July Monthly Room Challenge: Laundry/"Mud" Room - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I haven't seen a monthly room challenge posted here for awhile, but I really benefited from when we use to do them.  Anyone up for it again?

The good news: The place where you do your laundry is usually small.

The bad: It's usually a storage area that collects all sorts of rick-rack.  So you may need to do some decluttering and come up with some innovative storage solutions.  Plus, you'll have to venture into some scary places, like dusting behind and between your washer and dryer!

Cardinal rule: Thou shalt NOT use the top of your washer or dryer as a storage space.  lol.gif  Unless you've found a clean way to do it, of course, but I'm aiming for keeping mine completely clean and uninhabited.  thumb.gif

If you don't have a laundry room (e.g. you go elsewhere for coin-op laundry), focus on the place surrounding the entryway in your home that gets the most use.  Are you collecting too many pairs of shoes there?  Piles of junk mail?  Things that you've been intending to put in the recycling bin? 

Is anyone else in?

ETA: Please post before/after pics if possible.  I need to go take mine still! 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh I'm in for this!  We've only been here 3 months so it's not degraded inot a disaster ... yet.  But it's never quite as tidy as other areas. 

*Top of washer & dryer  -  ALL I have on top of these is a laundry basket on the dryer, and the bucket of detergent & a bottle of stain treater on the washer :D   Pretty pleased that I've kept it that way this long!

*Laundry sink, EMPTY!! and clean

*floor... this is where we part ways lol.  the floor in here always seems mess... a couple of piles of laundry waiting to go at any given time... never clear enought o get thoroughly swept & cleaned etc.  

*and the room itself is just ... well a tiny hallway of a room witha  door at each end,  not that I aspire to spend much time there lol.

I shall take a pic shortly if I can save it correctly

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Oh yes I need this!

I had never heard of a MUD room till I started posting here, however we have a room downstairs which eventually is supposed to become our new laundry (currently using another room as laundry); at the moment it is just a mess, a good spot to kick off muddy shoes. So I have taken to calling it the Mud room....to which all family members always pipe up "Mud room? What's that?"

That is the room I am going to focus on clearing out in July. smile.gif

Off to get a before shot before I forget!...might be a bit too embarrassing to share though.....

SAHM to three
#4 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 PM

OK just took a few photos for the hall of shame...it's funny how you don't really SEE how bad things are some times when you are used to a room being messy, the mess becomes completely invisible.

Bear in mind that this is a room we hardly ever go into, it hasn't yet been made into a laundry, so it is pretty much unused, so please don't think I am too much of a slob! Sheepish.gif

It is also waiting for a major renovation...ghastly purple tiles from the 1970's!

I am going to put these up now because if I don't do that, I probably won't bother to tidy this room up at all. 

I have to put up with the filing cabinets for now, and I think it may be tough to get DH to move those boxes of croc hats, but at least I can move a fair bit of the junk out of there.

mud_room6.jpg

mud_room3.jpg

mud_room2.jpg

mud_room4.jpg

mud_room5.jpg

SAHM to three
#5 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Banned

i can't post pics to save my life, but I'll try to do this one.

our mud room is small, and my current issues are these:

1. the ground where the washer is supposed to go is so ridiculously uneven that we'll have to create a small platform to actually get the washer to work in that space. It is currently pulled out onto the flat area, and so basically in the middle of the floor.

2. the dryer needs to be hung on the wall (this is DH's job, and DH hasn't been that motivated to do it).

Everything else is fine. We have a small shelf where we hold our soaps (all of our soaps -- laundry, all purpose cleaner, whitening powder. Yes, 3 soaps.), and the space under the sink will likely be where we put our earth quake kit when we get it all together. it's a lot to get together.

I also want to get a better clothes line system for outside. So, i'll tack that into the list. 

