#31 of 48 Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

I LIKE the purple tiles!

Me too! So old they came back in style winky.gif

So I decided I want to get a drying rack. We can't really have a clothesline outside and it's just not practical bc we have such bad allergies. I need something tall, sturdy, yet lightweight... It needs to be able to stay in either the second bedroom or at the top of the stairs and possibly move outside when the weather and pollen permit. Any recommendations? 

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakareyasMama View Post

Me too! So old they came back in style winky.gif

haha that's funny....you have a good point! Maybe I need to tell everyone it's just been decorated with the latest retro look!! ROTFLMAO.gif

SAHM to three
#33 of 48 Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Okay, I took the pictures this morning...

View from hallway is nice enough, which is why the area gets only the basic cleaning attention. The cabinet door must remain open for the kitty.

Before - View from Hallway - 1.jpg

This cabinet is fine. The pink box is for recognition purposes for guests, but the contents are little better quality (chlorine-free, cardboard applicator version).

Before - Bathroom Supplies Cabinet - 2.jpg

DD (age 10) had kitty box and surrounding area clean-up duty yesterday. Hmmmm.... Looking at this pic, I think I need to find a new home for some of the supplies on the right...

Before - Cat & Laundry Detergent Making Cabinet - 3.jpg

EEK! I am glad our visitors yesterday never used the powder room. I didn't realize no one put the experimental box of cat litter (box+litter all-in-one for toilet-training purposes) away over the weekend. This is where we generally keep the pile of dry, dirty rags, but I usually do one load of laundry a day. I was out of town over the weekend and haven't done laundry since (until today...after the pictures). This cabinet is also fine...holds handsoaps and air fresheners for the whole house. Only one Bath & Body Works hand soap left for those guests who go snooping and need their familiar soap...LOL...Nah, not really, just didn't realize we still had one.

Before - Sink & Hand Soap Cabinet - 4.jpg

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#34 of 48 Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 AM

Hmmm... what happened to the captions I typed??? I wrote out new captions since the site ate the ones when I added the images...

View facing out of the tiny space with the cabinets open (usually closed, obviously). If the space was bigger, I could have taken less pictures. The clean rags sticking out from the side of the dryer are in a magnetic box for accessibility purposes. The others are in that wire basket under the middle shelf in the cabinet. I think we have a plethora of rags these days!!! (There is another stash in the upstairs linen closet.) The laundry basket lives upstairs on a shelf above the laundry sorter in our master closet...it's only here when there is a load of laundry in progress. (I had just started the first load of the day.)

Before - Facing Out - 5.jpg

DH refuses to give up the Raid. The lemon scent is the only one I can handle, if I have to. I make my own insect repellent and leave it on the counter in the kitchen for easy-access. Most of the volume in this cabinet is empty bottles for homemade items (everything in the back of both shelves and along the rightside on the top shelf). Same with the cabinet under the sink... Hmmm... The Whisk was an emergency purchase and is taking for-ever to use up 'cause I hate the way it smells...I only use a teeny bit to avoid the lingering smell and it cleans all the clothes...potent stuff!

Before - Above Washer - 6.jpg

Middle and bottom shelves...too much stuff...

Before - Above Dryer Middle & Lower Shelves - 7.jpg

Top and middle shelves...I couldn't back up enough to get one shot. LOL

Before - Above Dryer Top & Middle Shelves - 8.jpg

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#35 of 48 Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

well, in irony, our dryer isn't working even with a lighter load, and turning it right-side up (it's designed to hang both ways), and so on. AND we got out power bill. For the month, it was $60 for gas, and $120 for electricity!!!! We have five electric appliances -- fridge, range, washer, dryer, and crock pot. 

the fridge is only 2 yrs old, and fairly efficient. we checked the seals and everything is fine. i keep it turned down pretty low, as well, just to keep it more efficient. the crock pot is about a year old, and yes, as efficient as they are. we use it about 1-3 times per week usually for 2-4 hrs depending upon what we're making.

the range is of unknown age, but as of last week, the oven isn't working. it's not that big of a problem -- we don't use it all that often -- but I would like to. So, we told the landlady and we asked her that if the range needs to be replaced, is it possible to connect to gas or is it only possible for it to be electric? It would be great to have gas -- we much prefer cooking with that! but, even if it is a new electric, it should be more efficient than the current one.

the washer and dryer are what is left. We do not use the lights much (we do candle light after dark and in the morning before sunrise -- just preference) -- just the bathroom light when we need to. I think the dryer ate a lot of power with this last bill, and since it's not working, we'll just be able to let it go. I"ll have the salvation army pick it up soon. WE like line drying, too, we've noticed.

