How do you clean a bathroom? Who does it naturally? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This sounds like a funny question, but I feel like there's got to be secrets I don't know about.

WHEN I clean my bathroom (a big when indeed bag.gif) here's what I usually do -

Take out the trash, replace the bag.

Sweep the floor.

Clean the toilet inside with a wand and those disposable blue scrubbers that clip to the wand.

Spray and wipe down outside of toilet (including handle) with disinfectant.

Spray walls of shower with cleaner, wipe and rinse.

Pour AJAX or powdered clorox all over tub, let sit, scrub with sponge, rinse.

"Mop" floor - usually just spray and wipe with a rag.

I really hate that this process involves so many chemicals (especially the AJAX part) and it really smells bad. But this is the only way I have found that really gets mold/grime off of a tub or shower walls, and cleans the toilet to my satisfaction. This is how my mom taught me so it's the only way I know. What do you do? Does anyone clean their bathroom naturally/with more natural products?

P.S. I just realized this post is probably another way for me to procrastinate actually cleaning my bathroom and doing all those things! lol.gif

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#2 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Well, this is what I do, not all of it will work for you but you can just take ideas.

- I actually don't have trash in there, believe it or not. There is only rarely bathroom trash of any sort - mostly toothpaste tubes that have run out, but that takes a while (and we just walk it to the main trash on that occasion). I use moon rags so I don't have any "female" trash.

- Sweep, sure, I do that.

- Clean the toilet - I use a toilet brush, nothing disposable. I use castile soap usually (like dr. bronners). The peppermint smells awesome and clean.

- I use a mixture of 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water to wipe things down. I use baking soda for anything that needs scrubbing. Other people use tea tree oil as a disinfectant, but we are very tight on money and I don't bother. If we had more money, I'd add an essential oil to the vinegar mixture (peppermint for that, too, probably). I've done it in past years and love it. I can smell the vinegar when I'm using it, but as soon as it's dry, the smell is gone. But I actually like the smell of vinegar anyway - at least better than chemicals.

- On the tub, I might use baking soda for a scrub, but usually I just let my brush do the scouring (with either vinegar or castile soap). A rougher sponge might be useful too.

- Mop floor with same vinegar mixture.

I'm lucky because we don't have a mold problem in the tub. I don't claim it's because I'm better at cleaning it; we probably just have less humidity in our bathroom than you do, or maybe because our bathroom is unheated (so fairly cold in the winter). Grime might be the same humidity factor, though it's also possible that it's a buildup of conventional products (shampoo, detergent soap, cleaners, etc.).

Do read up on vinegar and baking soda as cleansers - they are the traditional cleaners and have actual cleaning properties. Don't, however, mix them together to clean. It's not dangerous or anything (but fun!!! causes a chemical reaction) but mixing them neutralizes their pH and offsets some cleaning properties. Tea tree oil may also interest you very much (you don't use it alone; it's very strong, you add it to your vinegar or other liquid cleaner). I've actually seen tea tree oil in WalMart before.

Wolfcat and tccandlsccmom like this.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

**Can you skip the bag and just use the trash can?  Wash it out occasionally?  Or as alternative, reuse plastic grocery bags.  I try to use cloth bags, but somehow (DH - I am looking at you!) we end up with some bags.

Sweep the floor.

**That's pretty green.  Just don't use a swiffer!

Clean the toilet inside with a wand and those disposable blue scrubbers that clip to the wand.

**Get a green cleaner.  Ditch the disposable and get a regular toilet brush.  Bad chemicals and creates waste.

**I just use window cleaner or a mild green cleaner.  

**This is hard to get green.  I've tried various shower cleaners and lots of green ones just don't work at cutting through soap scum.  Clorox has a "green" line, which is not really all that green, but it's semi-green and actually cleans.  Otherwise, use a sponge that has a scrubby side on it and a crappy cleaner and scrub.

**There are green scouring powders, or you can use your shower cleaner and the scrubby.

**I use the window cleaner or mild cleaner for this too.  Rag is fine.

I know there are some people on here that make their own cleaners.  Since some of the greener stuff can be pricey, you may want to consider that.  For me though - I just don't have the time.  And there are good options out there.  

I think a lot of the green stuff does not work as well - we developed these toxic cleaners for a reason.  If you clean frequently the green stuff is usually OK.  

