How about a June declutter thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Working steadily on the books.  Can't make myself start the magazines yet.  Dh is going to help me start on the basement today, and we have spent the morning purging kitchen equipment.  We tossed storage containers missing a lid, warped cookie sheets, and 3 muffin tins (I don't remember the last time I made muffins,  and I don't have the patience for cupcakes).  We also cleaned out our covered back porch. 

I can't believe how much we have accomplished, and it is only 11 AM.  I never seem to start things because in my mind it will take "forever".  No wonder I have a clutter problem!

#32 of 37 Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM

I DID IT!!  joy.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

4. Declutter one area of garage.

Today I had a rush of enthusiasm for decluttering the garage, which is rather odd as I have been having dizzy spells all day, but somehow I managed to get all this done.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a before photo, but on second thoughts that may have been too embarrassing to share!  lol.gif

Anyway here are my newly decluttered shelves, at least part of them done anyway.

garage.jpg

SAHM to three
#33 of 37 Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Thriftyqueen, sorry to hear that! Good luck to you!

CW, good job - there's so much space there that if it were me I'd be tempted to fill it up again. That would be just like me and I have to guard against that.

I have more kitchen counter space in my new apartment than any I've had before including previous houses and apartments. I filled up the spaces when we first moved earlier this year but gradually have cleared it. Now there's a large empty space in the middle but I love it. So much more room for food prep. The other day dh looked at the counter and said it keeps changing and asked me what I did with everything, lol! Now to ensure that I don't fill it up.

I culled some more books on Sunday as well as dvds. I have one row of a bookcase with some beloved books, the next shelf are dvds and on the one below it sits vhs's. I also took some more clothes to Goodwill as well as the slow cooker and food processor I mentioned awhile back. I culled my greeting cards even more. Can't get rid of all of them but I don't want to at this point but I think I have them down to a respectable number that fits into a large shoebox.

#34 of 37 Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

I have almost made it through one of the 4 places where we are storing all of our belongings since the evacuation.  I feel pretty good about getting rid of 1/4 of the items in the one storage space.  Now I just need to go through the other 3 and get rid of that much.  Would feel pretty good to move back in with 1/4 less stuff!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#35 of 37 Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 PM

YES!!!  I need advice on decluttering.  Mainly, how much of certain items (towels, etc) do I really need.  I feel overwhelmed and irritated by all the stuff we have. 

-christy

#36 of 37 Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herakatgrl View Post

YES!!!  I need advice on decluttering.  Mainly, how much of certain items (towels, etc) do I really need.  I feel overwhelmed and irritated by all the stuff we have. 

-christy

My opinion about towels and sheets.... two sets of bath/hand/washcloths per person and two sets of sheets for each bed.  I keep the sheet set I'm not using folded under the mattress, so when it's time to change the sheets the next set is right there.  I learned this trick from the flylady website when I didn't have a linen closet.

That being said, I have a linen closet now and it's a MESS!!!!!

#37 of 37 Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Way to go thriftyqueen!!! I love that you're turning a disaster into the most positive thing it can be! And I hope that you are able to move into a healthy home soon. Mold is such a b!tch!!

It's so relative, herakatgrl! What she said (above) is great. Also I think some people have to do it in increments, even for a given item. It can be wonderful to cut out a lot at once, though, if you know logically that what you keep is plenty for the lifestyle you want. I was talking to a friend earlier (don't be mad I shared!! lol) who was explaining to me why she needs like all twenty of the pots and pans she has, and I just had to listen and understand that she's not ready for less yet, you know? But I like being down to "just enough" (missing one piece at the moment, I'd say) and I have experienced that being forced to wash something before using it makes me much more likely to wash it right after using it in the future! In the past I liked having a ton.

And mitchfammom I had totally forgotten that storage tip ages ago!!! WOW that really would have helped in my last living situation. Now I have space but I just might do that anyway so everything else can have more room to breathe in the drawers... maybe even have a dedicated drawer just for DD's books again :) I've been missing that book drawer in the bedroom, since we currently don't have -any- shelves.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page