Do you find one area of your house easier to clean than another? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I just whipped through my usual cleaning of the downstairs in no time -- scrubbed the kitchen and bath, swept, dusted, and tidied up clutter in less than 30 minutes. But the thought of doing the same upstairs just makes me feel exhausted and overwhelmed. It's always that way -- I have no problem cleaning downstairs but hate cleaning upstairs.

Maybe because I hate cleaning bathrooms so much? The downstairs bath is just a powder room (toilet and sink, no tub/shower), so it takes all of 5 minutes to clean, but upstairs there are 2 full baths, one of which has a separate shower and tub, and it just feels like it takes forever to get things done up there. And I hate changing linens. My bed isn't so bad, because you can walk around both sides so it's easy to pull sheets on and straighten things, but DS has a bunk bed which is a nightmare to change, and DD is still in a crib, so even though there are fewer sheets/blankets to deal with I have to pull the whole mattress out to do it. And on the way upstairs I have to dust the banister -- going in and out of allllllll those little railings drives me crazy, and my fingers inevitably bash into a few railings so they're sore by the time I'm done. Also, we have more wooden furniture downstairs, but dusting upstairs seems harder because it just seems to somehow get dustier up there -- maybe because all the wood is espresso and every little thing shows up. Ugh, I guess I'll muster up the energy and just do it anyway, I just had to whine first. It will feel great this weekend to just get to do fun stuff with the family instead of having to spend the first few hours tomorrow cleaning. 

Anyway, do you guys have one area that just feels easier to clean than another? Which area do you dread cleaning, and which area do you not mind? 

ETA: Okay, just finished the upstairs. I guess it didn't take much longer (about 45 minutes). I did leave the kids' sheets for DH to change -- I just couldn't do one more thing after the bathrooms, dusting, and our sheets. So this weekend all we'll have to do is the upstairs floors -- woohoo! 

shaper likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are you a working mum? Just working out if that is why you need to do all the cleaning at once? If not, have you heard of 'Motivated Moms' chore planners? I discovered it this year and it has made cleaning a lot easier in the sense that I just do a few things per day and seem to pretty much keep on top of it all that way.

In terms of what I don't like doing, definitely it's the shower and bath for me too. Our shower has a mould problem also and as I am still waiting for our bathroom renovation to happen, it is just a matter of a lot of scrubbing...very boring!

I used to dread mopping the floors but since I got my enjo mop it is a breeze!

SAHM to three
#3 of 4 Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

For me, it's the downstairs. There's so much more stuff downstairs than upstairs. And all of the dark wood is down stairs. I'm not sure I've ever dusted the banister (oops,) but I think it's a job that I'll give my kids.

My kids have a bunk bed, too. We've learned that DS is much faster at changing the upper bunk than I am. He can get up there and hop around tucking in the sheet corners. I'm too big to go up there.

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No! They're all hard ... woe is me. wink1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page