Some stuff is grener than others.  7th Generation is a good bet or Mrs Meyers.  Method is fairly cheap and works well, but not always as green.

#4 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Well, this is what I do, not all of it will work for you but you can just take ideas.

- I actually don't have trash in there, believe it or not. There is only rarely bathroom trash of any sort - mostly toothpaste tubes that have run out, but that takes a while (and we just walk it to the main trash on that occasion). I use moon rags so I don't have any "female" trash.

No trash, not even dental floss? I'm impressed. 

We have very little trash in the bathroom, but I like having a small trash bin in there to catch dental floss and various oddments.  I also think it's a convenience for any female visitors. DS and DD are both teens, so we have lots of girls over. Our washer and dryer are in the same room, so it's handy for whatever trash I find in pockets, dryer lint etc. 

OP, my routine is similar to yours, but I mostly use vinegar, baking soda or borax (separately, not mixed together). I use a regular toilet brush, not disposable. Every so often, I soak it in a borax solution to clean it up too. 

I wipe down the sink and counter every other day or so in the morning after everyone is finished getting ready for the day. I find that if the sink looks dirty, then the whole room looks dirty, but if it's shining, everything seems cleaner. 

For mirrors, glass shower doors and shiny surfaces, I use a glass cloth. I just have to dampen it a little and it wipes them down beautifully. If the shower doors have a lot of soap build-up, I'll use diluted vinegar to clean them. 

#5 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

No trash, not even dental floss? I'm impressed. 

We have very little trash in the bathroom, but I like having a small trash bin in there to catch dental floss and various oddments.  I also think it's a convenience for any female visitors. DS and DD are both teens, so we have lots of girls over. Our washer and dryer are in the same room, so it's handy for whatever trash I find in pockets, dryer lint etc. 

Well, don't be entirely impressed. For one thing, we don't use dental floss as much as we should bag.gif.

And it's not so much that we have literally NO TRASH EVER but no can in there, because the rare trash will just get walked out.

I have been wondering lately about my shampoo, though. I've been trying to calculate how long I've been using the bottle. I know when I bought it - December 2004. (Irrelevant how I know this so precisely). Now, I definitely did not start using it then because I had another bottle going. But let's say that bottle I had lasted another 2 years, then I've been using this one since 2007? I ran out of the matching conditioner a while back (6 months ago, maybe) and DH bought another one. But I don't know if I really understand this. DD and I share this shampoo. DH uses a different bottle. Also, how can I put this delicately, DH has no hair. (Bald on top and shaves the rest off). And yet he replaces his shampoo more often than I do.

Another thread on MDC made me realize I should probably have a can in there for guests, but we don't have that many guests (maybe I'll provide one for next time) and we have no teens or anything.

Well, back to the actual discussion...

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#6 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM

I know what you mean OP - we (finally!) have a bathroom in our room - me and DH  - of course now DS#2 is sleeping there with us - and he is there for all his naps.  soooooo, i certainly dont want to clean the bathroom with him on my back - breathing in all those chemicals, and its really no better if i try to clean while DS is napping....i mean, the bathroom is attached - he STILL be breathing in the chemicals....i better just not do it.....LOL - of course then DS loves nothing better than to crawl in there and make me cringe......

i have to get my older kids to watch him while i clean....so everything gets minimal attention - so i can be DONE very quickly!    

We have so much trash in there...i need to change it 2 - 3 X / week.  I scrub the toilet with a toilet brush and Clorox cleaner maybe once a week.....OK more like every 2 weeks....

I also use Comet to scrub the shower ...and no amount of strength in scrubbing ever seems to get it totally clean....

i have shower doors - the build up of soap scum is intolerable...and the shower head doesnt reach over there - i cant rinse them off....I usually use cleanser there too - but it doesnt do a good job....and i have to stand inside the shower - basically inhaling and being coated in this stuff.....i cant figure out how to rinse everything off....with vinegar - do you need to rinse? 

- the floors - i try to mop with a little Clorox and hot water....but i have been known to use Lysol wipes!  We have a teeny tiny bathroom and i HATE getting onto hands and knees to scrub -   i can throw a wipe on the floor and drag it along with my foot....lol   i know, very wasteful.....

