Can I just chuck it all? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our front room is a mess. I can't catch up and organize, and the thought of decluttering is stressful because of the notion that I should sort things for garage sale, donation, etc. I have my doubts about getting my act together to HAVE a garage sale, and we haven't got a working vehicle so how to donate? We can't even recycle our electronics because the only place to recycle them requires you to bring them the stuff.

Can I just throw it all away? Environmental-minded guilt rears its head. Yet I'm sick of living with the mess because of feeling guilty about throwing stuff away!

Help!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#2 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would say, yes, absolutely, chuck it.

Yes, someone could use it. Yes, it will fill landfill space. Yes, there is a theoretically perfect way to declutter. And how many more years are you required to be miserable before you accept that perfection isn't going to happen?

Chuck it. If you feel evil, get into the evil. Buy a black hat. Laugh an evil laugh.

And you can resolve that when your house is in order, you'll use the time and space that you've won to slowly incorporate recycling or other environmentally healthy routines into your household. But right now? Grab those garbage bags.

Crayfish

#3 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yes, you can throw it all away!

Or, if it's really worth donating, you could a thrift store or other organization to come pick it up.  Just pack it all into garbage bags or boxes if you can get them.

The electronics would be the one thing I would try to organize recycling for, even if it meant getting help from a friend with a car or something.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#4 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post

Chuck it. If you feel evil, get into the evil. Buy a black hat. Laugh an evil laugh.

Crayfish

LOVED this. Made me LOL! smile.gif

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post

Crayfish

LOVED this. Made me LOL! smile.gif

Me too! ROTFLMAO.gif

SAHM to three
#6 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

Can I just throw it all away? Environmental-minded guilt rears its head. Yet I'm sick of living with the mess because of feeling guilty about throwing stuff away!

Help!

If things are out of control, grant yourself amnesty against having to sort things properly.

You can't save the world if you are drowning in clutter....so save yourself first! 

SAHM to three
#7 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM

For the electronics, put them outside in an open box on the curb one day before trash pickup.  Someone will take them.  We've done it with old, non-working computers and such.  I'd love to take them to our recycling center, but I can never find the time.

And yes, if all else fails, just chuck it.  You can only do so much.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#8 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Throw it out, throw it all out! I admit to also doing this on occasion.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lady.gif
#9 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM

I'm coming from the perspective of being a major environmentalist.

Chuck it.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#10 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM

of course you can chuck it!  but what will that cost?  it might be cheaper to have a junk hauler come take it all for $50 (or possibly for free) since very little of it is actual trash.  or you can try getting rid of it all for free by posting a craigslist curb alert.  you can even say "must take all" in the ad, but of course you're not really going to enforce that.

#11 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Just make sure that you are not throwing out anyones birth certificate or any checks.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#12 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Yeah this. There are some thrift organizations that do weekly pickups for donated items. You could call around and see if they can pick it up. We used to just leave it on the porch or curb on the planned pick up date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post

Yes, you can throw it all away!

Or, if it's really worth donating, you could a thrift store or other organization to come pick it up.  Just pack it all into garbage bags or boxes if you can get them.

The electronics would be the one thing I would try to organize recycling for, even if it meant getting help from a friend with a car or something.

#13 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Yes chuck it all.... our area has 'big item pick up' and if you time it right you can just haul it all to the curb (assuming you have a house and not an apt) and the city will pick it all up for you.  Now if you are in an apt, make use of the dumpster.  Thats the one thing I miss about Apt living, the dumpster (how sad is that)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#14 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM

Am I the only one thinking FREECYCLE?! thumb.gif Maybe its not in your area, but if it is I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to come take your junk off your hands. I would just ditch everything that doesn't get any takers if you feel able to...I'm one of those people that finds it really hard to throw anything that could potentially be useful away- I don't mind it gone to someone else, I'm just loathe to throw it in the bin! Not for environmental reasons, I think Im just cheap and can't let go lol.gif

#15 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Am I the only one thinking FREECYCLE?! thumb.gif

Freecycle can be a lot of work, though. Sorting, categorizing, listing, looking through the email responses, responding, arranging a time for pickup, growling when the first person doesn't bother to show up, doing it all again. I realize that the OP mentioned a lack of a working vehicle, but I assume that the time and effort is also a factor.

Now, we have occasionally done Freecycle entries like, "Box of random cables, power supplies and connectors. You must take it all." And I've considered posting, "Garage sale kit - six boxes of random household junk, with the pure trash removed. No details provided; you must take it all." 

But I still say that chucking it all is fine. The main point, IMO, is not to ensure that your existing clutter gets the best possible home. The main point is to get your life in order so that the clutter problem doesn't keep happening in the future. When the house is in order, _then_ you can find a good home for the occasional piece of excess. But the main focus should be on getting it in order.

Edited to add: In my case, I'm lucky enough to live in an area where "end of the driveway with a Free sign" is an accepted way to get rid of stuff. So have the luxury of putting my potential-trash at the end of the driveway for 24 hours, then tossing the remainder in a trashbag with zero guilt. But if I didn't have that luxury, I wouldn't feel obligated to find a more difficult way to find the stuff a home.

doubledutch likes this.
#16 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Oh yeah, no guilt, if she wants to chuck it I say go for it! :) Agreed, freecycle can be work- but since she has a lot I would just post its a free garage sale, stick it all out the front and whatever isn't gone goes in the bin. I'm about to do the same myself! But if OP doesn't want to then I would go for it and throw it out. Your life is more important than your stuff!

#17 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM

I do that quite often. I live in a very tiny town. The nearest thrift store is 45 minutes away and there is no Freecycle anywhere close to my area. I usually list it on Craigslist, put it out on the curb where the garbage goes and if it isn't gone by trash day, the trash guys pick it up.  I am having a major yard sale next month, but at the end of the day I am making whatever is left free for the taking. The rest will go to the curb until gargabe day.

My sanity is more important then all the stuff.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#18 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

i just donated all my stuff last week, so now we have a fresh palate, currently transitioning the living room to a waldorf style playroom.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#19 of 20 Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM

I definitely say let it go! I am having the same problem with my 1 year old's toys! I have a corner for her that is beginning to take over the living room! I would recommend donating it to a local church, consignment store, Goodwill, Salvation Army or even find a local charity that is doing work, say maybe for Japan and dontate it there.

It can feel cumbersome, but try to think of all the children that don't have any toys smile.gif Maybe even the girl scouts...I got a bunch of stuffed animals from them when I was a child in the hospital. With that said, maybe local hospitals smile.gif I hope this helps! Good luck smile.gif
#20 of 20 Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM

You could invite friends & family over for a free-for-all... Have a potluck or just put out some snacks and let them all dive in & sort through & take whatever they want or take things with them to donate... and then whatever's left, toss it all...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page