#6 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 AM

Our laundry room is just large enough for us to fit a washer/dryer, walk in and take a laundry basket.  I am guilty of keeping the laundry soap on the washer...but honestly we only have one shelf up there and it's pretty darn high up.  So keeping the detergent on top seems like the best option.  I could literally clean the entire thing out in a half an hour or so...BUT I do have two issues.  We keep the kitchen trash in there (DS gets into everything-2 y.o.) and that's not always convenient, and I also store my pet grooming supplies on top of about 1/3 of the shelves.  Thinking about moving some of those in the garage, but it gets to about 110 degrees in the garage so concerned the heat will destroy the supplies.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 48 Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

For those who find this easy, congratulations!  LOL!  My biggest challenge will be to train DH not to leave crap on the washer as he's coming in and out of the garage. 

Photos still to come....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 48 Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Good idea here, I need to work on organization and this might get me motivated to start, My washer/dryer is stuffed into the corner of the kitchen right by the back door.. Its a small area and its pretty clear but there are a few issues with it..

1) its where we keep all the animal supplies and I don't like them there so I need to

• declutter all the dog toys the dog refuses to play with. We went a little nuts when we first got the dog and he doesn't really like toys so there are only 1 or 2 he will play with.
  • figure out a storage solution for dog kibble and kitty kibble
  • figure out a good way to store the things we use on a daily basis for the animals (poop bags, brushes, treats for training etc)

2) dirty rags tend to get tossed either on the dryer or the ground

• figure out a way to store dirty towels, thinking of getting a small laundry basket to keep in the cubbie for rags

3) the place is depressingly ugly, it really detracts from the whole kitchen

• figure out a way to spruce up the place.

4) When it rains mud from the outside gets tracked in and gets all over the place and behind/beside the washer dryer

• move the machines, sweep/mop under
  • figure out a way to keep mud to a minimum. Not sure how to do this since our yard turns into mud as soon as it rains

5) The shelves are slowly becoming a junk area

• clear off the shelves
  • decide what Im storing there and move the rest to another area. Ideally I want to use those shelves for sewing/crafting supplies for me and art supplies/messy play supplies for the girls.

Thats about it. I'm trying to actually decorate and make the place nice instead of doing what I usually do and ignore it. We actually own a washer and dryer now so I know we will have them for a while so Im more likely to do some decorating to make them pretty. Might sound sad but DH and I have been married for 5 1/2 years and these are the first appliances we have owned. Before they have always been supplied by the housing we were living at. Maybe next we will go buy or make some curtains, never had those either lol.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 48 Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Thats about it. I'm trying to actually decorate and make the place nice instead of doing what I usually do and ignore it. We actually own a washer and dryer now so I know we will have them for a while so Im more likely to do some decorating to make them pretty. Might sound sad but DH and I have been married for 5 1/2 years and these are the first appliances we have owned. Before they have always been supplied by the housing we were living at. Maybe next we will go buy or make some curtains, never had those either lol.gif

This is what i'm wanting to do, even though mine is a separate little room.  I think it might be looney to hope that I'd do better at keeping the laundry done if the room wasn't such a blah space? lol

Curtains!  Yes!  My laundry does have a plain, boring window... a pretty curtain or even a window 'mistreatment' topper type would help.  (see here if you aren't familiar with the term!)  I'm also thinking about a twist on my FIL's obsession with putting tea towels on top of all appliances (even the microwave, to stop dust, despite me pointing o0ut the need for ventilation lol) and seeing if I can't find some fun fabric and make simple rectangles to protect the tops of the machines from getting cruddy/scratched.  Thinking if they look cute, maybe less crap will get put down on them? thumb.gif

The floor and I are STILL not seeing eye to eye *sigh*  There's laundry everywhere... I really need to spring for a couple of attractive hampers if I can find them cheap enough (and narrow enough, I don't want to have to squeeze past them!) 

