Weekend Project Accountability!! (Ongoing) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

The weekend project threads were a hit and there's been a request to create an ongoing thread.  Happy to oblige! 

Basic idea:  come post what you want to get done this weekend.  If you feel like it, before and after pics are fun!  Use the thread as a place to brag and whine as you work through your list.  And that's really it!  :)  It can be as big or small as you want.  Especially handy for those annoying "I'll do it as soon as...." kind of projects. 

So...to kick it off...my kid-free weekend project list...

1.  Attempt 2 at my closet.  (Last time bombed when we got sick.)

2.  Get felt food cut out and started for niece's b-day party next weekend.  (That deadline snuck up!!)

3.  PUT AWAY THE LAUNDRY.

4.  Clear off dining room table.

5.  Nap.  At least twice.  :)

#2 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks so much for starting this ongoing thread! 

I just have (at this point) one major weekend project. I need to sort through DS's toys and pack half of them away for regular rotation.We've only bought a few toys, but we've been given so many that they've seriously taken over our small home.

#3 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to join and I need to join this initiative! My weekend list:

1. Actually get the things I purged from the bathroom closet out of the house.

2. Put the things we reorganized back into the closet so we can use that bathroom.

3. List five ebay auctions: crib set, slipcovers, lot of shoes, my former office clothes, babyology covers.

4. Plant seed potatoes.

I'd like to get my mushroom spawn in the logs, but that's really pushing it. I can just about start next weekend's list too, paint bathroom (small job), mushroom spawn, plant more seeds, finish bedroom door project, begin headboard project.

#4 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

It's not quite the weekend, so I'm going to change my list.  :)

1.  Attempt 2 at my closet.  (Last time bombed when we got sick.)  Make black-out curtains for DS's room.

2.  Get felt food cut out and started for niece's b-day party next weekend.  (That deadline snuck up!!)

I'm tired and pregnant and don't feel like cleaning my closet.  :P  Maybe another weekend!!  But the curtains are something I've been sitting on for a year!!

#5 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM

I'm changing mine, too, to add to it, as DH pointed out a project he'd like to work on together.

1) Sort through DS's toys and pack half of them away for regular rotation.

2) Clear away all paper clutter in the kitchen. There's a TON of it on the desk.

#6 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Having an ongoing thread is great!

I have a few things I'd like to do this weekend. I also have a sick dd, so we'll see what I get accomplished. Here's the list:

1. Sweep and maybe mop the hallway stairs outside our door. It's supposed to rain all weekend here so I don't know how practical mopping will be, but it will be a huge improvement even if I just sweep.

2. Clean the recycling bins, which are really dirty.

3. Catch up on the ironing.

#7 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Oooh, I like this!

During the weekend I'd like to

-Clean out 2 pantries and get things together to give to food pantry 

-Put together two bags of donations 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM

I have several things that I need to get done this weekend!

1. Finish my report for my child development class

2.start my family history report

3.finish all my work that's due for my online classes

4.clean out the crap that has been living in my bedroom

5."spring clean" the kitchen

6. do my laundry (all of it!)

7.Look for an inexpensive washer and dryer so I don't have to spend money at the laundromat

8.re-organize the bookshelves

9.go thru my clothes and declutter them

10.declutter the shoe cart

those are just little things since hte weather has been s crappy this week. Maybe next weekend will be sunny and I can do my larger item things.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#9 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 01:55 AM

Holy moly how did I forget this one? File my taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeeeee!

#10 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 06:01 AM

This is my weekend -

We MUST:

Move sleeper chair to living room (need to clear space). Moving out of family room so we can...

move sewing machine and sewing table to family room (from baby's room). 

this leaves room for the plaster to work on baby's room. He's coming Monday so everything must get moved. 

Make Roth IRA investments (DH)

install dishwasher (supposed to be DH. It's currently sitting in the dining room. DH isn't good at that sort of thing and has never done it before!)