Has anyone seen this?  http://store.irobot.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3334444

im considering asking for it for X-mas!   - now if it could go up the shower doors - my bathroom would be squeaky clean!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#7 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 AM

The bathroom is one area where I just can't seem to let go of my chemical-laden products. They're marketed as "green" cleaners, but I've checked into the ingredient list and they're anything but. Anyway, here is my weekly bathroom cleaning list. I've also indicated how I clean it in case that is of any interest to you :)

My all purpose cleaner is Mrs. Meyers Clean Day All Purpose Cleaner 

My shower tile cleaner is Mrs. Meyers Shower 

My antibacterial cleaner is Method Antibac 

My glass cleaner is Green Works Glass Cleaner (there is nothing green about this. It's made by Clorox hide.gif)

My wood cleaner is Method Good For Wood 

Weekly Bathroom Cleaning

• clean shower tiles (tile cleaner + rinse with hot water)

• clean glass shower door (glass cleaner + lint free cleaning rag)

• wipe down shower fixtures (stainless steel cleaner + lint free cleaning rag)

• dust and wipe down molding, baseboards & light fixtures (lint free cleaning rag + hot water)

• wipe down windowsills (microfiber dusting cloth)

• dust and wipe down baseboards (lint free cleaning rag + hot water)

• dust and polish furniture (ie. vanity fronts) (rag + wood cleaner)

• disinfect toilet (interior, exterior, base & back) (antibacterial cleaner + rag)

• clean glass mirror and window (lint free cleaning rag + glass cleaner)

• clean and disinfect vanity top and sink (rag + antibacterial cleaner)

• clean and disinfect chrome fixtures and hardware (rag + antibacterial)

• disinfect door knobs, switches, and handles (rag + antibacterial cleaner)

• empty and reline trash

• vacuum & mop floor

• launder towels and bath mat

Hope that helps!

"Our truest opinions are not the ones we have never changed, but those to which we have most often returned."-Diderot
#8 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

i have shower doors - the build up of soap scum is intolerable...and the shower head doesnt reach over there - i cant rinse them off....I usually use cleanser there too - but it doesnt do a good job....and i have to stand inside the shower - basically inhaling and being coated in this stuff.....i cant figure out how to rinse everything off....with vinegar - do you need to rinse? 

I have an idea for you for the shower door soap scum! I have a small, handheld squeegee hanging from a suction cup hook in our shower. I use that after every shower to get the water off the doors and it really seems to cut down on the soap scum and grime. As for the tiles themselves, I've tried cleaning with vinegar (and it seemed to do a good job) but I really don't care for the smell. What I did was scrub the tiles with undiluted white distilled vinegar and then rinse them off. 

"Our truest opinions are not the ones we have never changed, but those to which we have most often returned."-Diderot
#9 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 PM

I have heard that wiping down the doors/ tiles immediately after a shower is the best way to resolve soap scum.....I will have to look for a squeegee!  thanks for the idea!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#10 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

I clean mine 1-2 times a week, depending upon how I feel about how clean/dirty it is.

I start by sweeping the floors and then I do the tub, then sink, then toilet. Once those are done, i do the walls and ceiling (this being because it can be a moldy place). 

I wash towels and floormat (for shower) once a week with sheets and other linens. 

I use an all purpose organic/biodegradable soap, laundry detergent and whitening powder.

#11 of 59 Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Here's what I do....  I use vinegar and water to clean most everything...but in the bath I buy bad for the earth disposable wipes.   I know.....  it's bad.  But it's b/c I make DH clean up his shaving mess and the kids have their own bath room and I make DS clean up his pee that drips down the seat and the toothpaste mess they make.  

I empty the trash 2x week usually.  

Sweep the floor.

I vacuum....I have a dog.  lol

I have brushes in each bath and I use the lysol toilet bowl cleaner.   Glad I read this thread, I've been wanting to try a greener way to clean them!

Again I use the wipes

Wipes again

Vinegar again, but the tub is generally clean as I have a rag I wipe down the walls with when I'm done, and I have a detachable head also I spray everytime I use the shower.   Usually it's the kids who leave a ring around the tub!!

Vinegar again!  

