Feeling in the Minority - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post

Okay, I might buy a house with a bowling alley in it... nothing too fancy.. two lanes...

LOL!  Our son has discovered bowling and my DH has realized it is fun (after years of professing to hate it).  He has been joking about building a lane.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 AM

The Heifer Int. newsletter had a graph in it last time it came about the average house size in the U.S. compared to the average house England, France, etc. I couldn't find the same graph, but this article sums up the insanity pretty well I think! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5525283 (The part where they mention 3 playrooms for 2 children makes me sick and breaks my heart all at once...)

#33 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post

I know hobbies take space.. I would love to eventually have a room to keep crafting projects/supplies... but we could do that in 3000 sq feet.  My parents have about 3000 and its plenty spacious :)  I guess maybe if your hobby was bowling you would need a really big house..

Organization plays such an important role in space saving.  We are currently a family of 3 (plus a dog) living in 925 sq feet.  I am a professional artist and enjoy other craft hobbies in my free time.  So far we have managed to house all of my work items plus supplies for knitting, sewing, paper crafting, and gardening.  Mostly it comes down to prioritization.  When I buy new supplies I also buy storage bins to keep it all in.  When I make more than I can store or use I give it away as gifts.  Living intentionally makes so many things possible.

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#34 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post

Layout is big. You said your layout is fantastic. I expect some of your friends actually would be happier with a smaller house and better layout but they don't realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci&Granola View Post

Organization plays such an important role in space saving.  We are currently a family of 3 (plus a dog) living in 925 sq feet.  I am a professional artist and enjoy other craft hobbies in my free time.  So far we have managed to house all of my work items plus supplies for knitting, sewing, paper crafting, and gardening.  Mostly it comes down to prioritization.  When I buy new supplies I also buy storage bins to keep it all in.  When I make more than I can store or use I give it away as gifts.  Living intentionally makes so many things possible.

these are both so true.  When we moved into our 1100sf house, we thought it was a tad small but perfectly fine for our three person family and our first house.  The longer we live here though, the bigger it feels.  The layout isn't the best and I can see that now.. the house ISN'T that small.. just not the best designed.  I'm also MUCH more efficient at organization and minimizing the unnecessary stuff.  Where we used to think our closets were too small (its an old house, so they ARE tiny closets) we now have extra space in them.  Between pruning the junk we never used anyway and organizing the junk we keep better... we now agree that we could even live in a bit smaller of a house even with a second child.

I don't think people truly appreciate just how BIG 6000 square feet is.... and how if you just keep filling up your house, even 6k can feel too small.  Not everyone needs to be a minimalist like I've become, but it is silly to spend money on a bigger house for things that won't pay you rent.

#35 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 01:29 PM

shy.gif  i have a ginormous amount of stuff related to my interests/hobbies.  i always have!  and up until recently, i lived with a musician/recording person with an obscene amount of gear.  somehow we managed to fit it into our tiny apartments, our first little house, and our current normal (imo) house.  (small by other people's standards but i think it's plenty.)  i guess we make room for the mountains of fabric, for the piano, the guitars, etc because they matter to us.  other people make room for a huge movie collection, or two sets of dishes, glassware and flatware, zillions of books, or a huge wardrobe, whatever it is that they care about.  in fact, most of my friends live in modest homes, yet are musicians/artists/crafty, so there must be some way to combine these lotsa-stuff activities with small space living.  admittedly, sometimes that "way" involves an off-site studio, but that's not a must.  we all manage somehow.  wink1.gif

on the other hand, my aunt and uncle live in 5000 square feet and he still can't get his music-listening room that he's always wanted.  ha!  no way, gotta have a craft room, a play room, an office and a guest bedroom, formal and informal living, formal and informal dining . . . to each her own.  (and i do mean her own.)  i guess they're candidates for a bigger house.  orngtongue.gifl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

But what if the activities you want to be involved in, require a lot of stuff? lol.gif

For me my interests include both art (painting, drawing, collage) plus I do scrapbooking as a craft. All these things require a lot of stuff.

Most of the stuff we have is related to having children. But even if I was still single, or married but had no children, I would still have a lot of stuff which I need to do my stuff... orngtongue.gif

#36 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_muffin View Post

The Heifer Int. newsletter had a graph in it last time it came about the average house size in the U.S. compared to the average house England, France, etc. I couldn't find the same graph, but this article sums up the insanity pretty well I think! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5525283 (The part where they mention 3 playrooms for 2 children makes me sick and breaks my heart all at once...)

that's a great article. "Back in the 1950s and '60s, people thought it was normal for a family to have one bathroom, or for two or three growing boys to share a bedroom." ha!  i guess i'm back in the 50s.

