Living without a freezer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know..I am a crazy...but it has been working for me!!! And I love it!!!

Meet my fridge:

http://www.compactappliance.com/DAR482-Midsize-Danby-Stainless-Steel-Energy-Star-Compact-All-Refrigerator/DAR482BLS,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Refrigerators#

I have been trying to live with less and live more efficiently. When I was in the military, we had a small fridge like this, except it has the tiny freezer in the top, which we never used. It makes me buy fresh food and use up what we have on hand, that week. Since it is just the 2 of us, it works out great and it has lowered my utility bill majorly. I am always up to a challenge and this is working out great. Just thought I would share.

#2 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Reminds me of when I was a child and we lived with my German grandmother for a year while my dad was deployed. She was a widow and lived in an apartment that my mother and her sisters were born and raised in. She never had much money and she had a small fridge about the size you're talking about. It had no freezer either. She went several times a week to the local bakery, butcher and little grocery store. I didn't appreciate at the time how fresh our food was!

accountclosed15 likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I live where it gets quite hot and humid and I was tired of the poor huge refrigerator trying to keep up. I barely used my freezer- maybe for some ice cream or french fries once in a while. Now I just make my own french fries and we make ice cream a real treat out.

#4 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 AM

I wouldn't mind having a fridge like this when we move - we will be having a freezer room anyway with several chest freezers for bulk meat/produce but a small fridge seems to make sense.

coolshine.gif
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM

We don't have a freezer -- well, we have a small freezer compartment, which is useful to sometimes have ice cream in.  DH likes to buy frozen fish & fish fingers, too.

Actually we are a family of 6 with only an under-the-counter size fridge with small freezer compartment.

I am not very minimalist in most respects, but quite pleased with this one :).

My mother was a middle-aged woman living alone & had one full size fridge-freezer (2 halves), with a spare full size fridge & a spare full size freezer in the garage.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 10 and under. ~
#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Banned

awesome!

we do a week's worth of shopping, which fits into our small fridge -- which has a freezer. we keep meat and veggies and berries in there. we did all fresh for a while, but it was wearing on us to shop so often (in addition to running DS around and working). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page