So my list for the next month or so, on the VERY cheap, is to find some inexpensive fabric and dig out the sewing machine... and see if I can't score a cheap wicker hamper or something similar :D

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#10 of 48 Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Serial posting to say that I've just unearthed my laundry room floor!  I have the final load in the washer and as soon as I hang it out on the line, I am going to roll up my sleeves and wipe off the tops of the machines and then sweep and mop the floor even *gasp*    Although I have just discovered that my beloved steam mop seems to have died *sigh* 

#11 of 48 Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM

I have been working on my laundry room too. I am hosting a kiddie party for my dd's 7th bday, and the plan is to have the kids on the screened porch mostly. The bathroom and laundry room are right at the back door, so anyone needing the bathroom will pass through, so I figured I'd better get started. I've been working on it off and on for a while, so I don't have any pics. But at this moment, there is a bunch of dirty laundry that I just dumped on the floor. The plan is to try to get through it tomorrow, and then not do much more throughout the week. We'll see if that plan works out. lol

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#12 of 48 Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

I have been working on my laundry room too. I am hosting a kiddie party for my dd's 7th bday, and the plan is to have the kids on the screened porch mostly. The bathroom and laundry room are right at the back door, so anyone needing the bathroom will pass through, so I figured I'd better get started. I've been working on it off and on for a while, so I don't have any pics. But at this moment, there is a bunch of dirty laundry that I just dumped on the floor. The plan is to try to get through it tomorrow, and then not do much more throughout the week. We'll see if that plan works out. lol

Hehehe  I think it's a very cunning plan Sheepish.gif  I'm listening to my washer hit take off speed (aka the spin cycle on a front loader lol) and I'll be at the clothesline in a few minutes from the sounds of it.  I was contemplating looking in my fabric 'stash', to see what I had that might do a fair job on the window,  (stash wasn't a great deal anyway) and then remembered I decluttered it before our move in April!  Ooops hehehe

Editing to add pic, I hope!:

laundry.jpg  My laundry has a FLOOR!?!  To the right is the laundry sink, with the microfibre mop heads hanging dry after doing the floor ;)   That is, shamefully, the only time since we moved in April1, that the floor in there has been mopped redface.gif 

#13 of 48 Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Hey Cari...not fair that you didn't share a before photo, after I bared all! lol.gif

But it looks like you have done a good job anyway, very neat now.

SAHM to three
#14 of 48 Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 AM

I have made some progress, decluttered this side of the room.

You can see why I can't wait to get this room renovated....the tiles are so ugly. horrors.gif

After

Pegs

SAHM to three
#15 of 48 Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM

I don't have any before pics. We just moved here after living in an apartment without a laundry room in unit. I never again will take for granted my laundry room. We went with a stacker washer/dryer to give us more room in the laundry room for a pantry as well.

026.JPG027.JPG028.JPGCan rotators with additional canned food behind. Home made laundry detergent in a bin, the basket behind is for random sox. Behind the door is where the ironing board is. :)

CariOfOz likes this.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#16 of 48 Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Such beautiful results!  Today, working on cleaning off the hooks, which have accumulated bags and bags of crap "for later."  Still need to upload those photos.....

#17 of 48 Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM

We need to have more BEFORE photos please!   

It's not as interesting to just see the after shots, if we didn't know what it looked like before. 

Surely I am not the only one game enough to put up embarrassing before photos?  winky.gif

SAHM to three
#18 of 48 Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 PM

Made some more progress today in the room of doom....

I have discovered I have a floor which is actually a fair bit bigger than I realised!  thumb.gif

Floor

SAHM to three
#19 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

IMG_3716.JPG

Sorry to make you crane your head sideways.  We had no weather stripping under the door and were using whatever we could find...stray jackets, etc. 

IMG_3717.JPG

Washer and dryer had become the catch-all for stray hardware. 

IMG_3720.JPG

Another neck-straining view.  Sorry!  Cabinet needs some serious organizing and decluttering.  It contains some chemicals that we stopped using years ago!  bag.gif

There.  Happy now, Clutter Warrior?  winky.gif

#20 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday: Installed weather stripping (and boy, do I feel sexy wielding a hacksaw!  lol.gif)

Using homemade soft scrub, cleaned exterior and interior doors.

