Feeling in the Minority - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, a recent discussion of house size among my friends has me feeling like a weirdo.  We are 5 people in about 1300 sq feet.  The layout is wonderful and we could easily add one more child.  I think down the road when our kids are older/bigger one more bedroom and maybe 1800-2000 square feet would be nice but definitely not NEEDED.  We do *need* a fenced yard/outdoor space.  But a lot of my friends are freaking out over 3000 sq feet being too small and needing 5500-6500 sq feet to have enough space.  I don't get it... what would you even PUT in that big a house?!?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 PM

And who wants to clean a house that big!?!?!

Ours is about 1600, and we are comfy.  Nice big yard, fenced in but falling apart.  lol  

I wouldn't like not being able to hear my kid (I fear the silence! lol) or see them in a house much bigger!

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Yup, same here, we are definitely in the smallest house of all our friends and family.   We are very happy in our home.  But *every* time we get together with SIL, she asks when we're moving to a bigger house, seriously, every. time.  We have no desire to move, so it comes off as pretty rude to me.  Last time she mentioned it, I just asked her if she was offering to pay for our upgrade ;)  We have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, and a wonderful layout, but I guess it's not up to today's standard size.  

#4 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am seriously just confused by it... even with like, more kids I don't think we want a ginormo house.  3 or 4 beds, good lay out, a basement or rec room would be pretty cool... but seriously?? 6500 sq feet?!?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#5 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Don't worry, you still have me <3

Seriously though, 3 thousand square feet being too small... we have three people in an 1100sqft house right now.  if we had 3k, we'd essentially have enough space for our 2 year old to live in this current house alone.  what little kid needs a whole house worth of space?  people do NOT need a thousand square feet per person.

I would NEVER live in a 6k sqft house unless we were living with many more people.  and I'm not cleaning the whole thing.

#6 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM

We currently have the smallest living space of all our friends, and the most kids! We have about 1000 sq feet and 6 people. At times I've loved the cozy feeling and it was easy raising toddlers because I can always see them - we have a great layout, but it's really too small. We are moving into a 1800 sq ft house, and looking to the future we are wondering where we will put future children! We love the house, and the land, but there are 3 small bedrooms. We assume with one or two more children we won't have enough space for more beds (bunkbeds aren't an option, low ceilings). So this is our forever house, but eventually it will need an addition, or we will need to convert the sunporch into a bedroom for the adults. 

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#7 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know people need a certain amount of space... but I don't think ANY sized family needs 6000 square feet... maybe if it was a multi-generational home so there were more separate living areas?

#8 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM

I grew up in a huge home. It was at least 4,000 sf not including the attic and basement. The only advantage I can see is that my parents can easily host their growing family for holidays. There usually 10 adults and X number of small children staying there over thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't particularly like house guests, however, so I'm totally happy with a smaller home. Right now we have three adults and a toddler in a 1,300 Sf apartment (no yard). It seems plenty big to me! We have by far the largest apartment of any of my friends. Most of them live in less than 800 sf. I can't imagine having a home that's larger than 2,000 sf. That would be beyond opulent!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#9 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post

Yeah, I know people need a certain amount of space... but I don't think ANY sized family needs 6000 square feet... maybe if it was a multi-generational home so there were more separate living areas?

Oh, I agree! I don't think I would want to maintain that much space! It would be too much to take care of. Imagine the heating bills!  We are considering building a 'guest house' for MIL to come live in, she will need care eventually and she is all alone. But with the guest house, and our house we wouldn't hit that amount of square footage. Maybe if you throw in the garage and barn too? LoL

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#10 of 51 Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Our house is fairly big if you include the size of the basement and garage. We sort of inherited this house, so it wasn't that I chose to have such a big house.  And it is a LOT of cleaning, I feel like I am always cleaning, I get to one of the house and basically have to turn round and start again! 

SAHM to three
#11 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post...............I don't get it... what would you even PUT in that big a house?!?......

Stuff.  lol.gif

I think people are like goldfish - we'll adapt to fill whatever space we have.

CariOfOz and AtYourCervices like this.
#12 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

I think people are like goldfish - we'll adapt to fill whatever space we have.

I love this!!!! It is so true. When my husband and I bought our 1200 square feet house it seemed so big, but we quickly filled it up. Now I'm in the process of getting rid of most of that junk! We have a toddler and a baby on the way, and I feel like we have plenty of space. Our house sits on 2 acres, and we all love to be outside, so we have plenty of room to "stretch out."

The funny thing is, my husband works on big, custom houses, and by big I mean 20,000-50,000 square feet! The kind of houses that have basketball courts in their basements and the maid's quarters are bigger than our entire house! The worst part is, it's always an older couple with no kids! Two people in such a big house seems like such a waste.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#13 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 AM

5-6K sq ft is huge!  There is a house I dream about that is for sale down the road that is in that range with a pool and hot tub and all sorts of fancy additions inside.  However, even with four wild kids, I don't know what we would realistically use all that space for.  We have about 3k sq ft now, and we probably only use 1/3 of the house the majority of the time.  Even with teenagers who have friends over, I'm not getting why anyone would truly need that much space.  I don't get how you grow out of a house that's already twice as big as the majority of homes, even with a larger family, anyhow.  Maybe they want to build a skate park inside? LOL!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:

But a lot of my friends are freaking out over 3000 sq feet being too small and needing 5500-6500 sq feet to have enough space.  I don't get it... what would you even PUT in that big a house?!?

