Help me to get rid of this! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need some strength here, everyone!  My Mom saved my original Barbie dreamhouse (yes, the huge 3-piece, 2 level house, as well as many pieces of furniture, the dolls, clothes, etc.).  My only daughter is almost 6 and does *not* play with ANY sort of dolls (in the past she would play with the 18" dolls on and off).  She has told me she does not want it, and it currently sits in our attic.  We just moved in March and will move anytime after December again this year.  Time to cleanse...right??

Do I save it just in case she has a change of heart, or find it another home?  Thanks for any support - I need it!!

#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Oh my gosh, sell it to me!!!  My dd is mad because I didn't save all my Barbies "in case I had a little girl".  If your dd isn't into it, I'd get rid of it.

I'm totally serious about buying it too.  Pm me if you're interested. 

#3 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

Oh my gosh, sell it to me!!!  My dd is mad because I didn't save all my Barbies "in case I had a little girl".  If your dd isn't into it, I'd get rid of it.

I'm totally serious about buying it too.  Pm me if you're interested. 

I might be closer to you and I have a boy.  I might even still have the cars, pool, camper, etc.

#4 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post

Need some strength here, everyone!  My Mom saved my original Barbie dreamhouse (yes, the huge 3-piece, 2 level house, as well as many pieces of furniture, the dolls, clothes, etc.).  My only daughter is almost 6 and does *not* play with ANY sort of dolls (in the past she would play with the 18" dolls on and off).  She has told me she does not want it, and it currently sits in our attic.  We just moved in March and will move anytime after December again this year.  Time to cleanse...right??

Do I save it just in case she has a change of heart, or find it another home?  Thanks for any support - I need it!!

I'm not sure you should get rid of it...because I am feeling a vibe coming from you even from here, from the other side of the world hehe....that you really love that dreamhouse.  Secondly your DD is only 5 going on 6. I found with my children that they didn't want certain toys at that age but a few years later they loved them!  Also just a thought, what if you eventually have another child and they may love dolls?

SAHM to three
#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 PM

My dd1 has never had any desire to play with dolls, and so I actually gave away tons of Barbies, American Girls, etc stuff to some friends thinking that she would be an only child.  Well, life happens and dd2 LOVES dolls, plays with them all the time.  I wish I had hung onto that stuff just a little longer for her.  I know, I'm no help!!

#6 of 7 Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

e-bay!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#7 of 7 Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM

It sounds like you have a good out of the way space to store it, so I would keep it. It sounds like it was special to you, and it may be later to your child. I think that it's not worth saving every single toy, but larger "groups" of classic toys like dolls, wooden trains, Legos, etc, are special if you have the space to easily store them. I am struggling a bit with that right now because we have ZERO out of the way storage space.

On the other hand, I really wish my mom had saved my Weeble Wobble A-frame house from the 70's, but really, my children are fine without it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page