Scrubbed down washer, dryer, and baseboards.

Today: Getting BEHIND washer and dryer for some more scrubbing, lining and cleaning out more cabinet shelves.

#21 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Well, poo.  For me this will have to be my laundry room/bathroom as they are one and the same.  It's shameful at this point. 

I'll take some 'before' pics this afternoon, and the after pics- maybe in a couple weeks after I get out a shovel and backhoe.   It really is the worst room in my house as it is the catchall for everything. 

Also, what idiot put CARPET in a laundry/bathroom? 

#22 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Mine has carpet too...  Ours is an old house, built in 1915 or so.  Our mudroom is actually a converted porch that also houses a teeny half bath.  The entire porch (we still call it the back porch, even though it hasn't been an actual porch since maybe 1960) is about 7 feet wide and 8 or 9 feet long.  It houses our HE washer, ancient dryer (we had planned to replace it and stack them, but it hasn't happened yet), two tall cabinets, and is a dumping ground for our shoes.  There's nowhere to put a laundry basket where it's not blocking either the back door or the bathroom door.  The carpet is old and gross, but since the floor slopes, we could only replace it with vinyl sheet flooring.  The layout is awkward, since you come in the back door and travel on a diagonal to get into the kitchen.  And, it's our main entrance.  I hate it.

I'm at work, and the only pics I have are from when we moved into the house 6 years ago.  It's very cluttered and full of laundry at the moment.   But here they are: http://prairiebox.blogspot.com/2005/09/more-ideas.html

I already started cleaning it last weekend, and then I found this thread.  It's already cleaner, but still needs work.  My main focus is going to be going through the cabinets.  They're full of chemicals for stripping paint, stain, shellac, and other house renovation-related items.  DH is in the process of purging the garage (joy.gif), so I plan to put a shelf out there with all the junk I need, but don't need in the house.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#23 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM

OOh this is just what I need! I'm actually starting in the kitchen, but I'll detour to the entryway and laundry closet too. So we have a small entryway with a coat closet (which is crammed full of random clothes and food that won't fit in the kitchen) and a shoe rack (with too many shoes on it). Also there are always bags (DH's freakin' soccer bag!!) and whatnot standing around...

DSC05871.JPG

DSC05870.JPG

DSC05869.JPG

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#24 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 02:24 PM

The entryway is my biggest problem.

My space for laundry is a small closet. We actually store all of our household cleaners on the top rack so we don't have to worry with baby-proofing all the cabinets. The laundry supplies are stored on top of the dryer, but it doesn't bother me there at all. This space is always a bit untidy, but I do laundry every day so it's constantly being changed. It's upstairs right next to our bedroom.

DSC05872.JPG

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#25 of 48 Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Hey Cari...not fair that you didn't share a before photo, after I bared all! lol.gif

But it looks like you have done a good job anyway, very neat now.

Sorry!  I couldn't find my camera when I started & my phone was flat at the time!  Seriously though, just imagine a HUGE pile of laundry that obscured about 85% of the floor area in front of the washer/dryer and misc crap on the dryer top.  Think all the legos that get found in the wash, random pebbles, two costumes that somehow migrate to the laundry room every chance they get!  Doing the mountain of laundry was what really took the longest.. it was 4 loads worth redface.gif  After that it was fairly easy... mainly because the room is too bloody tiny to use for anything else, and it's located in a weird space that is sort of 'out of the way' for every day storage.   Now if we hit the linen cupboard just outside the door?  I'm in deep kimchee!!

Give me a week... I'll be able to post a suitably embarassing before picture I'm sure  ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:

Made some more progress today in the room of doom....

