Freshening the air - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you do to help your house smell nice and fresh?  The weather is getting warm enough now that I can open the windows and that helps some, but there are still times it feels stuffy/not as fresh and clean as I like.  

I have two sick kids along with a couple cats and dogs.  I am good at tidying up and cleaning, but I want something to help keep everything smelling consistently nice without having to resort to febreze or other chemical coverups. 

#2 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm a fan of soy candles but they are not always convenient so I'll be watching this thread for ideas!

I do clean with vinegar solutions and I sometimes add in some essential oils with scents I like (citrusy smells for the kitchen, sweeter or floral scents for the living areas/bathrooms). But that smell doesn't hang for long.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#3 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM

i sprinkle baking soda in the bottoms of trash cans and hampers, which i think helps.  if you feel like there's a particularly non-fresh item, like a couch, mattress or rug, where you would be tempted to spray febreeze, you can either sprinkle it with baking soda and vacuum it up later, or spray it with diluted white vinegar (with an essential oil added to it if you want).  vinegar doesn't smell good, but that smell dissipates and helps get rid of the musty smell or whatever.

eta: also watching for more/better ideas!  :)  my basement, especially, does not smell good because it's damp . . . i don't always remember to run the dehumidifier, and sometimes i resort to cleaning with bleach because i get freaked out about mold.  i don't even know if that's effective.

#4 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 PM

I had to have a room in my house professionally cleaned from mold and they told me that bleach actually releases more mold spores into the air causing people to get sick and causing the mold to spread.

I also use vinegar and baking soda in my garbage cans and floors. I will be watching for more ideas!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#5 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Bioclean, the makers of BacOut, make a fabric spray that we love. The smell doesn't last more than a day-ish, but it's nice to have when we're expecting company or there's a gross mess.

doubledutch likes this.
#6 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacefulSeams View Post

I had to have a room in my house professionally cleaned from mold and they told me that bleach actually releases more mold spores into the air causing people to get sick and causing the mold to spread.

oh, fantastico . . .   i googled it, and it looks like borax is my friend for mold prevention (which is great because i totally already have it!).  thanks for the info!

#7 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Really?  AWESOME!  Biokleen is available locally so I'll see if they have the spray too!  Two doggies, a toddler, a MAN ('nuff said, lol), and me all in a small apartment don't make for super fresh smells.  I've had to use lysol febrezey stuff lately just because I can't take it.  YAY YAY YAY! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by July09Mama View Post

Bioclean, the makers of BacOut, make a fabric spray that we love. The smell doesn't last more than a day-ish, but it's nice to have when we're expecting company or there's a gross mess.

#8 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM

we use whole wood charcoal to rid the house of dampness and odors. under the stairs on our first floor we sometimes get water in during heavy rain (it's a slab on granite). so rather than use a chemical or spray we use the charcoal. open windows, simmer herbs, and burn sage. 

#9 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM

I mix 8-10 drops of lavendar essential oil, or whatever your preference, with water and spray into the air. The perfume doesn't last long, but it seems to clear the air of bad odors.

I also love to use throw rugs that I can wash often or air out in the sun.

My mom likes to set small jars of ammonia about to freshen the air. (I personally don't do this because of small children)

I love to boil a potpourri of spices on the stove.

Tea tree oil and water works fabulously to wipe down a bathroom and smells fantastic.

#10 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas.  I'll have to look into that spray because I have been turning to the chemically stuff lately as well.  I know it's not ideal, but I like it smelling happy and flowery.  I know it's silly.  I had used vinegar to do my floors previously, and it worked ok,  and it left things deodorized (after the pickled floor effect dried anyway)  but it didn't really leave that nice lingering freshness I associate with clen.  this may be more about changing my thught process than anything else. 

#11 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM

I take some lavender essential oil and mix it with water in a spray bottle. Shake it and spray on rugs, etc. So fresh and clean and relaxing for the kiddos. There are also some pretty cool ones already made at stores like Sunflower, Whole foods, etc.I also like cleaning with vinegar and baking soda and my new fave vodka-seriously, it works!