So, that leaves me with the washer. I have quite a large sink in there, so I could easily hand wash a fair bit of clothing. I think i'm going to try that later this week and see how it goes. I think that -- if like the dishes -- I do a little bit each day, it won't be that big of a deal. One outfit from DH, myself, and DS, plus random wet things from DS. Then once a week do the towels and sheets (probably let them soak a bit in the whitening powder). It might work out ok. I'm going to run it as an experiment, at least. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before.

I used to think that i *needed* a dishwasher because we had so many dishes. But now, I have one that we never use (it's a rental, so it belongs to the landlady of course). I'm wondering if my washing machine can go the same way. hmm. 

#36 of 48 Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Hmm... there's no way I could part with my washer, but maybe your family could. I think trying it out is a good idea. Or you could decide that certain clothes are hand washed and others aren't-- that would at least cut down on your loads.

When you line dry your clothes, do they come out stiff and hard? I air dry but then thrown them for a tumble in the dryer to soften them up. Do you iron everything?!

And how do you line dry in the winter? Do you not have freezing temps? 

(Once when I lived in Spain I came home to find all my underwear frozen on the line lol.gif)

I am doing well... I had decided to get a drying rack but have since changed my mind for several reasons. First, DS is going to be independently mobile soon so that means everything is at risk for being knocked over and most drying racks aren't super sturdy. Also I think I would leave clothes on there for too long. Now I just hang things all over in the bathroom, on the banister, over doors, so it's right in my face and as soon as it's dry it goes into the dryer. And the last reason is just because I don't want anything else in my house!!!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#37 of 48 Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:

When you line dry your clothes, do they come out stiff and hard? I air dry but then thrown them for a tumble in the dryer to soften them up. Do you iron everything?!

Pretty much almost everyone only uses the clothesline for drying clothes, here in Australia.  In our family we only use our dryer for towels, to make them a bit softer.  None of our clothes come out stiff and hard at all.  If I don't want to have to iron something, I wash it on a delicate cycle and hang it out quickly before any creases set in.

I would imagine that using the dryer for everything would use up so much energy which is very costly, both money wise and for the environment?

SAHM to three
#38 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Do you use some sort of fabric softener? I'm asking bc when I hang my clothes to dry they are all crunchy-- cotton especially is unwearable without a spin in the dryer.

#39 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Do you use some sort of fabric softener? I'm asking bc when I hang my clothes to dry they are all crunchy-- cotton especially is unwearable without a spin in the dryer.

No I don't. Maybe the water is hard where you are, which contributes to the clothes being crunchy? Or it could be soap residue.

Found this info which may help:

"If you add 1 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of your washer, it removes any soap residue and naturally softens the fabric. Also, be sure not to use too much detergent, as this makes fabric stiff and hard; and you could add an extra rinse cycle to ensure that all the detergent is removed."  

http://cleaning.lifetips.com/cat/7405/stain-removal-from-clothes/index.html

SAHM to three
#40 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Oh interesting! I use homemade detergent so that could be the issue maybe I should dilute it more. I'll try it!

#41 of 48 Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Banned

i just use vinegar, lavender EO, and baking soda. I also will use a whitening powder if I need to.

I have done two days now of hand washing. I don't care for it, but it's not terribly difficult. First, at night, I put everything in the laundry sink with some whitening powder. Then, i do a quick cold rinse in the morning. then refill with cold and add the vinegar, baking soda, and EO. Then, I use a large wooden spoon to agitate it for several minutes. Then I agitate it by hand (gently squeezing the clothes and drawing cleaning agents through them) Then I let it soak for a bit while I do something else (usually another chore), and then rinse. Nothing in this lot really needed to be "scrubbed" -- so I rinsed everything out. 

then i started hand wringing and it was really tough. So, i put the load into my washer and put it on the 2 minute spin cycle. I decided to do it twice -- even though it felt fine/normal after one -- to see if it would shake off more water. Some items came out nearly dry. I hung everything on the ine and most of it was dry in several hours!

We do not really get freezing temps here. It's sort of like San Fran or Portland in the weather. We occasionally get below zero, but not really. THe issue is really the wet. It usually takes several days for clothes to dry. But, using the spin cycle twice really made a huge difference on how wet the clothes were before I hung them up, so that's a process that I can easily repeat. 