I have discovered I have a floor which is actually a fair bit bigger than I realised!  thumb.gif

Floor

Oh I missed  a multi quoted post :P  You have a floor too!  congratulations :D  I am a bit floor obsessive honestly... to me it seems that a room will always look a mess if the floor isn't clear, ya know?   But if I sweep the floor and get stuff off it, it feels a million percent cleaner... even if I've just stacked stuff in a corner lol.

#26 of 48 Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

so, coolness.

DH and our friend Simon just got the dryer up, the washer back in it's spot WITH a board under it to balance it out so that it works! We just need to ask the workmen on monday to saw off a piece of it (right not it's sticking out a bit) and then it will be perfect. :D

We have decided to continue our line drying process, which means we will be creating some lines. Right now, there's an accordion rack outside our laundry room door (under cover so no rain!), and we have been using what appears to be some kind of heavy string that we found outside as a line next to. It's slack, so we're going to wind it back away and get a proper line going so that we can hang more clothes. :D 

Also, we had a line strung in the open space between our covered outdoor space and our "greenhouse" which will be a greenhouse and DS's "play room" when we get to it (which shouldn't be too long), but our neighbor's dog's body smell wafts over the wall and onto our clothes. We love our neighbors and the dog -- so it's no complaint, just an observation that we shouldn't hang our clothes near there! LOL We'll use the dryer for jeans, towels, and sheets/etc, but let the rest line dry because it goes pretty quickly under the covered area.

I'll see if I can snap some pictures and get them going for you. It's intense, you know, a tiny little room. :D

#27 of 48 Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM

We recently renovated our laundry room, installing cabinets and countertop that we recycled from an office (it was their photocopier corner).  H installed a countertop sink and my Mum made me a curtain for under the sink from fabric I've had since making curtains for my house at university (circa 1998!).  We also recycled our faucet from the kitchen in there.  It looks FAB and I just bought a laundry basket cart to keep the piles of laundry off the floor.  I will post photos of after although I don't have any befores.  The extra storage space is fabulous for dog towels/sheets, summer garden toys and other miscellaneous stuff that was in random places before.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#28 of 48 Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM

This will be an excellent challenge to get me going again!

Our laundry room is behind the same door as our powder room. Neither area looks bad when walking by or even being in there. Just don't open the cabinets! winky.gif

I think a thinning out is in order, then a deep clean. Considering a good chunk of the month is over already (just saw this thread), it seems do-able and worthwhile. Thanks!

(Yes, I'll snap a 'before' shot with the cabinets open and post it. It only seems fair... )

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#29 of 48 Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

I LIKE the purple tiles!

Quote:

It is also waiting for a major renovation...ghastly purple tiles from the 1970's!

#30 of 48 Old 07-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Banned

so, because it is monsterously wet here and i can't open the laundry room window (i have to clear our that corner of the "greenhouse" first -- which i'm doing tomorrow-- the landlady has a shelf in front of the window and the window opens OUT), the room was *swamped* in moisture from the washer and dryer. HOLY MOLY was it wet. like, dripping from the ceiling wet. LOL

i had to mop it up off the floor and walls two or three times. man-oh-man. i'm glad they used that "aqua-stuff-whatever-paint" because it washes easily, and it's mold resistant. 

also funny, DH got very cranky about both our washer and dryer. before the board, the washer "wouldn't work" and DH couldn't do anything to "make it work" which -- apparently -- consisted of complaining about it not working. I pulled it out to level ground, and it worked again! surprise!

then, we got the board, and all has been well with the washer.

on DH's second attempt to use the dryer, he calls me and says "it's not working!" and i say "well, ok, what have you tried?" and he goes "i put the clothes in, and i turned it on. and it makes ahumming noise, but nothing else happens!!!" and i say "wel, try taking some clothes out. perhaps it's too heavy to tumble." and he goes "but it worked before!" (which was a tiny load of DS's clothes). and i said to try it. So, he says he does "still not working" and i say "ok, just line dry what you can, and leave the rest, we'll figure it out."

I come home and try it, and simply -- take more clothes out. and lo and behold! it works. go figure.

LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page