This is my morning, once a week!!  lol  

I also use the vinegar on the mirrors.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#12 of 59 Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

This list makes me tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqNS View Post

The bathroom is one area where I just can't seem to let go of my chemical-laden products. They're marketed as "green" cleaners, but I've checked into the ingredient list and they're anything but. Anyway, here is my weekly bathroom cleaning list. I've also indicated how I clean it in case that is of any interest to you :)

My all purpose cleaner is Mrs. Meyers Clean Day All Purpose Cleaner 

My shower tile cleaner is Mrs. Meyers Shower 

My antibacterial cleaner is Method Antibac 

My glass cleaner is Green Works Glass Cleaner (there is nothing green about this. It's made by Clorox hide.gif)

My wood cleaner is Method Good For Wood 

Weekly Bathroom Cleaning

• clean shower tiles (tile cleaner + rinse with hot water)

• clean glass shower door (glass cleaner + lint free cleaning rag)

• wipe down shower fixtures (stainless steel cleaner + lint free cleaning rag)

• dust and wipe down molding, baseboards & light fixtures (lint free cleaning rag + hot water)

• wipe down windowsills (microfiber dusting cloth)

• dust and wipe down baseboards (lint free cleaning rag + hot water)

• dust and polish furniture (ie. vanity fronts) (rag + wood cleaner)

• disinfect toilet (interior, exterior, base & back) (antibacterial cleaner + rag)

• clean glass mirror and window (lint free cleaning rag + glass cleaner)

• clean and disinfect vanity top and sink (rag + antibacterial cleaner)

• clean and disinfect chrome fixtures and hardware (rag + antibacterial)

• disinfect door knobs, switches, and handles (rag + antibacterial cleaner)

• empty and reline trash

• vacuum & mop floor

• launder towels and bath mat

Hope that helps!

#13 of 59 Old 05-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

This list makes me tired.

Me too!  ROTFLMAO.gif

SAHM to three
#14 of 59 Old 05-21-2011, 04:57 PM

I don't use many chemicals to clean the bathroom, except for the toilet cleaner.

I don't believe in using anti-bacterial cleaning products as the overuse of these has been linked to the growth of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

For the sink I just wipe/scrub it with a cloth and a special non scratching sponge that cleans the sink really well.

I vacuum or sweep the floor then mop it with my enjo mop which just uses water, no chemicals needed.

Shower is cleaned with normal washing detergent with a scrubbing brush...I find that detergent is excellent for removing any mould.

SAHM to three
#15 of 59 Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Here's what I do:

Take out the trash, replace the bag. We have a little bin, no liner, just tip rubbish directly into the rubbish bag once a week when it's collection day.

Sweep the floor. I vacuum it when I'm doing that end of the house - once a week.

Clean the toilet inside with a wand and those disposable blue scrubbers that clip to the wand. I use a toilet brush, no disposable thingys. I sprinkle some baking soda in the toilet and scrub it around a bit. The baking soda bottle has a few drops of essential oil in it to make it smell nice.

Spray and wipe down outside of toilet (including handle) with disinfectant.I just wipe it down with water.

Spray walls of shower with cleaner, wipe and rinse.We use baking soda and water. I don't scour it hard, just a light wipe to remove scum.

Pour AJAX or powdered clorox all over tub, let sit, scrub with sponge, rinse.Baking soda and rinse with water.

"Mop" floor - usually just spray and wipe with a rag. I just wipe it down with my bathroom cleaning cloth - water only. If I'm mopping the house then the water has vinegar in it.

I really hate that this process involves so many chemicals (especially the AJAX part) and it really smells bad. But this is the only way I have found that really gets mold/grime off of a tub or shower walls, and cleans the toilet to my satisfaction. This is how my mom taught me so it's the only way I know. What do you do? Does anyone clean their bathroom naturally/with more natural products? 

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#16 of 59 Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM

I used to use all homemade cleaners, then life got away from me, so now I buy Method stuff at Target. It's greener than what I could be using (Lysol, Clorox, etc.) so I'm happy with it.

When I clean, I pour cleaner in the toilet and give it a quick swish. Then, I spray the outside of the toilet, the counters, bathtub and shower and leave it all to "soak." That's when I sweep the floor and take out the trash.  Once I'm ready to wipe everything down, it all cleans up pretty quickly.  I use Method scrubby stuff (kind of like Soft-scrub) in the sinks and tub as needed.

We also don't use bags for our trashcan and I just use a regular old non-disposible toilet brush. I suppose I should soak that periodically, but I haven't yet.bag.gif

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#17 of 59 Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM

As I was typing out this list I realized how tedious it sounded. It only takes me 15-20 minutes from start to finish. I save my favorite podcast (This American Life) to listen to while cleaning the bathrooms so its not too bad.