#37 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Yowza. I'd happily daydream about what I'd do with all those square feet, just like I can daydream about winning the lottery - if I can add a housekeeper to the daydream. But I think that normal crazed-consumer American life can be quite comfortably lived in, oh, a 500 square foot base for the first person, plus 200 square feet per added person. There are two of us in a roughly 1000 square foot house, and it's ample space for us and more stuff than we _should_ have, if not quite enough space for all the stuff we _do_ have.

I do think that, while a luxury and not a necessity, having a private space for each person is something that adds a great deal to one's quality of life. But it doesn't have to be a big space - my beloved den is about the size of a modest full bath. I would _like_ twice that space plus a walk-in closet, to have room for tons of hobbies, but that would still add barely more than 100 square feet. I can't imagine making much use of another couple of thousand. (Unless I were really, really big into model trains. Then I could see it.)

Crayfish

#38 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are six in 1000sqft and its cramped...especially win my tween and teen. I fantasize about 1400 sqrt and mult living areas so that I don't have teens up to my eyeballs when the older kids.each have a friend.over. im not moving though so I will just have to be more creative.
#39 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post

Tradd- I don't know if your single friends are Orthodox, but you can always say that you're trying to imitate the asceticism of the saints!  Of course, not all the saints were ascetics, but there were quite a few of them...

That's great! Most of them are Orthodox, so I'll just have to remember that! Thanks!

lady.gif
#40 of 51 Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM

We're a family of 3 in 750 sq ft (2br2ba) and it feels MASSIVE to me.  We moved recently before this we were a family of 3+cat in a 450 sq ft 1br1ba.  When we got our current place I was actually pregnant so we had intended to have a 4 person family in this space. One thing that certainly helps, though, is that we live in a large apt complex so we have tons of shared outdoor space/pools/BBQs/party space etc.  If we want guests over they never have to even enter our apt.  winky.gif I love it this way because then we don't have to feel like we need to use these extra amenities if we don't want to (like I would if we had a massive place of our own) but we can if we do want to.  What's the point of having a huge pool or all these extra dining rooms if they only get used a handful of times per year?  Plus I love the social aspect of having so many other families around, people to talk to.  I'd get sort of freaked out in the middle of nowhere, I'm definitely a city girl.  bag.gif

We'd like to have another kid or two so we're looking to buy a 3br2.5ba (just over 1000sqft) in the same apt complex that we're currently in.  The layout is amazing so that's why you can fit so much into that space.  We've always planned on having our kids room together (DD's room currently is barely used at the moment since she still sleeps with us, for instance) so if the next kid or two are both girls we'll just pile them all into one bedroom and make the other room an office/guest room.  I've already even picked out the most beautiful wooden bunkbed that has a built in desk/drawers that I want to buy for DD once she's old enough and another younger brother or sibling if we're so lucky. smile.gif

Oh, and seriously how do people clean that massive space?  We both work and our thinking of getting a cleaning lady for our small space (DH has really bad dust allergies so we have to dust/sweep quite a bit), how in the world do other people manage it???

#41 of 51 Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

It is very reassuring to know that I am not the only one baffled by the "OMG we NEED a ton of space" mentality!!  We uh... just found out we are expecting our 4th.. so I guess we will be 6 people in 1300 square feet come January :)

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#42 of 51 Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 AM

When I was a teenager, my parents lived in a couple of pretty big houses (lol, not at the same time, they had one then moved to another). I don't know how big they were, honestly, as a teen I didn't ask square feet, but I'm guessing 3500 sq ft maybe, both of them.

They were nice, yeah. Very fancy, especially compared to the houses we'd lived in before and since. But both houses eventually had their upstairs abandoned. Oh, stuff got stored up there, but nobody lived upstairs. There were toilets that just never got flushed (who needs FIVE toilets for a family of 3 whose teen goes to boarding school??). In one house there was a living room and a den; the living room was formal and never got used. The same house had a formal dining room that got used maybe twice during the 2 years we lived there. The other house had what was called a "bonus room" (a lot of houses in Charlotte, NC, have those; I haven't heard of them in other places) - a room that could be a game room or an extra bedroom or a studio or office or whatever you want to do with it. It was a really large room. We stored boxes in there. Lots of them.

