Toys and moving....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are moving in 2-3 months and we are currently getting our house ready to sell.  As a part of that, I need to figure out what to do with my 3.5 year old's toys.  I am doing some massive decluttering :)  It feels good!

Right now, I have a ton of small pieces scattered everywhere and it is quite annoying.  When we are having people come through, I don't want people tripping over a rogue car or lego piece and hurting themselves.  Especially if I get a call and they are going to be over in 10 minutes and I got to get a 3 month old and 3 year old out of the house quickly (and clean up the small pieces).  So I would like to figure out toys that can be fun, but put away quickly if need be. 

I am thinking the play kitchen is going to need to go into storage (we are putting non-necessary items on storage).  I am secretly hoping we like things so much without the stuff that the majority ends up being donated.

If possible, I would like for these toys to travel with us to Fort Worth and stay with us in the hotel room we will be in until we find and close on another house.  So, I need ideas for another 4-6 months. 

I also need some ideas for my 3.5 month old.  I was thinking a teething rattle, some soft blocks, playsilks, Sophie the Giraffe, and maybe 1 or 2 more things.  But he is easy....

Thoughts?  I am willing to buy new stuff if the novelty would keep DS1 out of my stuff.  Right now, he loves to take all the boxes, laundry and what not and pile it on our small couch and "drive" the garbage truck around.  Cute, but annoying while I am trying to keep the house looking good.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#2 of 4 Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Good luck on the sale and move!  I have a 13 month old, with mass quanitites of toys building up, and want to declutter too before a move this summer.  I am learning that kids really dont need many toys...they are perfectly happy with stuff you already have.  Right now, DS is happily playing with a box of wipes, while his toys are nearby and untouched!  I suggest a similar version to what we plan to do to declutter his room--limit yourself to a set storage, like 2 small tubs, or a bookcase, and only keep toys that fit there.  I was recently told to make two piles, one of definitely keep, and another you feel so-so about.  Then just get rid of the so-so pile.  I am going to try that on DS's stuff today!  He has two small bookshelves that are side by side in his room, and I am going to limit all toys to what will fit on there (we put baskets/soft bins on the shelves to hold the little stuff). 

Rockstar, hippie, pirate mama to W (3-2-10), wifey to S for 2 years and going strong

selectivevax.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  treehugger.gif

http://piratelady2525.blogspot.com/
#3 of 4 Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM

We are putting our house up for sale as well & have a place we are making an offer on. The house will be smaller but it'll be on 3 acres and have a big shop/garage. My kids are 3, 1.5 & I'm 5 weeks pregnant! I'm not sure how we'll do all this, keeping our place spotless to sell, but trust it'll work out. Were decluttering toys too. We put a couple of bins of them in a spare room to see how the kids do without them. Some I can see are worth giving away, some we'll store in bins and only take out for playtime, then store away after. Duplo, blocks, etc end up being tossed all over the house, which drives me insane, so they wont be left out. I think the less you have out the less to pick up throughout the day. The toy kitchen & picnic table will go in the garage while we show. I'll keep those since the kids love
them & they can be played with outside if they don't fit in the new house. The sit on piano is too big for the new place so is getting freecycled today. Extra unloved stuffies are getting given away. Annoying battery toys I don't like are too. We had lots of stuffies as gifts so put a bunch aside, leaving 2 dollies & 2 ferries out. Well probably give the others away or store the favorites to pull out later to replace lost/ broken ones. 4 out for 2 kids is plenty or they just get tossed around & not even really played with.

Were going to put the 3 yr olds toys in an under the bed bin & they'll live
There when not played with. Well probably have a bin in the main area to toss all in use toys in before showing & just stash it somewhere for that time

It sounds like you won't need much for the baby. They are so happy with non-toys like a water bottle, keys, a belt, and other things you always have on you. Hmm.. I'm having trouble remembering your questions & am not sure I answered any. Must be pregnancy brain! smile.gif
#4 of 4 Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Teddies, not ferries smile.gif
Oh, and looking at houses (for comparisons) yesterday really showed me that it's not good to have toys visible, except maybe in a playroom, while showing. It is too cluttered looking and distracts the buyer from the house. I'll be keeping ours hidden while showing. well play outside, go to friends, ikea, malls, etc a lot while showing so they get lots of playtime without making a mess of the house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page