#18 of 59 Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Does anyone here have an acrylic tub/ new toilet? I have been absolutely forbidden to use anything abrasive on the tub, and pretty much same with the toilet. I can use green products anywhere but in the tub-- it just doesn't cut it. I think if I wanted to use a green cleaner, I'd need to clean the bathtub maybe twice a week? At this point in time it's just not happening. 

Right now, my routine is:

-pull everything off the top of the sink, toilet, etc and put outside the bathroom.

-Spray down toilet bowl, top, outside and sink with cleaner (Usually Mrs. Meyers all purpose, but sometimes just water, or water and vinegar.

-Scrub sink with whatever facecloth happens to be near usually

-scrub outside of toilet with cloth

-Scrub inside of toilet with cloth (can't use a toilet brush because it could scratch)

-  Shower walls I usually clean at the beginning of one of my showers, and then I just rinse it with the shower water, clean myself and get out

-Bathtub-- my feel bad job-- We use scrubbing bubbles. It's the only non-abrasive cleaner I've found that cuts through the soap scum without mass mass amounts of elbow grease. It takes me about 5 minutes to clean the tub. Last time I tried to use melaluca, it took me about 30 minutes, I was sore, and wasn't done yet. I almost cried. I also can't use the scrubber side of a sponge because-- you guessed it, it scratches. Because the tub is acrylic, you can really tell if it's not spotless clean, so using baking soda and water or vinegar, etc, just doesn't seem to cut through enough of the scum. Maybe if I did it every day?

-Sweep floor

-get down on hands and knees, and work my way backwards out of the room, handwashing floor. 

All in all, once I start it only takes maybe 20 minutes tops. Not bad, it's just convincing myself to start!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#19 of 59 Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 PM
L J

I was just thinking about this today! My mom and I were talking about what was on sale this week, and she said somewhere had a bunch of cleaning products for a good deal with a giftcard promo or something, and I thought.... I don't buy any of that stuff!

Here is how, and what, I clean my bathroom with:

- Vacuum the floor
- Hand the 4 year old a bottle of Bac Out all purpose cleaner and put him in the big garden tub with a cleaning towel, because I am just too darn pregnant to do it anymore
- Fill the sink with Bac Out stain and odor eliminator and wipe the sink area, then the floor and the toilet
- Pour a bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the toilet and scrub with the brush (4 year old usually does this, too, because he likes to) If I have laundry detergent that I got free or super cheap that I don't like for clothes, I use that to clean the toilets - it works great.

I love all Bac Out products. They smell so clean, and I feel good letting my ds clean with them.

I do use Windex on the mirror on the rare occasion that I wipe it - my family is truly a CLEAN bathroom family - they are not hard to clean up after. Our bathroom just never seems dirty. My DH shaves in the shower, which is so nice, because that means no little hairs all over the sink.

My one big no-no is bleaching the shower curtain a couple of times a year. I fill the tub up as far as it will go, put the curtain (just the bottom part, I leave it hanging normally on the rod) in the tub and pour in a bit of bleach. I wish I knew a comparable way to clean it would bleach, but I haven't found anything else that really gets the bottom part looking new again.

I don't put bags in the trash can - all that winds up in there is empty shampoo bottles and razor blade packages. The empty cardboard TP rolls immediate are chosen by the child for crafts of pretend play. LOL.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#20 of 59 Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm surprised that some of you don't have much bathroom rubbish.

We invariably have rubbish in the bathroom bin including:

tissues

makeup wipes

cotton buds

nail clippings

hairs from my long haired daughters that I am always pulling out of the drain

dental floss..we all floss daily

used razor blades occasionally

Toilet rolls are recycled with paper

empty bottles are recycled.

SAHM to three
#21 of 59 Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

My one big no-no is bleaching the shower curtain a couple of times a year. I fill the tub up as far as it will go, put the curtain (just the bottom part, I leave it hanging normally on the rod) in the tub and pour in a bit of bleach. I wish I knew a comparable way to clean it would bleach, but I haven't found anything else that really gets the bottom part looking new again.

Are you talking about the external curtain (the pretty part) or the inside curtain (liner)?  We got a cloth liner and it stays pretty mildew free.  I just throw it in the laundry a few times a year.  And then you don't have a (potentially off gassing) vinyl liner.  