I currently live in a 1100 sq ft house, 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. My mom thinks it's impossible to live with one bathroom, but so far we have just never had a problem with it. Perhaps because nobody in our family spends really dedicated time in the bathroom - nobody is doing their hair or makeup for hours. We're just in and out. My house does not feel really large to me, but not small either. If we had a second child, we wouldn't worry about the space either. If a genie came to me and offered to build me an addition, I MIGHT consider a little room for our home gym (right now we have a gym instead of a living room). Or I might not. (I'd definitely go for a greenhouse, though!).

We do have some clutter that we keep working on, but we definitely feel like the problem is the stuff and not the space. The clutter would not suddenly become useful stuff if we had a 3000 sq ft house. It would just be junk shoved away into drawers or into boxes in the "bonus room." I'd rather just be rid of the junk.

our neighbors are a family of 4 in about 900 sq ft. They wish it was bigger but they are ok. They think our house is huge.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#43 of 51 Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM

I have no idea how many square feet our house has. I guess it's medium sized?

We have lived in several apartments and houses over the years, both small and large.

I have enjoyed both the smaller sized spaces and the larger spaces for different reasons. And right now, with a teenager at home who brings friends over and they are in the basement making music, I sometimes wish for a bigger house! lol!

It does make a difference, at least to me, how old the kids are and also how comfortable everyone in the family is with being around people all the time. Some of us NEED quiet time alone and get cranky when we don't get it. All four of us in our family need some space and time alone, apart from each other sometimes. Shrugs.

I would LOVE to finally declutter our basement, do another big declutttering upstairs. Getting rid of "stuff" makes our space seem bigger.

Dh and I talk about downsizing next house/next move, but then I wonder about what if the kids come and visit and bring their families? I'd like to have a small 3 bedroom house with a basement, I guess.

I do better in small, cozy spaces than dh does. He really doesn't do well without a space of his own to go veg in. And like I said, a small space is fine, but right now with the drums and guitars on week-ends sometimes, I feel like my teeth are rattling and I WISH for a big house, with a basement that has a door to muffle the sound some. shy.gif

Oh, we host holidays , so having a dining room has been nice. I would be okay, though, without one if the layout was right.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#44 of 51 Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely don't see anything WRONG with having a bigger house.. my confusion is mostly with the "I need it" attitude, you know?  Like... my friend in question... is seriously considering telling her DH she does NOT want him to take this job (even tho it is a great opportunity for him) because they probably can't get the size house she thinks she needs in the area where the job offer is.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#45 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post

I definitely don't see anything WRONG with having a bigger house..

Relieved to hear that....I was starting to feel a bit of an odd one out for actually LIKING my big house. I lived in a confined space for 20 years so I am just loving the space now. joy.gif

SAHM to three
#46 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Relieved to hear that....I was starting to feel a bit of an odd one out for actually LIKING my big house. I lived in a confined space for 20 years so I am just loving the space now. joy.gif

Definitely nothing wrong with liking/loving your big house :)  I think under the right conditions I would like more space, like when I have 3 teenage boys... but it would definitely be a luxury and not a need if that makes sense.

#47 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Me too!  We're currently building our "forever" house.....after years of military housing, it will be so nice to have a space for everything, with space leftover.  We are a family of 7 - and we don't see it as a NEED, but it certainly will be nice.

#48 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 01:31 PM

I relocated to a new state for work last fall (the old house, which was 4,200, has not yet sold) and am living in a small rental house (less than 1,000)...I miss the nicer house, and having a little more room (and a basement) but I don't miss the cleaning and maintenance.  There was an entire floor that we only used once or twice a month!  While, when I buy again, I would like a bigger house than we are living in now, I certainly hope to get one about half the size of the former one!

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#49 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:

Quote:

But if your username is "Clutter Warrior," I doubt you moved into it in order to accumulate and accommodate tons of stuff winky.gif....which is what I suspect a lot of people who "need" a big house do.  THAT'S a large part of what baffles us minimalists. 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#50 of 51 Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 AM

I say live by example. I live in a 600+ some apartment, but I call it home and I love it. Some might say I am crazy, even more so with the small amount of stuff I actually own. I can appreciate a well put-together home but stuff just makes me anxious and like everyone says here, who wants to clean that? NOT ME!!! : )

#51 of 51 Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

I liked with exBF in 350 sq foot studio.  We could have used a big walk in closet or other additional storage, but it was really not bad.  It forced us to limit our "stuff" and be very organized.  

Being smaller it was also easier to decorate to my tastes.  When the only furniture you have is a dresser, loveseat and bed, you can afford to spend money and get the stuff you really want, instead of making do.  I loved that place.  

Tags
Simplicity

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page