De-cluttering DVDs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't have a ton, but I don't honestly know why we have them at all. We watch everything on Netflix and haven't touched a movie we own outside of kids DVDs for ages. DH is still not into getting rid of them, but he's okay with ripping them all to the computer and then getting rid of them. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there any downsides? We're not trying to make money here, just not keep the physical DVDs. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM

I don't have any advice - we have the same prblem, along with music cd's.  wE have talked about putting everything on the computer, but what if something happens to the computer?  Even with the back up drive?  I wonder if there is a place to store them out on the web inexpensively?  I agree, though, they take up way too much room.

#3 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

We've already done the same thing with our CDs. Even with those he still keeps a lot of them though. I'm not entirely sure why. 

As for what if something happens, just get an external hard drive and back it up. Anything that would happen to both of the harddrives (e.g. a house fire) would destroy the CDs themselves too. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With music CD's we put them in one of those books that holds like 400 cd's. We put the paper album cover next to each one, and alphabetized it, leaving room for growth.  Then got rid of the jewel cases.  I like to keep cd's since you can listen over and over.  (However, now with ipods we hardly use the discs).

We have lots of movies that we should get rid of.  I would think they would take up too much space on the computer, though.  Maybe you could make an agreement with your DH to get rid of half of them.  Then in a year, get rid of any that you haven't watched in that time.

Good luck!

#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Actually since we have a large external hard drive, I think that we'd be fine storage-wise. DH is also okay with getting rid of them if we put them onto the computer first. I just don't know if people have had any issues that I can't think of with storing them that way. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page