how many bath towels per person? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Every few years my MIL buys me new bath towels, usually this is after a visit where she notices that I have updated the bathroom. (which involves a new curtain or maybe paint). This is very sweet of her, but our towels are still in great shape and I must have at least 20 bath towels, which is crazy.

We are a family of 5, how many towels per person? I was thinking 2 would be sufficient, which would be 10 total. We generally re-use them, so I would end up doing towels between once and twice a week.

Does this seem reasonable?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#2 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

I think that is a reasonable amount of towels. I would add beach towels, too.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#3 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM

that sounds reasonable.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#4 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Eh, that depends if you have long hair  (or a child might have long hair) I always use one for my hair and one for my body. So that would bring my total to 4. Then my hair is not dripping all over the body I'm trying to dry.

#5 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM

I have 3 for myself. My husband and kids have maybe 2 each but they also use the beach towels sometimes which are also probably about 2 each.

#6 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM

2 is fine I think.  We probably actually have 3 per person, but we never get to the bottom of the stack.

#7 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM

My son and husband each have two and i have four.  They use one at a time, I use two.  I get bad acne, so I have one towel that I use only for washing my face, then one for my body and hair.  We also have extra towels for guests (in case we ever get any) and a few beach towels, then a few old towels that I bought from Goodwill to use on our dogs when they get baths or go outside in the rain, etc.  Bath towels are all white, beach towels are solid bright colors, dog towels are all some shade of blue. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#8 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM

We are a family of 5.  Each of the kids has 2 (each a specific color and their names on them) and then we have 4 plain white at 2 cheap IKEA towels that we use for dogs and send to camp with my ds.  I work at the rec center so we just use their towel when we go.

#9 of 27 Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM

We've got a few too many, but I am working on several decluttering projects and one of them is the linen closet. My GOAL is to have it down to this:

*2 bath towels and one beach towel for husband--We've got 2 brown fluffy ones for him, but no beach towel currently.

*2 bath towels and one beach towel for Bug--We've got 2 green fluffy ones for him, and I just got him a beach towel.

*4 bath towels and one beach towel for me--I've had my 4 thin towels and the beach towel for YEARS (since before I ever met my husband), but they are still in decent shape. I kind of prefer thin towels and use two at a time..one for hair and one for body.

*6 hand towels for the bathroom--We've got too many of these. I just want one and a spare for each of the three hand towel rings in our house.

*4 hand towels for well, umm, sex--We've got these, but in white...I want a color that won't show stains as easily.

So basically, I need to get rid of about 4 bath towels and 4 hand towels, buy one beach towel, and hopefully someday replace 4 other hand towels...and then we will be good!! I figure that since I do laundry at least twice a week and everyone tends to reuse their towels once or twice, we should be good even when we have guests that we have to loan towels to.

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#10 of 27 Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have 4 per person, a lot. I am lazy with laundry though. DD has 4 big brown ones, and I have 4 thin blue ones. If we have guests they can use DD's, they are nice enough.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#11 of 27 Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Well I am shocked...I actually had no idea how many towels we had so I just counted them and we have a massive 35 towels! And that's just bath towels, I haven't even counted the beach towels yet!!  Sheepish.gif  That is for 5 of us. We obviously have way too many towels, and they all get used in rotation which means that none of them get used enough to wear out quickly.

Even when they get tattered, DH insists on keeping them under the house for rags. I feel like they are the hardest thing to get out of the house! We have bags full of old towels under the house which he says he will need for when we one day get to renovate!

SAHM to three
#12 of 27 Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 PM

It depends on so much... if you go to the beach or pool daily, you might need at least 2 beach towels per person. But we did fine with four towels as a family of three (didn't have any beach towels at the same, except my striped bath sheet which doubles as both). I used to use the same one for a week. In our new place, I only use it a couple times because I always need it to mop up water that escapes the tub with the help of the toddler!

#13 of 27 Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We have one each and that seems fine. We have beach towels too that we bring out in the summer. 

#14 of 27 Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM

We have a set of regular towels, 1 for each person in a family of 4.  We hang them up and reuse them, and I wash them twice a week.  I also have a mishmash of reserve towels in my cedar chest that are for big spills, illnesses and whatever else they can be used for.  I haven't counted them but I'm guessing 5 or 6.  Plus two big beach towels.

#15 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 AM

I do not have a count of how many we have but it seems fine.  Meaning there are not tons in the cabinet and yet we never run out.  I have a couple of nice ones I save for guests, a bunch for us and the kids, thin older ones for dogs, anything ripped goes to the barn for horses or use as rags.  Now and then I might see a pretty towel at Marshalls for cheap and I pick it up.  Works for us :)

#16 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

At one time, I had 6 sets of towels for two people. It was excessive. This past year, we've had one towel each -- it isn't enough. I've decided to try for two towels each this next year. The ones from last year will be made over into rag towels (they took a beating!), and then I'll alternate towels week-to-week so that they have time to line dry well and all of that. And, I'm not going to go with white. I could not get my white towels white enough after the first few washings. I'm thinking of going with a dark, charcoal grey/black this year. :)

#17 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 PM

I have 4 fluffy white ones for DS and myself, 2 beach towels for at the pool, beach, picnics, etc.