#12 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM

I open the windows, turn on the fans and clean with water and vinegar and Dr. Bronner's lavender soap. I also take out the trash numerous times a day. I couldn't believe what a huge difference this one thing makes.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#13 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Another idea is boiling vinegar and cinnamon on the stove.  (or replace cinnamon with something else that smells good - I know some people use a couple drops of vanilla). 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Another idea is boiling vinegar and cinnamon on the stove.  (or replace cinnamon with something else that smells good - I know some people use a couple drops of vanilla). 

thats what we did when we put our house on the market. Fill a pot with water, add a sliced an apple, a stick of cinnamon, some cloves and let simmer on the back of the stove. If you have a wood burning stove put on top of that.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#15 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

thats what we did when we put our house on the market. Fill a pot with water, add a sliced an apple, a stick of cinnamon, some cloves and let simmer on the back of the stove. If you have a wood burning stove put on top of that.

I bet it smells really good with an apple and cloves!

And I meant to say water and cinnamon - I do add a splash of vinegar b/c it seems to help it steam up through the house.  I'll have to try it the way you make it. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

I open the windows, turn on the fans and clean with water and vinegar and Dr. Bronner's lavender soap. I also take out the trash numerous times a day. I couldn't believe what a huge difference this one thing makes.

I wonder  if that might not be part of it.  I tend to take it out when it is full.  Not sinky, but not fresh either.

#17 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I wonder  if that might not be part of it.  I tend to take it out when it is full.  Not sinky, but not fresh either.

nod.gif I used to do that too. Now I only use tiny garbage bags and empty them often. You'll save money on the large kitchen bags too because you won't need them. Also try scooping your litter box daily. I know it's a pain, but you get used to it and it makes a big difference.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#18 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM

I like peppermint in my vinegar/water spray. Another trick is to cut up a lemon or orange right before guests come. I love the cinnamon, apple etc. on the stove trick.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#19 of 23 Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Ohh I love the essential oil idea.  I clean with vingar/water and DH complains that it smells like easter eggs.  Plus he hates the smell of fabreez or other. In the winter time I like to save my apple skins and orange rinds.  I put them on a lined or old cookie sheet with some water and a sprinkle of cinnamon and let it sit in the oven really low.   I personally like to do the apple b/c it smells like apple pie!!!  And it gets DH everytime.   ;)   he thinks I made apple pie.   

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#20 of 23 Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM

I like to clean with Mrs. Meyers geranium all purpose cleaner and open the windows. I won't burn candles because I get nervous with the open flame, but I will turn on a wax warmer and let that get the house smelling nice. I also like to use a lot of baking soda when I clean. I feel like that freshens things. Make sure to clean under the fridge. I have found old stinky smelling spills under there I didn't even know I had spilled anything. Also my microwave tends to hold food odors. I clean that a lot. And my sink. We don't have a disposal and I feel like food gets cought in the pipes. So a good vinegar baking soda treatment helps there too..

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#21 of 23 Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie43 View Post

I like to clean with Mrs. Meyers geranium all purpose cleaner and open the windows.

Love Mrs. Meyers geranium scent. I think it smells like I would imagine that June Cleaver's house smells like. The countertop spray really makes the house smell nice smile.gif

love.gif

#22 of 23 Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM

knoodleknits, can you say more about the charcoal?  I'm a fan of natural wood charcoal in my garden, but I've never used it for odor/dampness removal.  Do you just set it out and it absorbs stuff?  Do you use the stuff you buy in bags at the natural foods store?  How much, etc?  I'm curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoodleknits View Post

we use whole wood charcoal to rid the house of dampness and odors. under the stairs on our first floor we sometimes get water in during heavy rain (it's a slab on granite). so rather than use a chemical or spray we use the charcoal. open windows, simmer herbs, and burn sage. 

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#23 of 23 Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM

I like to simmer a pot of water with either orange peel or a bit of apple with cinnamon.  Mmmmmmm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page