Downsized, upsized and to much "crap" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Six months ago my family and I moved. DH took a new job that afforded our family moretime together but involved me quitting my job (I worked full time as a nurse for about a year, prior to that I was a SAHM). Our transition had us putting out 1850sq ft home up forsale and moving 5 hours away. Prior to the move I paired down a lot.

We moved into a 973 sq ft apartment while having some items in storage and also storing somethings in a friends garage. The apartment was temp. while we found longer term housing. This week we moved into our townhouse 1200sq ft. Whilist packing for the 2nd move I again purged thru and as I unpack I've been really evaluating items.

But all I keep flashing too is my friend's garage with about 30-40 boxes of crap that I packed 9-12mos ago. I'm not even sure whats in them. Part of me just wants to throw them out not even go thru them but obviously if I thought enough about the item to pack it and store it for a year then I should atleast give it the once go thru. Then again we haven't needed it in a year do I really need it?

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#2 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we are in a similar-ish position.

when we moved to NZ, we paired down to about 25 boxes. I have a pretty good idea of what is in each box, because there is a list for each box (each box is numbered, and I made a list -- this is so that it's easier for it to get through customs and such). 

my original plan was to move it within 3-6 months of moving here, but it just never came to be. we've been living 1.5 years without it.

my current plan is to go through it via skype. Well, the first step is to sit down with DH and go through each list, highlighting items in question. there are, likely, several. 

our kitchen boxes are absolutely fine, as are many of our book boxes. I know that I have shoes, some books, and some other things that I can release -- they weren't really practical in the US, and they sure as heck aren't practical here. So, I know that we'll be able to pare down even more.

So, I -- personally -- would go through it. You might find that of the 30 boxes, you have 10 boxes of things that you bring with you, but it's at least worth going through IMO.

#3 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I did something similar about a year ago.  We have been living abroad and before we made our move, I went through all of the boxes that were stored in our basement.  I donated more than half of it, tossed a lot (things that were ruined by moisture) and saved a small number of items.

I would also suggest gong through it all.  If only for the psychological release that comes from looking at things that once seemed worthy of saving, but are now destined to be donated.  I went through all of our stuff and realized that I longer needed or even wanted these things in my life.  It was a thoroughly satisfying feeling to haul it all out.  

And the physical effort of hauling heavy books and rugs and gear is a memory that lingers.  I think very carefully before buying anything!  Will I still want this in 5 years?  Or will I only end up packing it and storing and hauling it like I have done before?  

carmel23 likes this.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#4 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

I went through all of our stuff and realized that I longer needed or even wanted these things in my life.  It was a thoroughly satisfying feeling to haul it all out.  

I agree with going through it...as Ruthiegirl says it can be worth it just to make the realisation that you have changed.

I went through some stuff in our basement a couple of weeks ago, that has been there boxed up for years, and it made me realise that I am no longer the same person I was back then at all....even from the point of view that stuff was carelessly tossed in boxes and completely muddled up, whereas now I feel so much more organised and would have sorted things before storing them.

I also found that a lot of it I no longer need, but one good thing was finding a lot of things that I had wondered where on earth they had disappeared to!

SAHM to three
#5 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM

You have described my life right now. We have so many unpacked boxes still after 5 years of relocations. I didn't unpack many things because I didn't want to have to pack it all back up again. We are in a rental house right now, looking to buy. We thought we would be here for 1 year, but it's turning into 2. But now that we have lived without this stuff for so long, I wonder whether we really need or want it.

I'm not looking forward to unpacking stuff, just to donate it or get rid of it, but I know I need to look through it and make sure that I'm willing to let it go permanently. Some things I'm looking forward to using again. I'll let a lot of it go. The problem is that I don't want to start unpacking until I know we are ready to move again. It's such a headache. 

And amen to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

And the physical effort of hauling heavy books and rugs and gear is a memory that lingers.  I think very carefully before buying anything!  Will I still want this in 5 years?  Or will I only end up packing it and storing and hauling it like I have done before?  

I am so careful now before I buy anything. It has to be very special before I'll let it into the house. 

carmel23 likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I just unloaded the last carload of stuff from out 974sq ft apartment. I'm spending the rest of this week unpacking everything and really being cut throat about what I keep and don't. Right now the townhouse looks like a bomb of boxes exploded. Just stuff everywhere, at least everything is in it's correct room.

Next week my girls are going to a 4 day (all day) Science camp. While they are gone I plan to spend two days getting everything out of my friend's place and going thru the boxes. I think about a third of them are books. I purged thru 2/3s of all *my* books and the girls books before we moved. I think I could cull another 2/3s. I love books but I'm loving living with less visual clutter a lot more.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page