ROTFLMAO.gif

it's just me and my two kids in 1350 sq ft, but i could easily fit a partner and another kid or two.  the "kid room" is the 500 sq ft finished attic so there is plenty of space for more up there, and the 850 main floor is a nice little house, with a 10x12 bedroom, open kitchen-dining-living and a spare little room that has the piano, books, fabric, yarn, storage, etc.  it works great for us.  there is plenty of space.  so i am right there with you!

(of course, a second bathroom would be nice, lol)

#15 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I love this!!!! It is so true. When my husband and I bought our 1200 square feet house it seemed so big, but we quickly filled it up. Now I'm in the process of getting rid of most of that junk! We have a toddler and a baby on the way, and I feel like we have plenty of space. Our house sits on 2 acres, and we all love to be outside, so we have plenty of room to "stretch out."

The funny thing is, my husband works on big, custom houses, and by big I mean 20,000-50,000 square feet! The kind of houses that have basketball courts in their basements and the maid's quarters are bigger than our entire house! The worst part is, it's always an older couple with no kids! Two people in such a big house seems like such a waste.

Yes, I think once you get to about 15K sq ft it goes beyond wanting extra space and straight for show.  Which is fine if that's your thing but yeah, that's a LOT of house.  However, think of the parties you could throw!  ;-)

#16 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

We have two kids and live in about 700 sq ft.  It's too small for us as there isn't much storage or yard, but I'd never want huge. 

#17 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 PM

We are a family of 4 in 800sq ft.  It's a little small but okay.  Problems start when my parents come to stay for the summer.  At one point in time, we had 6 adults and 1 kid in this 800 sqft house.  That was rough, and my brother blames his divorce on it!

A little more space would be nice.  1200 or 1500, but to be honest, we are okay with 800.  It works. I hate cleaning, and it's my max.  I can hear the kids in every room.  Lots of family time!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#18 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM

We had 8 in 1600 SF and I found it too small to live comfortably. It had a great layout, but we had brutal winters when we were inside all.the.time for about 6 weeks and the small space got to me.

We have 3500 now and it's fabulous. Could do with less but I do love space. Any larger would be overkill :) So i'll admit I felt squeezed with 200 SF per person.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#19 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

We had 8 in 1600 SF and I found it too small to live comfortably. It had a great layout, but we had brutal winters when we were inside all.the.time for about 6 weeks and the small space got to me.

We have 3500 now and it's fabulous. Could do with less but I do love space. Any larger would be overkill :) So i'll admit I felt squeezed with 200 SF per person.

I can see a 3000-3500 sq ft house being nice for a family of 8, especially as kids get older.  But, a family of 4-6?  Maybe "needing" 2000-2500 but I truly don't get the *need* for 1000 sq feet per person... lol

#20 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

yeah... I can see the need for a bigger house if you have a big family.. but 1000sqft per person?  Seems excessive...

Quote:

I can see a 3000-3500 sq ft house being nice for a family of 8, especially as kids get older.  But, a family of 4-6?  Maybe "needing" 2000-2500 but I truly don't get the *need* for 1000 sq feet per person... lol

#21 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM

My husband, myself, and our then-kitten lived for two years in a 600 sq. ft. apartment, which I loved. It had the bedroom on a corner, so it was always sunny and bright and felt very open. Didn't care a whole lot for the kitchen and laundry room/pantry...but it was acceptable...and the main living room and bathroom did not feel cramped.

We decided that we "needed" a house and started the hunt...and moved into our 1,600 sq. ft. home with a small backyard when I was four months pregnant. It's a three bedroom, two bath, two car garage house with a small attic and a bonus room we use as our office. It's a very nice house and feels very open. When we bought it we could see ourselves raising our kids here...as we never planned to have more than three and should we have needed to once kids reached the teen years and all wanted their own space we could have converted the office to a fourth bedroom since my husband is in the drywall and plastering business. It is PLENTY big for us...really too big...since we never use the third bedroom except for occasional company and really don't spend much time in the office...and since it seems we may end up with just two kids (after some scary stuff and big medical bills surrounding the birth of our first) we would never grow out of our space.

But funnily enough, we are actually looking forward to the time when we can put this house on the market and move to a space of about 330 sq. ft.!! Yep, we are gonna buy a 

fifth-wheel and hit the road sometime in the next 2-4 years!! Crazily enough, I'm actually looking forward to being in an even smaller space than we were in when we were in our apartment!! The layout of the living/dining/kitchen area is snug, but not claustrophobic, it will actually have 1.5 bathrooms, the kids room will have an entertainment center/wardrobe and two sets of bunkbeds and a huge open floor space (at least as much as Bug's room has now), and the master is big enough for a king sized bed and room to walk around it comfortably!! Who really needs more than that? If our second child ends up being a girl then at some point down the road we may install a curtain to divide the bunkroom for privacy...but truthfully, except for dressing what prepubescent child really needs an exclusively gender divided room?

