Guilty feelings..thinking of throwing away a gift! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two years ago my SIL gave my son a game which I think was fairly expensive, I looked up the price and it retails at around fifty dollars.  She did ask me once if he plays with it, and I answered yes.....Sheepish.gif  I felt bad for not telling the truth, but I figured he would soon play with it, making it true?

The truth is he is not interested, I asked him again today and he said he doesn't want to play it, and so I am keen to offload this large game to somewhere, anywhere!..either sell it or give it away not sure yet.

Or should I stash it under the house just in case she asks about it, so I won't have to lie then that we still have it.

Or maybe I can pretend it got played with so much that it broke!!  err......no that won't work, because that is lying which I don't like to do....

There seems to be no way out of decluttering gifts without having to feel bad.  eyesroll.gif

What would you do? Keep it in case she mentions it, or just get rid of it?

SAHM to three
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

2 years ..... wow, certainly your DS tastes and likes have changed in that time. (he was 8 then, 10 now right??)   SIL can not expect your child to play with something for the next 50 years can she?  I dont remember what my son recieved as presents 2 years ago, I dont remember what I gave as presents 2 years ago... SIL needs to obsess over something else LOL.

Pass that toy on to a child who will benefit from it and get it out of your home.  If you have a kiddie resale shoppe in your area maybe you can get a few dollars for it or just send it to goodwill.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 AM

Can you say that he has enjoyed it and wants to pass it along? Could you pass it along to your SIL for her kids? Or ask her if she has someone to pass it along to?

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#4 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post

Can you say that he has enjoyed it and wants to pass it along? Could you pass it along to your SIL for her kids? Or ask her if she has someone to pass it along to?

This is what I'd do.  I'd get rid of it if he's not playing with it, and then if she asks tell her that he got his use out of it and wanted to pass it along to someone else who would use it :)

#5 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

2 years ..... wow, certainly your DS tastes and likes have changed in that time. (he was 8 then, 10 now right??) 

My son has just turned 9 in February, so he was 7 when he got the game. It is a board game, for 7 to adults, so not necessarily something you grow out of, as adults can play with it too.

Regarding giving it back to SIL, I can't do that as it would just show her that he has not played with it, as it is still brand new!  Plus I think she would consider it a bit of a slap in the face to return her gift.

Still undecided on this particular item, so I will just store it in the 'not sure what to do with' section under the house! winky.gif

SAHM to three
#6 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

I'd just give it away and not think about it.Two years is a pretty long time to still be asking about the game even if adults can play it too

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

I have been trying to work out why this is such an issue for me, and was psychoanalysing myself, lol......and I realised that it stems from being intimidated by my SIL. It's a bit of a fear of her that makes me nervous about getting rid of the game, and so when I realised that it is that, and only that which motivates me to keep the game, I have decided to get rid of it after all!

I feel so free all of a sudden!! biggrinbounce.gif

Juvysen likes this.

SAHM to three
#8 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Awesome! Get rid of it! Get rid of it! What's the worst that could happen? She could ask you what happened to it and you could inform her, "Oh, we donated it." lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

I have been trying to work out why this is such an issue for me, and was psychoanalysing myself, lol......and I realised that it stems from being intimidated by my SIL. It's a bit of a fear of her that makes me nervous about getting rid of the game, and so when I realised that it is that, and only that which motivates me to keep the game, I have decided to get rid of it after all!

I feel so free all of a sudden!! biggrinbounce.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page