#22 of 59 Old 05-23-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

I'm surprised that some of you don't have much bathroom rubbish.

We invariably have rubbish in the bathroom bin including:

tissues

makeup wipes

cotton buds

nail clippings

hairs from my long haired daughters that I am always pulling out of the drain

dental floss..we all floss daily

used razor blades occasionally

Toilet rolls are recycled with paper

empty bottles are recycled.

Here's our bathroom rubbish:

Tissues - Hardly use tissues, but if we do I'd just drop it into the toilet for flushing the next time (or into the compost bin or fireplace)

Makeup wipes - I just wash my face at the end of the day in the basin

Nail clippings - compost or just thrown out the window into the garden

Hair - compost bin

Dental floss - yep into the bin

Razor blades - I'm an infrequent shaver, so maybe only one every 3-4mths

Toilet rolls are used as fire starters

Empty bottles recycled.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#23 of 59 Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 AM

What I do weekly:

change the trash

wash the mirror (my mom makes some glass cleaner, I have no idea what's in it)

wipe down the counter with my usual vinegar/water cleaner

wipe down and scrub the toilet with the cleaner

sweep and mop

During the week, I sweep and wipe down the counter and toilet as needed.

Dh does the bathtub whenever he thinks it needs done.

#24 of 59 Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I use Simple Green to clean the bathroom, and if I want something for scouring the tub I use baking soda and it works pretty well.  When we had tiles I used baking soda and a stiff brush, on our current plastic (fiberglass?) shower surround I just use a sponge with a green scrubby side.  We have a glass shower door right now, and I hate cleaning those, nothing seems to work except elbow grease and a scrubby sponge.  I use a regular toilet brush and try to give the toilet a swish every day so it doesn't get too bad, and once in a while I get in there and scrub it by hand.  We don't use a bag in the garbage but I am going to for the next couple months so I don't have to think about cleaning it out while I have a nb.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#25 of 59 Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM

for the rest of the house, i use a spray bottle with vinegar, dish soap, borax and water (and essential oils).  for the bathroom, i use method.  i just really love the way it smells.  there's a spray that i use on the shower, sink and outside of the toilet.  i use the toilet bowl cleaner (or sometimes i use borax or baking soda in there if i want it to be super awesome).  occasionally i use the scrub for the bathtub, but generally just use the spray.

so:

the very first thing i do is put the cleaner into the toilet, and then spray every surface (except the floor)

trash

sweep the floor

wipe down the shower/tub with a rag

wipe down the sink with a rag

scrub inside the toilet with a brush (occasionally i bleach the brush and its little stand/holder)

wipe down the outside of the toilet with toilet paper and flush it

spray and wipe the floor with one of the rags i already used

i tend to clean the mirror at other random times, and i use my vinegar solution for that.

#26 of 59 Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM

My husband recently bought some "natural" scrubbing bubbles shower spray and it worked really well on soap scum!  Before that I mostly just used elbow grease and whatever random soap was laying around. Sometimes I'd use baking soda, too, but I didn't notice a lot of difference than just using a green scrubby pad.

I use whatever I have laying around to scrub the toilet--baby shampoo, Dr. Bronners, hand soap. 

I wipe the outside of the tub and the sink with a wet microfiber cloth--no cleaner.  Microfiber is supposed to be antibacterial on its own.  Don't know if it really is, but it gets things clean.  They also clean mirrors really well (if it's just slightly damp).

#27 of 59 Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

My husband recently bought some "natural" scrubbing bubbles shower spray and it worked really well on soap scum!  Before that I mostly just used elbow grease and whatever random soap was laying around. 

Oooh do you know what brand it was? It would make me to happy to be able to cut this last major chemical out of our house, but right now the alternative is just not ever cleaning the tub. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#28 of 59 Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

DH uses a different bottle. Also, how can I put this delicately, DH has no hair. (Bald on top and shaves the rest off). And yet he replaces his shampoo more often than I do.

And the begs the question.... what is he shampooing? LOL

Rhianna

#29 of 59 Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM

I find that 1/4 cup of vinegar in the toilet left for about 15 min makes all scrubbing easy. I wonder what would happen if I put a little vinegar in the tank...

#30 of 59 Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM

Does anyone use a hand-held steam cleaner? I've used baking soda, ecover, and vinegar to clean the bathrooms for years. It never really occurred to me to kill germs in there, but those hand held steam cleaners...well they seem neat!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page