Whatever clean-up can happen because we are having a big party next weekend. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#11 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 AM

My weekend is already over; yesterday was my "Monday"...  But I got a TON done on my days off, so I'm going to brag!

1. cleaned out and detailed nasty spare car from work.  Eew.
  2. cleaned out and detailed our personal car
  3. planted 50 baby onion plants that had been in the fridge for 2 weeks.
  4. raked out treeline and removed crazy vines and out-of-control wild raspberry canes (we have more raspberries in a better spot).  I have battle scars from the thorns...
  5. totally decluttered the dining room. Again.  But the table is now completely empty!  Yay!
  6. decluttered DS's toys
  7. Washed and put away laundry.  All of it.  My spare room is now laundry-free and looks SO much nicer!  joy.gif
  8. Partially decluttered the kitchen.  Still a work in progress, as we have a bit of junk on top of the microwave.
  9. Scrubbed our cheap old bathtub and surround.  No more hard water marks or soap scum!
  10. Vacuumed the upstairs.  I don't do this as often as I'd like since someone is always sleeping up there in the mornings when I'm home.
  11. DH picked up the basement.  It's still his awful man-cave, but it's not quite as awful anymore...!

One of these days I'll take some pics to show my progress...

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#12 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Yay! DH and I finished both our projects! We now have a desk that we can see. :-) AND we packed away over half of DS's toys, so now they get played with, without overwhelming DS and overtaking our home. We also packed away the pack n play, which served as nothing more than a giant toy box.bag.gif DS now has access to his puzzles and board books.

#13 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM

1. Finish my report for my child development class

2.start my family history report

3.finish all my work that's due for my online classes

4.clean out the crap that has been living in my bedroom

5."spring clean" the kitchen

6. do my laundry (all of it!)

7.Look for an inexpensive washer and dryer so I don't have to spend money at the laundromat

8.re-organize the bookshelves

9.go thru my clothes and declutter them

10.declutter the shoe cart

11. finish up school blog posts

Yay!!! got my major paper done! Now to finish all that other homework.. yeck.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#14 of 32 Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Progress report...felt food cut out and sewn as much as possible. The rest requires embroidery.

Napped all day yesterday so I think that one's covered!

Figured out yardage for the last bits I need for curtains. And already got the hardware on Friday. I'm off to the fabric store as soon as I hop through the shower.

Better progress than last weekend anyway!
#15 of 32 Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm so glad I had such a short list because I haven't been feeling well this weekend. Yesterday I got nothing done. This morning I tackled the ironing and while I was doing that, I remembered that I had to color my hair too. So I did that and washed the bins while I was waiting for the color to set. I swept the hallway and stairs after lunch, but by then I was feeling a bit worn out so I decided not to mop. This evening I printed out and assembled a pattern for an upcoming sewing project, that was a nice bonus.

#16 of 32 Old 04-17-2011, 01:10 PM

I had a very short list this weekend because we mostly relaxed.  However we did:

1. Buy and set up shelves for DH's office.  He had boxes and crap all over the floor.  MUCH better.

2. Bought the tape and sand paper I need to get started on my next painting project.

3. Organized my stash of tea.  It has seriously been bugging me for like 2 years.  LOL.

4. Bought and set up a weather radio.

I've also managed to keep the kitchen clean AND do laundry instead of letting it all pile up and make my Monday extra sucky.

#17 of 32 Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

1.  Make black-out curtains for DS's room. 

DONE!  And turned out pretty cute I think!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/30975615@N08/5629575394/  And they block lots of light so I'm really glad I took the time to line them!  Horse boy approves.  They're not quite black-out, but we've already got blinds.  It is remarkable how much light they block at bedtime though!!!

DONE...and got a lot further than I'd planned.  It went quickly once I got rolling.  And it was a good lazy project once I got the the hand-work part.  Niece wll enjoy them.  :) 

Um...yeah, about that...:P  It's only two baskets.  We'll live. 

Dining table?!  What dining table??

