Kids bedrooms- do you require them to clean them? How often? No-why? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mine is still a baby, but as a kid i was very messy and when my mom told my sister and i to clean we had no idea *how*. once we hit the teen years she just gave up and our room looked like a natural disaster had hit it, was embarassing and not nice to live in. cleaning comes naturally to very few people. we had too much stuff to begin with, and none of it had a designated place. so cleaning was overwhelming and stressful, and so was living in our messy room, but my mom was messy herself and never showed us how to organize and clean and how to develop habits to keep things clean. when i moved out i spent several years trying to learn, and really am only recently starting to really get a handle on what it takes to have a clean house. i really wish i had been taught as a child how to clean, and more importantly how to live in a way that was organized and helped to keep things clean (i.e. constant reminders and example setting to pick up after oneself, not start a project till the previous is finished, etc). developing those habits as an adult has been really hard, and i plan to try to help dd learn them at a young age. cleaning is hard if it is viewed as an event, but it surprisingly easy - i am now discovering - if it is viewed as a way of life/part of being a loving and responsible part of the family.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 AM

A big part of cleaning is having somewhere to put things. It took me years of adulthood to learn how to keep the house clean. I never learned about storage, separation, I was just made to clean things(like soap-clean, not neatening and putting things away) I've learned to use storage bins. Unfortunately, my kids are also not good at keeping things clean. Hell, they leave trails of belongings through the house!!(well, 2 of them do. the oldest does not usually) If there's a certain spot that gets really bad, keep a basket or bin there to dump everything in, then it's all confined and will be easier to clean up.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#33 of 35 Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 AM

My limit is garbage/food items or dishes, because that will effect everyone in the house. Otherwise, its their room. If I don't like how it is, I close the door and don't go in. Its hard though, and I have lost my mind about the mess at times and I ask them if I can clean it! They always appreciate it, but its not really a priority to all of them to keep it that way (I have five kids, ages 4 thru 13).

#34 of 35 Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I used to be more strict , as the kids used to share a room and it was near impossible to see the floor after a couple of days , if I wasn´t on their case all the time , but now we have moved and each of them has their own room , so (with help for my 8-year-old) I pretty much let them do their own thing .

My youngest son is very neat , so he is no problem , but his brother is a big slob , but honestly , at 13 , it´s more or less his problem .

Food items and other things , that can go bad , that´s where I draw the line , but other than that , he´s the one getting embarrassed , when his friends come over !

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#35 of 35 Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I find that insisting on 5 minutes a day of tidying their bedrooms usually keeps things just fine. I view cleaning as a life skill and I want my kids to know how to do it. If they choose not to when they leave home that is fine because they will be making a choice. They won't be able to choose to have a clean and tidy living space if they have never been taught how to make it happen. I know too many adults who grew up in homes where it didn't matter and they want to have a clean home but can't make it happen or else their moms did it for them and they don't understand how bathrooms, kitchens and bedrooms no longer magically stay clean and tidy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page