I think that I may need to scrub with my rock if I have really muddy/dirty clothes, but since DS is toilet trained and we rarely have accidents, and we now basically pre-soak everything, there's really no need to scrub. which is nice.

Also, I don't iron anything. I don't find that I need to. But I don't have anything that needs to be ironed anyway, like oxford style sirts. we really don't own any. Just a few for DS, and he doesn't care if he's wrinkled.

#42 of 48 Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Eek! one week to go... I've been distracted from this task but am feeling pretty good about the house overall.

Now I need help... We keep all cleaning supplies above the washer (see photo) so that we don't have to worry with baby-proofing and it's just easier than having stuff spread out. So I have all these cleaners... some I use daily-- some rarely-- in this closet. There is a ton of vertical space her e and it feels wasted. Aside from going out and buying a shelf for these bottles, how could I better make use of this space?? 

Quote:

The entryway is my biggest problem.

My space for laundry is a small closet. We actually store all of our household cleaners on the top rack so we don't have to worry with baby-proofing all the cabinets. The laundry supplies are stored on top of the dryer, but it doesn't bother me there at all. This space is always a bit untidy, but I do laundry every day so it's constantly being changed. It's upstairs right next to our bedroom.

DSC05872.JPG

#43 of 48 Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I'm leaving town this weekend sooooooooo.......here are the "after" pics.  I apologize in advance that you can barely see anything.  We have a teeny-tiny laundry room....that tends to house big, big messes!

First, I finally found and installed the right weather strip for under the door.  No more grabbing random coats to stop the drafts or heat leakage. 

IMG_3738.JPG

Not a lot of changes here, but I've just started canning and wanted to make room for new canning supplies.

IMG_3739.JPG

A little less cluttered now. 

IMG_3740.JPG

The secret to my organization sanity: Photo boxes!!!!  love.gif

IMG_3742.JPG

The cabinet tops are mostly empty.  A laundry basket normally roosts up there but was occupied at the time that I took this.  To the right, there is some food stored up for our coming trip, and I didn't want my LOs to be able to reach it.  redface.gif

IMG_3743.JPG

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#44 of 48 Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Okay here was my "inspiration room" I loved the map and the pinky colors on the fabric. Eventually I'll get some of those great glass jars to put my homemade detergent in, but I'm going to use up what I have made first. Too bad I couldn't punch out a beautiful, sunshiny window lol.gif

Stylish Laundry Rooms Inspiration Gallery | Apartment Therapy San Francisco

So here are my laundry closet after pics:

The laundry necessities are kept in the old filing box until I get those glass containers. There's a cut-up old rug on top of the dryer and on the top shelf too. It just adds some color and texture and absorbs any falling liquid that may occur.

DSC06023.JPG

I hung this old poster I had from Barcelona to get some pinky color on the empty, white void. I also covered some shoe boxes w an old map. All the cleaning products in the house are in there. There's a ton but eventually I'll whittle it down as I learn to make my own stuff and use more natural, multipurpose cleaners.

DSC06026.JPG

As you can see the rack is still being used as a drying place for socks and little person clothes. It looks kinda junky, but hey-- that's life. I may eventually hang a line in the closet itself. The Scrabble pieces are hot glued onto magnets. This makes a great play place for the 2 y/o I babysit. She entertains herself with that while I hang all these clothes! I used these bc I had them from my teaching days (in fact a lot of this stuff is repurposed from my classroom), but I also thought making "clothing" magnets would be super cute too!

DSC06025.JPG

The main drying space is in the hallway bath. We don't use it for showers (just baby baths) so I decided to hang a homemade line across the tub to get a few more feet of space. I am thinking of getting clothespins, but I don't know if they are necessary. I may eventually get some more zig zags of line throughout the whole room. 

DSC06028.JPG

I don't know why my photos look so yellowish... I guess I don't have natural light in these rooms! I enjoyed this challenge... now what's on for next month??

#45 of 48 Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Turquesa... nice job! What kind of weathering strip did you get? Was it easy to do? Our front door desperately needs some! Also, I really like the photo boxes idea!

#46 of 48 Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Nice work!

I mostly finished the task, but haven't taken any "after" pictures. The only things left are the very top shelves because I cannot reach them... lol.gif  I can drag a chair or grab the two-step stool, though, just haven't gotten to it yet...

#47 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 AM

I really love that idea of the boxes covered in maps! Thanks for the inspiration.

SAHM to three
#48 of 48 Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Banned

i seriously need to take pictures. the flooring is still stained, of course, but otherwise, the place is clean and organized! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page