DONE!  With zeal.  I feel accomplished!!

Guess I was due for a lazy weekend since I was incapable of doing the non-fun projects.  But I did notice that after lounging and reading all day Saturday, I felt much more productive on Sunday.  Must have needed it.  And then DS came home a few hours earlier than expected. 

#18 of 32 Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM

I LOVE the curtains! Good job getting the rest. It's what I plan to do today. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

1.  Make black-out curtains for DS's room. 

DONE!  And turned out pretty cute I think!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/30975615@N08/5629575394/  And they block lots of light so I'm really glad I took the time to line them!  Horse boy approves.  They're not quite black-out, but we've already got blinds.  It is remarkable how much light they block at bedtime though!!!

DONE...and got a lot further than I'd planned.  It went quickly once I got rolling.  And it was a good lazy project once I got the the hand-work part.  Niece wll enjoy them.  :) 

Um...yeah, about that...:P  It's only two baskets.  We'll live. 

Dining table?!  What dining table??

DONE!  With zeal.  I feal accomplished!!

Guess I was due for a lazy weekend since I was incapable of doing the non-fun projects.  But I did notice that after lounging and reading all day Saturday, I felt much more productive on Sunday.  Must have needed it.  And then DS came home a few hours earlier than expected. 

#19 of 32 Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

This is my weekend -

We MUST:

Move sleeper chair to living room (need to clear space). Moving out of family room so we can...

move sewing machine and sewing table to family room (from baby's room). 

this leaves room for the plaster to work on baby's room. He's coming Monday so everything must get moved. 

Make Roth IRA investments (DH)

install dishwasher (supposed to be DH. It's currently sitting in the dining room. DH isn't good at that sort of thing and has never done it before!)

Whatever clean-up can happen because we are having a big party next weekend. 

I paid furniture movers $20 for like 10 minutes worth of work to move the sleeper chair from one room to an adjacent room. They were delivering across the street and this way DH wouldn't complain. Not how I wanted to spend my money, but whatever.

DH TRIED to move the sewing table himself - slamming it down the stairs and broke off a hinge. Nice job - I'm really, really mad about that. I tried to help but he just kept slamming it down one stair at time before I was ready.

DH made the investments.

Dishwasher not installed, but I did clean-up behind the couch - a LOT. I'll have some pics later. It was ant infested back there. I'm really happy with the living room with the extra chair and really happy with the extra space in the family room. Plasterers arrived today to fix gaping holes in roof and wall! Happy day.

#20 of 32 Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM

This weekend I plan on:

1. Keeping the dishes from piling up on the counters

2. Fold and put away all the clean laundry, sort out too small/winter items for donation while folding

3. Vacuum living room, stairs, and downstairs hallway

4. Mop kitchen, hallway, and bathroom

5. Go to drum circle on Saturday night and have fun

6. Dance around the Maypole on a sandy beach with my friends and family on Sunday

7. Collect driftwood for use as curtain rods in my living room and bathroom and as decorative pieces in my gardens

8. Enjoy a wonderful weekend with my family and friends!

I hope I've got it in me to do all of my list....maybe I should start chipping away at it now.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#21 of 32 Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM

Joining in!  Typically we use our Chalkboard wall to track projects, unfortunately we clean it off every Saturday to make a new game plan so I'm sure things get dropped off in the process. 

I'll be back on Saturday with a list...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#22 of 32 Old 04-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Plan for Sunday - 

It's OK if I only do 1 or 2 things. All three would be amazing! 

Clean-up DDs room

Plant tomato plants

Clean-out inbox.