#18 of 27 Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM

We are a family of four, one adult and three children. I recently drastically parred down on our towels, because we had way too many! They weren't cared for properly and were usually dumped while still damp on the bathroom floor.

We now have:

* 2 x bath sheets for me - one for body and one for hair

* 3 x bath sheets for the children - they are all the same colour (got them on sale!) so I sewed a different coloured ribbon on to each towel. Each boy knows his own colour and is responsible for hanging his towel on his hook after use.

* a couple of spares for guests

* a couple of old towels for cleaning up messes

* a beach towel each

* a couple of spare beach towels

I love our new simplified system! It has cut down so much on my washing - I am a firm believer that bath towels are only used to dry off clean bodies so they don't need washing more than once a week!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#19 of 27 Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

family of 5,

two bath towels per person, color coded so that even the children can work it out = no towel on the floor left there as in "it's not mine!"

plus the kids spare towel goes back in their individual wardrobe alongside their spare set of sheets after being line dried (on wet days, we need the spare towel, the first one might not be dry by the time it's needed in the evening .... especially if I'm not fast enough to start the washing machine early in the day.... in the summer it needs only 3 hours to dry ....)

we have about 4 beach towels

plus a few spare towels in case we have guests

am so glad I decided to color code the towels 6 years ago .... because by now, it's a non issue, no wrangling about who gets what towel etc ....

#20 of 27 Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Banned

due to our atmospheric conditions, we have opted for aquis microfiber towels in graphite x 6 (2 each). regular towels will not dry in the 24 hrs between washings (might in summer) without a towel warmer. i happened to pull out the microfiber one that I have (travel size) and dried myself and hair, and an hour later, the towel was dry.

so, aquis it is -- times 6. 

#21 of 27 Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM

right now we have 10 for a family of 5 plus 2-4 beach towels.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#22 of 27 Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 AM

Family of 4 & I'm not sure how many towels we have - maybe a dozen body towels? It's however many that comfortably fits on the towel shelf in the linen closet.

We tend to re-use the towels, but after a day or two, especially in the summer or damp winter, we need to wash and dry them. We do laundry almost daily (each load is about 7kg) and there is often a towel or two in there.

We all use the same towels, no one has a particular towel that is their own particular one.

#23 of 27 Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 AM

We have about 25 for a family of 5. This also includes beach towels.  I think it's too many but DH likes having more than enough. A few of them are starting to get kind of ratty looking. I'm not buying anymore for quite a while.

I think we could get away with 2-3 per person. I do laundry all the time so we never run out. I'm thinking about putting some of the extras away.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#24 of 27 Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Bump! How many towels do you have?

I have four large white bath towels, three colored, the hand towels (plus a few halloween and Christmas ones put away with decorations) and about ten face clothes.

Nothing really to declutter for a family of four.
#25 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM

I just got 8 bath towels on clearance for our new place. Then we have 3-4 beach towels. N no hand towels. There r 5 of us.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#26 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Family of 4, almost all adults now. 

We have

- a set of 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and 4 face cloths in light blue. 

- a set of 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and 4 face cloths in white. 

- 1 extra bath towel

- 6 beach towels 

I'm conflicted because they are about 5 years' old and dingy-looking (the blue has faded, the white had greyed) but otherwise in reasonable condition. I'd like to replace them but not sure I can really justify it. 

I think a good supply for our family is 6 bath towels and 6 hand towels. That's a bath towel each, 2 hand towels in each of our bathrooms (2 full bathrooms) and a couple of extra in each size for overnight guests.  

We also have about a half-dozen microfibre towels for hiking/camping that don't get used much anymore. It's been a couple of years since we did any camping. I just pulled them out of our linen closet and put them in a basket in our front hallway. We'll use them to clean up our dog after walks in this slush and the spring rain/mud. 

#27 of 27 Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

we are a family of 5

we have two bath towels per person for regular use (color coded so that's easier for putting away + kid's towels are in their respective wardrobes)

plus a few extra bath towels for when we have guests (family)

a set of beach towels

a set of swimming pool towels (yes, i'm that way, i have to have a different set for both usage ...)

a separate pile of small towels just for drying up hand in the bathroom, that are stored in the bathroom (i try to change it every day)

and i cut out tartan towels i liked in two so that i have 4 small hand towels for the kitchen -in two colors- and i put the kitchen hand towel and the tea-towel inthe wash most days too .... they might not need it every day but psychologically, that makes me happy, so ....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page