room table and buffet.  Both are major clutter-catchers, and both are out of control.  I have boxes packed for mailing to a friend that have been there for at least 6 weeks bag.gif

- clean bathroom, including mopping the floor.  Nothing scary here, but still needs to happen.  Will have to be after LO is in bed or while he's napping, otherwise he likes to "help", and I don't like him around the cleaning sprays (we have to use Lime-a-Way.  I tried vinegar, but it wasn't strong enough).

- vacuum downstairs and upstairs

- dust living room

- milk cows for dairy association

- go on "date" with DH

- clean out car and take donations to Goodwill

- mail packages

- milk cows again

I did manage to get the dining room table and buffet cleaned up, as well as all the laundry.  I cleaned out one kitchen cabinet, and trashed/donated a few things.  I vacuumed downstairs, took my donations to Goodwill, and mailed the packages.  I made it down for one day of milking.  And then I got the flu.  It was bad enough that I came home sick again from work yesterday after laying in bed for a day and a half.  So, even though I didn't get it all done, I do have an excuse (and a doctor's note if necessary!).

My next days off are next Tuesday thru Thursday.  We'll see what happens then.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page