I just think back to the time my childhood family lived in a trailer of only 192 sq. ft....where the couch became a bed for my sister and I, a curtain divided the back bedroom from the front room, my two brothers slept in a bunk over my parents double bed, and somehow another sister was conceived without any child seeing and having psychological scars!! If my childhood family of six (and then seven) could handle three years in less than 200 sq. ft....I am POSITIVE that my husband and I and two or three children can handle 330 sq. ft. with no problem!! :-D

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#22 of 51 Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Well. I of course think you're a weirdo :P But i have no clue.  Houses don't even come that big here. Like seriously.  We have a 900 sq ft ouse, with a basement we are finishing that adds soe extra space, and have 5 kids.  Its not super spacious but not awful either. 

CPST
#23 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 AM

We live in a "small" house by today's standards...  It's 1100 sq ft with 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and a partially finished basement.  I find that it's plenty large for the soon-to-be 4 of us.  I plan on the LOs sharing a room until DS is about 10, assuming the belly baby is a girl.  If it's a boy, then they can share indefinitely.  We are lucky to have a really great layout, and we have plenty of closets/storage as well as a 2 car garage with workshop, a shed, and half an acre of yard.

We live in a smaller home than almost all of our friends and family.  Doesn't bother me a bit, especially when I see how much junk people accumulate just because they have the space to warehouse it.  We're still in the process of paring down, but I'm a firm believer that we need less stuff and not more space!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#24 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

We currently live in about 1100 sq ft which is about 500 less than we had lived in for the 12 years before that.  Honestly, I don't miss the space at all (I do miss having another bathroom at times).  We are a family of four two adults and two school aged kiddos. I don't have particularly great guest accomodations, but we live about a block from a great bed and breakfast and could afford to put up any guests there (if paying their own was was a hardship)

DH and  good friend of his recently spent a night at the firiend's parents place.  They totally fit what you just discribed.  DH (a coffee geek) asked a question about the built in expresso maker in the kitchen.  They had never used it and ate out every meal despite having two kitchens.  When he went to bed he literally could not remember which bedroom he was supposed to sleep in.

#25 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Not quite the same, but similar -

Of all my single friends, I have the smallest place - and I'm also the only minimalist. They are constantly going on and on about how much time they have to spend on housework, taking care of stuff, etc.

I simply respond that I like having less space to clean/less stuff to take care of, because that means I can do what I want, not having to deal with so much stuff or space to clean. I'm involved in a lot of stuff, that people say they wish they could do - or have time for their hobbies.

But when people realize I have the freedom for my activities because my place is small and stuff minimal, it stops them cold in their tracks. They get that they could have all their stuff or the activities they want. And most don't want to give up the stuff.

lady.gif
#26 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Tradd- I don't know if your single friends are Orthodox, but you can always say that you're trying to imitate the asceticism of the saints!  Of course, not all the saints were ascetics, but there were quite a few of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

Not quite the same, but similar -

Of all my single friends, I have the smallest place - and I'm also the only minimalist. They are constantly going on and on about how much time they have to spend on housework, taking care of stuff, etc.

I simply respond that I like having less space to clean/less stuff to take care of, because that means I can do what I want, not having to deal with so much stuff or space to clean. I'm involved in a lot of stuff, that people say they wish they could do - or have time for their hobbies.

But when people realize I have the freedom for my activities because my place is small and stuff minimal, it stops them cold in their tracks. They get that they could have all their stuff or the activities they want. And most don't want to give up the stuff.

#27 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM

But what if the activities you want to be involved in, require a lot of stuff? lol.gif

For me my interests include both art (painting, drawing, collage) plus I do scrapbooking as a craft. All these things require a lot of stuff.

Most of the stuff we have is related to having children. But even if I was still single, or married but had no children, I would still have a lot of stuff which I need to do my stuff... orngtongue.gif

SAHM to three
#28 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I know hobbies take space.. I would love to eventually have a room to keep crafting projects/supplies... but we could do that in 3000 sq feet.  My parents have about 3000 and its plenty spacious :)  I guess maybe if your hobby was bowling you would need a really big house..

#29 of 51 Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Okay, I might buy a house with a bowling alley in it... nothing too fancy.. two lanes...

Quote:

I know hobbies take space.. I would love to eventually have a room to keep crafting projects/supplies... but we could do that in 3000 sq feet.  My parents have about 3000 and its plenty spacious :)  I guess maybe if your hobby was bowling you would need a really big house..

#30 of 51 Old 04-29-2011, 05:04 AM

Layout is big. You said your layout is fantastic. I expect some of your friends actually would be happier with a smaller house and better layout but they don't realize it.

Tags
Simplicity

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page