My Quest to Simplification - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello,

I love this forum! I am not materialistic and try to have a decluttered simple lifestyle. However when I moved from a room in a house to my current very small house I had a pickup truck full of stuff including my bed and desk. Now I have soo much stuff that I don't 'know how to begin decluttering. I have two kids and two dogs and aside from clothes, mama cloth and a backpack of vitamins, supplements, oils, herbs and books everything else is for them. We plan on moving again this fall to a small town and I only want to bring what I can fit in my van and not make multiple trips or hire a movers. My bed is a futon that can fit behind the seat in the van and the rest would have to take up the space between the back seat and the drivers seat.

But my ex asked if he could leave some stuff at my house while he moved between two house and I stupidly agreed. He said he would pay me for each month his stuff was here and I haven't seen a cent. So not only is my outdoor 'storage' shed filled with junk that isn't mine, I have half of my kitchen filled with his 'nice stuff I should be happy to use' that I never touch aside from falling over trying to dig out bulk foods from my makeshift pantry. I do like the couch and my daughter likes his bigscreen tv but we were fine with a small tv and pillows to sit on and an empty living room that was not filled half way with coffee tables! So my main question is how do I get him to get rid of his stuff? I've asked and told him to get it out of my house and he always says 'why you're not moving anytime soon' or 'i'll pay you so you can't tell me what to do'.... I'm at my wits end and feel that I can't start decluttering my stuff until all of his junk is gone.

As for my stuff and my kids stuff this is what I plan on doing:

Making 'portfolios' of arts and crafts to send to grandparents and auntie.

Donating half of the toys (the ones with batteries and the ones noone uses anymore). This will hopefully make all toys fit into the toy 'box' we have.

Donating ALL clothes that doesn't fit (except for wool longies and shorties that are between my kids sizes) This should make the kids have a large laundry bag combined and make me have one.

Donate all books that don't fit into one large reusable shopping bag no matter how awesome the class I took years ago was or how much my kids love it

Donate our TV and DVD player since the laptop is basically both in a compact manner.

Baby gates and dog crates are two things I don't think we can give away because of safety issues. (My house has no doors but isn't really a studio so we use babygate doors)

Another thing I am stuck on is we have tons of blankets and hoodies/coats because I'm an'ti heater lol... I think we have way too many but even though it's all ready May there is an occasional day when we use most of them and the rest need to be washed.

Then there are the cloth diapers. I have enough to last a week and then go to the laundry mat.  I realized we have a ton of them but with two in diapers and their daycare only using AIOs and my preference for prefolds and fitteds they all get used. Like when I put the diapers next to our clothes the bags of diapers are larger than the bags of clothes! But we use all the diapers each week unlike the clothes that doesn't all ways get worn. None of the prefolds are in good enough shape to resell. I'm thinking of selling our non wool diaper covers since I only use wool and the daycare only allows AIO's.

So thank you for reading my ramblings! Any assistance would be appreciated.

Some specific questions I have are:

Do charities have donation trucks to pick up stuff if so which ones?

At what point can I legally sell my exes belongings so I can move out of my house? (Do I have to wait until the last minuet)

Should the craft portfolios only be given to relatives without their own little artists?

What about food? If I stopped shopping now we might eat all the food in our pantry. But then we would be without fresh fruits and veggies and would not be able to eat raw foods so that's not going to happen:P I'm thinking of donating to a food bank but do they accept opened packages of beans, rice, oatmeal, flour etc...'

So thank you for reading my ramblings! Any assistance would be appreciated.

be good family...

#2 of 3 Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

when you move out, anything left behind is considered "abandoned property" and the landlord would have to take care of it. So, tell your x that you are moving on ___ date, and that if he doesn't get his stuff before then, it becomes abandoned property and your landlord will take care of it.

as for the rest of it, it's just a process of going through it. We don't use heat here much either, so we also have the layers/blankets thing. :D finding a way to store your extra blankets/etc. . . is imperative. we store ours in some luggage (when luggage is not in use, it's folded on a shelf in the closet). 

you'll be fine. ;D

#3 of 3 Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Salvation Army picks up stuff. Check their website for your local contact.

Do what Zoebird recommends about the ex's stuff. It's not your responsibility beyond giving your ex your moving date. A deadline is a fine motivator for people to pick up their stuff.

You have a lot of weeks between now and your move in the fall to eat up the consumables you have that are opened (rice etc) while combining it with fresh produce. Don't open any other packet food until you've finished off some of the open stuff.

We've been doing the same decluttering, donating, and using up consumables strategy prior to our move next weekend. It sounds like you're organized and thinking ahead to how you will best achieve your move, I think you'll do great :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page