#23 of 32 Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Good luck to those of you who are working on projects this weekend. I'm feeling under the weather, so I'm not going to push myself. But I should be back to this thread next weekend. :-)

#24 of 32 Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM

1. Keeping the dishes from piling up on the counters

2. Fold and put away all the clean laundry, sort out too small/winter items for donation while folding

3. Vacuum living room, stairs, and downstairs hallway

4. Mop kitchen, hallway, and bathroom

5. Go to drum circle on Saturday night and have fun

6. Dance around the Maypole on a sandy beach with my friends and family on Sunday

7. Collect driftwood for use as curtain rods in my living room and bathroom and as decorative pieces in my gardens

8. Enjoy a wonderful weekend with my family and friends 

DIshes didn't get done, vacuuming had to wait and there was no room in our car for any driftwood. Drat...

However, this weekend I plan on:

1. Do laundry (fold, put away, etc.)

2. Vacuum downstairs hallway and stairs

3. Go to Grove on Sunday

4. Plant my seedlings, seeds, and trees that I ordered

5. Rest and relax with my DH, lemonade in hand, on the hammock in the backyard...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#25 of 32 Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm up for another go at a to-do list!  It's kid-free weekend again!  And baby day is looming, so I need to get a move on!!  (I also seem to have caught a 3rd trimester second wind...the first couple of weeks knocked me out, but I'm feeling good again!)

Ok...this weekend:

1.  Fill up the car with cardboard and bring it over to the recycling center.  (Why I didn't think of that months ago, I really couldn't say.  So much simpler than cutting it all up to fit in my recycling bin!!!)

2.  Clear off dining room table.

3.  Put Easter project materials away.

4.  Pretend it's cleaning lady week and give the house a once-over pick-up.

5.  Laundry--preferably put it away once it's clean!!

6.  Hair color appt!  :) 

#26 of 32 Old 05-07-2011, 06:25 AM

I didn't end up coming back last weekend and then my magical to-do on our kitchen wall got erased. 

So far this weekend here are the plans:

1. Go to the local (& open) Farmer's Market to get some seedlings for the garden and some greens
  2. Go to the Grocery Store/Target/HFS and finish monthly shopping 
  3. Go to HD/Lowes and rent a tiller and grab more top soil and hummus for the garden
  4. Go to the city dump and load up car with compost
  5. Turnover garden & backyard flower beds (add soil & hummus & compost)
  6. Set up veggie garden (set up rows, stepping stones & seedling pots for items not going in right now)
  7. Finish some reviews for work
  8. Begin Final paper for master's class (due in 2 weeks)
  9. Clean the bathrooms
  10. Sweep the house
  11. Start batches of speghetti sauce (I make huge batches & then can it)
  12. Put pictures into Frames and start hanging them up around the house

Wow - looking at this list, I know why I'm so exhausted when I go back to work on Mondays winky.gif  I'll probably be back to add more once DH wakes up. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#27 of 32 Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 PM

I just have a light list for this weekend. I need to clean the refrigerator and also clean the bathroom. 

#28 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM

1. Do laundry (fold, put away, etc.)

2. Vacuum downstairs hallway and stairs

3. Go to Grove on Sunday

4. Plant my seedlings, seeds, and trees that I ordered

5. Rest and relax with my DH, lemonade in hand, on the hammock in the backyard...

So I didn't get to the laundry - which is sitting in five big baskets in the dining room and in our bedroom...sigh...maybe we should get rid of some clothes. The vacuuming didn't get done either - but that's fine as we tracked dirt from the garden throughout the house anyways, so I can vacuum today. Not sure what this weekend involves, so I'll have to post later. Good job mamas!

#29 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 10:27 AM

I cleaned the refrigerator, but I didn't get around to cleaning the bathroom. Ah well...

#30 of 32 Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 PM

bump.gif

Bumping this thread in the hopes of breathing some life back into it. smile.gif

Yesterday DH and I cleaned all the windows in our apartment, outside and in (except the window in the utility room that is hard to get to).

Our project for this evening and tomorrow is to declutter and organize the utility room. It's our storage room and it is very scary.

Anyone care to join me?  I figure the weekend is technically over for the most part, but some of us have a 3 day weekend. Or you can post your goal for next weekend.

Tags
Non Toxic Cleaning , Mrs Meyers Cleaning Day , Organization , Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page